2010 Exige: Like? Dislike? No real difference? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 09:40 AM

The ONLY difference between an '09 Exige and a '10 Exige is purely cosmetics. If Lotus is stating that it is stiffer by whatever percentage, it probably has different suspension which you can find better in the aftermarket world. The chasis is the same, the interior is the same, the engine is the same and if I remember correctly, the 2010 model is slightly heavier (not by much though). When the Elise/Exige models go to a complete redesign (I believe 2011 or 2012), expect an amazing design which will make you drool however, the chasis will remain the same with an obvious engine change. I was told this about 4-5 months ago by Lotus US & UK however, with the new CEO, things may change, who knows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 01:29 PM

While the main chassis is the same, I think you will find that the steel rear subframe is different, and as per Lotus, stiffer
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 02:05 PM

From the official Lotus press release:

Rear chassis stiffness increases by 30%
The Exige Cup 260 now has an evolution of the rear diffuser and structural shear panel based on the version developed for the Exige GT3 race car, which increases the lateral stiffness of the rear subframe by 30% further enhancing its outstanding handling.

The rear diffuser and structural shear panel links the subframe to the main chassis to give greatly increased lateral stiffness to the rear subframe suspension pickup points, resulting in better tyre contact patch control.
This stiffness is also more applicable to those drivers who race or take part in track days using slick tyres that can also be fitted to the Exige Cup 260.

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueno View Post
The ONLY difference between an '09 Exige and a '10 Exige is purely cosmetics.
That is inaccurate. There is a mechanical difference between 2010 and 2009 which actually results in reduced performance but lower CO2. (see press release below).

For 2010, the Elise now has a 0 to 60 mph time of 5.1 seconds while the Elise SC does it in 4.3 seconds (Compared to 4.9 and 4.3 seconds for 2009).

The 2010 Lotus Exige S gets from 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds while the 260 is estimated to do it in 4.0 seconds (Compared to 4.0 and 3.8 seconds for 2009).

As far as the chassis stiffness - this has only been claimed on the 2010 Exige 260 - which the US isn't getting. Regardless the 2010 Exige 260 is the same chassis as the 2009 Exige 260 - which actually is stiffer than other Exige or Elises primarily due to a revised rear sub frame (but there are other bits that are alledged to help stiffen too such as rear diffuser etc.) The 2010 Exige S 240/220 and Elise are no different or stiffer than any former year.

The 2010 Exige cosmetics are questionable in function and awful in execution and appearance. They detract from the cohesiveness of the original design and attempt to mix squarish/rectangular shapes in with oval/elliptical shapes. It doesn't work aesthetically - kind of like a child trying to put a square block where a cylinder belongs. It just doesn't fit. The upper lines of the oil cooler opening actually draw the eye and connect just slightly above the grill opening.

That rear spoiler would do better on a Toyota Celica or riced-out Honda than on the Exige. Again the designers mistake to used a part of the upper rear clam that has subtle and complex compound shapes as an attachment point for that spoiler ruins a beutiful design element plus creates a problem for the rear clam to ultimately develop stress cracks.

Overall - the 2010 Exige is a styling mistake with reduced performance but better gas mileage.

Quote:
Press Release:

2010 Model Year Elise and Exige Now Cleaner than Ever

For 2010 Model Year, the Elise and Exige have substantially reduced CO2 emissions and improved fuel consumption

The latest Elise and Exige models are the product of continuous improvement to give up to a 9% reduction in CO2 emissions and similar increases in fuel economy.

On the combined cycle, the Elise S shows the greatest improvement in fuel efficiency offering an increase of 3.2 mpg (a decrease of 0.7 l/100km), from 34.0 mpg (8.3 l/100 km) to 37.2 mpg (7.6 l/100km). These figures are achieved by focussing on light weight technology and small, efficient engines to achieve sensational performance and class leading fuel economy.

The exceptional balance and precise handling of Lotus cars have always been the most engaging aspect of the driving experience and these class leading attributes are now complemented by greener performance.

