2011 Elise SC (in person, lots of pics) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: King of Prussia, PA
Posts: 38
Garage
2011 Elise SC (in person, lots of pics)

Although I'm aiming to pick up an '11 Elise SC in the spring, this isn't it. However, I did get a chance to see one of the first (the first?) Else SCs in the US.

I uploaded a bunch of pics, in a medium resolution, to the gallery. Click to go to the gallery:


I apologize for the light balance - It was bright outside, but the car was in a covered driveway, and I had no tripod to try to capture HDR images with.

If anyone is interested in specific shots in their original 18MP size, PM me and I can send it.

And before people ask, yes that's 2 Evoras in the background. I didn't get many pics of them, sorry.
diskreet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Registered User
 
4380r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by diskreet View Post
Although I'm aiming to pick up an '11 Elise SC in the spring, this isn't it. However, I did get a chance to see one of the first (the first?) Else SCs in the US.

I uploaded a bunch of pics, in a medium resolution, to the gallery. Click to go to the gallery:


I apologize for the light balance - It was bright outside, but the car was in a covered driveway, and I had no tripod to try to capture HDR images with.

If anyone is interested in specific shots in their original 18MP size, PM me and I can send it.

And before people ask, yes that's 2 Evoras in the background. I didn't get many pics of them, sorry.
They're stunning, but not the first in the US. I saw a phantom black SC Elise being prepped for customer delivery three weeks ago at Criswell. It was early, if the salesman had been there I would have been tempted for him to crunch some trade in numbers for my Exige.

Of course, for Criswell, it's a moot point now.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
4380r is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Registered User
 
360jeepboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusforsale View Post
They're stunning, but not the first in the US. I saw a phantom black SC Elise being prepped for customer delivery three weeks ago at Criswell. It was early, if the salesman had been there I would have been tempted for him to crunch some trade in numbers for my Exige.

Of course, for Criswell, it's a moot point now.
Really? You would trade in your exige for a elise?
360jeepboy is offline  
 
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Registered User
 
4380r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360jeepboy View Post
Really? You would trade in your exige for a elise?
For a 2011 SC? You bet. They are stunning. Tidied up all the loose ends on the 05 to 10 elise's, every bit now a styling equal to the Exige. More so.

And the supercharged cars w/sport suspension are the same as an Exige S220 performance wise. Same chassis, same suspension, same brakes, same power, same transmission. They DO have the narrower front wheels/tires, but that is easily remedied. I wouldn't be trading in my two extra sets of wheels.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
4380r is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Registered User
 
ErictheBastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 879
These pics reveal waaaaaaaaaay more than the press photos - and make the car far more appealing except on one count: The lack of continuity in the panel above the radiator exits. It makes no sense at all.

The nose, tail, rear deck, etc... are arguably an improvement in my opinion. Let's just say that if my '05 gets totaled tomorrow, I won't weep for it so much as I thought I would.

Eric the Bastard, Esq.
Sylmar, CA
2005 Chrome Orange Buzzbomb
Larini SE Exhaust LETSLA shift kit Exige Seats LSS Wheels
Lift Point Kit and Jack Helper
Difflow 5-Element Diffusor
ErictheBastard is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Registered User
 
ChronosWS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,980
Garage
Very pretty.

2009 Gray and Carbon Audi R8 4.2 MT Stasis Challenge Extreme
2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
ChronosWS is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: King of Prussia, PA
Posts: 38
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusforsale View Post
For a 2011 SC? You bet. They are stunning. Tidied up all the loose ends on the 05 to 10 elise's, every bit now a styling equal to the Exige. More so.

And the supercharged cars w/sport suspension are the same as an Exige S220 performance wise. Same chassis, same suspension, same brakes, same power, same transmission. They DO have the narrower front wheels/tires, but that is easily remedied. I wouldn't be trading in my two extra sets of wheels.
What color do you want?

I haven't seen one in Ardent Red yet, but I'm guessing I'm going to like that the most.
diskreet is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 04:49 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,048
It looks like the radiator panel is all one piece now. I wonder how it comes off? Also, is that all shaped mesh on the rear deck, replacing the slats?
Dylan is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 04:55 AM
Registered User
 
4380r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
It looks like the radiator panel is all one piece now. I wonder how it comes off? Also, is that all shaped mesh on the rear deck, replacing the slats?
It is one piece and it snaps off. And in person it looks better...in these pix the reflection and lighting works with the color of the car to make it look more disjointed than it is.

Yes, all slats are gone, mesh everywhere, and it is a much tidier 'weave' than that used on the Exige. Better finish overally.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
4380r is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:06 AM
Registered User
 
Ryephile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,150
Overall I like how the Elise has been updated. I like the mesh and the Evora'd front end. There are two things I feel could've been resolved better: the front access panel design and the rear taillight surround. The front access panel has little continuity with the rest of the nose, and the rear taillight surround doesn't seem to have the same sexy curves as the old tail, plus I don't like the seam around the perimeter. I do like the new engine cover, it's much more refined.

It looks like the interior is basically the same, any interior pictures of U.S.A. cars yet? Also, is the engine still the 2ZZ? It would've been awesome to have the 1.6L come stateside as an entry-