Mike Kimberley, CEO of Group Lotus plc, stated, “The Lotus philosophy of performance through light weight is even more relevant in today’s emission focused ecological world. This design philosophy has enabled Lotus to offer fantastic levels of performance, with Lotus cars being some of the greenest performance cars on the market”.

Mike Kimberley continues, “We are at the cutting edge of green transport technology and we will continue to push the boundaries with our green research and environmental strategy. We are keen to ensure that Lotus as a company and its products offer an ethical, green option that appeals to our customers”.

Lotus’ cars fair well against other manufacturers of performance cars in terms of CO2 emissions against performance. The table below compares vehicles with similar performance and highlights their emissions of CO2. This table illustrates the efficient performance of the Elise SC.

Figures displayed above are from manufacturers’ websites as at 8/4/09

The exciting new 2010 model year Elise and Exige are on sale now at Lotus dealers.

Elise S: 179 g/km CO2
7.6 l/100 km (37.2 mpg) Combined Cycle
10.6 l/100 km (26.6 mpg) Urban Cycle
5.8 l/100 km (48.7 mpg) Extra Urban Cycle

Elise R: 196 g/km CO2
8.2 l/100 km (34.4 mpg) Combined Cycle
11.6 l/100 km (24.4 mpg) Urban Cycle
6.2 l/100 km (45.6 mpg) Extra Urban Cycle

Elise SC: 199 g/km CO2
8.5 l/100 km (33.2 mpg) Combined Cycle
11.8 l/100 km (23.9 mpg) Urban Cycle
6.4 l/100 km (44.1 mpg) Extra Urban Cycle

Exige S: 199 g/km CO2
8.5 l/100 km (33.2 mpg) Combined Cycle
11.9 l/100 km (23.7 mpg) Urban Cycle
6.5 litres/100 km (43.5 mpg) Extra Urban Cycle

- By: Omar Rana

2009 EXIGE SPORT 260 - Chrome Orange / Carbon Fiber / Black with the ~mustache~
Purchased through St Louis Motorsports

The Comprehensive Exige 260 Registry

Last edited by Vishus_1; 12-24-2009 at 02:30 PM.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 03:31 PM

In my opinion, the 2009's had a distinctive look (not "Porsche-like") that flowed better - and one of the main reasons most of us own a Lotus(s) (aside from the amazing handling and "fun-factor") is the uniqueness/exclusivity of the vehicle. However, with time I'm sure the 2010's look will grow on me.

On a side note, in response to Vishus' post: I believe that the 2010 Exige 260's are confirmed to be coming to the US (~20 at most) as dealers have been taking orders for them (and some have already ordered some).

LFSC:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157...0-sport-81671/
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickOpalak View Post
I think it looks awesome!
Apparently there are some red/orange traffic barrels behind the car to distract the eye from the hideous wing uprights... it almost works...
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth G-F View Post
The old Exige wing is useless and ineffective, it's about time Lotus realized what the aftermarket did years ago and changed the design. Not sure how much better the new wing is, but it sure can't be worst...
Why the exige wing is useless and ineffective ?

Lotus Said that the extensive aero tweaking done on the Exige help it to achieve about 100 pounds of downforce at 100 mph, compared to the Elise's 13 pounds at that same speed.

And the look of that wing on this car is a perfect match to me. The only problem is how the wing is fixed to the car. It shake too much but otherwise what's the problem ?

07 Exige S300+,Solar Yellow,Touring Pack, Torque300 tune,RLS Intercooler,Pro Alloy IC tubes,Lotus Stage3 Exhaust,Intake BOE ITG cold airbox,RLS MKII 3.0 Pulley,SaikouMichi Oil catch can,NGK BKR7-EIX Plugs,EV14 525cc injectors,CarbonFiber side scoops+front lip+rear spoiler, Nitron SS Shocks, PC680 Battery,JVC KDNX5000,CompactSub Kenwood KSC-SW1,Tinted windows, Lotus Sport windshield+front plate decals,HID Kit 6000K,Parking Light,license Leds.
2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
2016 Subaru WRX STI Blue
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:20 AM

The problem is it doesn't work. It might make 100lbs at 100mph, that is very good for a street car. But it is very poor for a winged car.

Reverie does more than 200% better with only 14% more drag (on a wide body car). Drag would be even lower on a regular body exige.

The Exige is a street car as much as any Elise. If you want to track an Exige, the same mods an Elise needs have to be done to it. And the extra downforce is as bad as Lotus could get from putting wing and splitter on that car.

The wing is too short, too low, with too much aoa, has almost no curvature (don't remember the exact term) plus the end plates are too small to do any good at all. The splitter has many design flaws too. It makes me think that Lotus wanted something to look good, not be effective. The i/c location and roof scoop is further proof of that.

I love the Exige, I just expect more from a track ready car coming off Lotus' assembly line.

2003 911 Turbo X50
2006 Lotus Elise VF2 and Reverie wings, 300hp and 300lbs of DF! Sold!
BMWCCA Instructor
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
The problem is it doesn't work. It might make 100lbs at 100mph, that is very good for a street car. But it is very poor for a winged car.

Reverie does more than 200% better with only 14% more drag (on a wide body car). Drag would be even lower on a regular body exige.

The Exige is a street car as much as any Elise. If you want to track an Exige, the same mods an Elise needs have to be done to it. And the extra downforce is as bad as Lotus could get from putting wing and splitter on that car.

The wing is too short, too low, with too much aoa, has almost no curvature (don't remember the exact term) plus the end plates are too small to do any good at all. The splitter has many design flaws too. It makes me think that Lotus wanted something to look good, not be effective. The i/c location and roof scoop is further proof of that.

I love the Exige, I just expect more from a track ready car coming off Lotus' assembly line.
If you took a stock elise and a stock exige on a track ? which one will make the better lap time right out of the box ?

You are probably right that the exige is not perfect for somebody who race 100% of the time but who care, there is no stock car that claim to be perfect. There is always room to improve something there and there for any car. To me, as long as the exige is a little bit better than her sister,the elise on a track it is mission complete for Lotus.

I bought the Exige for the look first and also as being an upgraded Elise. I paid 15-17K for it more than an Elise and this is just normal to get a little bit more for that.

07 Exige S300+,Solar Yellow,Touring Pack, Torque300 tune,RLS Intercooler,Pro Alloy IC tubes,Lotus Stage3 Exhaust,Intake BOE ITG cold airbox,RLS MKII 3.0 Pulley,SaikouMichi Oil catch can,NGK BKR7-EIX Plugs,EV14 525cc injectors,CarbonFiber side scoops+front lip+rear spoiler, Nitron SS Shocks, PC680 Battery,JVC KDNX5000,CompactSub Kenwood KSC-SW1,Tinted windows, Lotus Sport windshield+front plate decals,HID Kit 6000K,Parking Light,license Leds.
2016 Subaru WRX STI Blue
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:58 AM

Garage
I did not think that I like the front at first but when I saw it in person in black I thought that it looked a lot better than the old one.

I still do not like the rear wing at all. Looks like it belongs on a Celica or WRX.
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear99 View Post
If you took a stock elise and a stock exige on a track ? which one will make the better lap time right out of the box ?

You are probably right that the exige is not perfect for somebody who race 100% of the time but who care, there is no stock car that claim to be perfect. There is always room to improve something there and there for any car. To me, as long as the exige is a little bit better than her sister,the elise on a track it is mission complete for Lotus.

I bought the Exige for the look first and also as being an upgraded Elise. I paid 15-17K for it more than an Elise and this is just normal to get a little bit more for that.
Different strokes. If I paid 17k$ more for an Exige I'd want it to be MUCH faster. Turns out, I passed many Exige on the track with my stock Elise. It's a 100lbs lighter after all. And the 30hp advantage is gone after a few laps because the i/c location and air feed is ****. And unless you can drive, the 90lb DF advantage is moot.

With a simple katana and Reverie wing (total 10,000$) I was 2 sec a lap faster than a comparable driver on a Cup240. Now with the VF2 (3000$ upgrade) my guess is I'm gonna be 4sec a lap faster.

If someone pay more for the looks, I have nothing to say against that.

It's a matter of what you want. Me, I wouldn't pay more to be slower.

2003 911 Turbo X50
BMWCCA Instructor
post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Different strokes. If I paid 17k$ more for an Exige I'd want it to be MUCH faster. Turns out, I passed many Exige on the track with my stock Elise. It's a 100lbs lighter after all. And the 30hp advantage is gone after a few laps because the i/c location and air feed is ****. And unless you can drive, the 90lb DF advantage is moot.

With a simple katana and Reverie wing (total 10,000$) I was 2 sec a lap faster than a comparable driver on a Cup240. Now with the VF2 (3000$ upgrade) my guess is I'm gonna be 4sec a lap faster.

If someone pay more for the looks, I have nothing to say against that.

It's a matter of what you want. Me, I wouldn't pay more to be slower.
See, you paid 10K ( Reverie Wing and a Katana SC ) + 3K ( VF2) + all the labor time you needed to install those parts = 13K + +

So you are at the price of an exige and you still have an elise resale value. You dont have the probax seat and two oil cooler. Also I've been told by my salesman Bernard that the suspension on the exige is harder for the track.

Remember there is less exige on the road than the elise and it make the car even more unique.

I dont beleive you that a stock elise is faster than a stock exige on a track.
See the Top Gear fastest Lap time board and the exige is faster. And the same driver drove both car.

it is possible you did better lap time on a track then other exige owner but not because your car was faster, because you were a better driver and thats it.

2016 Subaru WRX STI Blue
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Eh, don't like it and it's mainly cosmetics. I understand about the C02 compliance hence the slower 0-60 time and the rear sub frame which I forgot about but you're better off with an '09 260 sport or a regular 2009 Exige since performance will be better...afterall, we're mainly discussing about a 2010 facelifted Exige which is now slower than previous models including 2006N/A Exiges. Now, if we were talking about a new redesigned Exige for 2012 (?) then I'm sure we'd be talking a different ball game here.
post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:18 PM

I will never like that front end, Lotus should be ashamed.

2006 Exige
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:52 PM

As an update to my post above - yes there is an allocation of 20 2010 Exige Sport 260's coming to North America. They are only available in Ardent Red (Base at no additional charge), Phantom Black, Carbon Grey and Aspen White with a red interior. There are some other differences from 2009 - but mostly minor.

For clarification purposes --- not all 2010 Exige's have the different rear sub frame. Only the 2009 and 2010 260 have different sub frames - the 2010 240's sub frame is just like every other year so far.

2009 EXIGE SPORT 260 - Chrome Orange / Carbon Fiber / Black with the ~mustache~
Purchased through St Louis Motorsports

The Comprehensive Exige 260 Registry
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear99 View Post
See, you paid 10K ( Reverie Wing and a Katana SC ) + 3K ( VF2) + all the labor time you needed to install those parts = 13K + +

So you are at the price of an exige and you still have an elise resale value. You dont have the probax seat and two oil cooler. Also I've been told by my salesman Bernard that the suspension on the exige is harder for the track.

Remember there is less exige on the road than the elise and it make the car even more unique.

I dont beleive you that a stock elise is faster than a stock exige on a track.
See the Top Gear fastest Lap time board and the exige is faster. And the same driver drove both car.

it is possible you did better lap time on a track then other exige owner but not because your car was faster, because you were a better driver and thats it.
I do my own labor and don't charge myself a fee.

What will resale value do for your lap times? Also, I can resell all my mods. The Lotustalk clasified is one of the most active section. I sold my old katana manifolds and brackets in a day.

I hope you don't think Top Gear has any scientific value. EU Elise were not available with A048Rs. Something to keep in mind as tires are very important for good lap times.

I do have probax seat, just different on the Elise (missing the shoulder belt holes). The Exige ones are another example of how useless all the Exige mods are. You need a 5th point in every serious lapping club or HPDE. So if you want a harness, you need to change your seats. Exige or Elise, same thing.

The reason why I don't have two oil coolers is because I didn't buy the sport package (that is a overpriced option from Lotus). Otherwise I'd also have two oil coolers, just like you. It might be different on newer models though. But, those cars don't need two oil coolers. At least not where we live. We're a long way from Texas... On 30min sessions my coolant doens't even get to 200F.

I love the Exige, it looks great! It' just that every modification done by Lotus to make it "more track ready" doesn't really work. It's mostly to impress wannabe racers. Those who bring those cars to the track and are serious, will have to modify their cars just like an Elise driver would: aero, brakes, suspension, engine mods, fuel and oil starve cure.

The Exige should have real track ready stuff or at least have a factory option. Seriously, an out of the box ExigeS only has a 30hp advantage (that fades away quickly as laps go by because of heat soak) over a n/a Elise.

Again, the folks that feel like it is worth it, good for them. It's their money, not mine. I know that the 10-13k$ I put in my car makes me probably 8sec a lap faster than a stock ExigeS at LCMT. To me that's what's important.

2003 911 Turbo X50
BMWCCA Instructor
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 07:20 PM

Kevin, this is strating to sound like a confrotation. It's not what I want. I love both cars. It's just that I feel to express that the Exige is not the end all be all of Lotus cars. Elises can be turned into Exige killers for little money. That's my only point.

We should pursue this conversation drinking a cold one on Grande-Allee!

2003 911 Turbo X50
BMWCCA Instructor
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 06:45 AM

I like the 2010 better.
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 02:18 PM

the front end is barely updated I don't see much difference, only general polishing perhaps? now regarding the Lotus Elise for 2011 model range, that's a bit too big of a change and I will never like it, I prefer the current style of front clam.

The rear of 2010 with the spoiler, I think the previous models had better spoiler.

Overall they were a bit inspired from Japanese car makers like Subaru Imprezza, like most others said.

I'd take the previous 2009 model, not 2010.
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 03:36 AM

WHAT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishus_1 View Post
That is inaccurate. There is a mechanical difference between 2010 and 2009 which actually results in reduced performance but lower CO2. (see press release below).

For 2010, the Elise now has a 0 to 60 mph time of 5.1 seconds while the Elise SC does it in 4.3 seconds (Compared to 4.9 and 4.3 seconds for 2009).

The 2010 Lotus Exige S gets from 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds while the 260 is estimated to do it in 4.0 seconds (Compared to 4.0 and 3.8 seconds for 2009).

As far as the chassis stiffness - this has only been claimed on the 2010 Exige 260 - which the US isn't getting. Regardless the 2010 Exige 260 is the same chassis as the 2009 Exige 260 - which actually is stiffer than other Exige or Elises primarily due to a revised rear sub frame (but there are other bits that are alledged to help stiffen too such as rear diffuser etc.) The 2010 Exige S 240/220 and Elise are no different or stiffer than any former year.

The 2010 Exige cosmetics are questionable in function and awful in execution and appearance. They detract from the cohesiveness of the original design and attempt to mix squarish/rectangular shapes in with oval/elliptical shapes. It doesn't work aesthetically - kind of like a child trying to put a square block where a cylinder belongs. It just doesn't fit. The upper lines of the oil cooler opening actually draw the eye and connect just slightly above the grill opening.

That rear spoiler would do better on a Toyota Celica or riced-out Honda than on the Exige. Again the designers mistake to used a part of the upper rear clam that has subtle and complex compound shapes as an attachment point for that spoiler ruins a beutiful design element plus creates a problem for the rear clam to ultimately develop stress cracks.

Overall - the 2010 Exige is a styling mistake with reduced performance but better gas mileage.
The 2010 Lotus' are SLOWER???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in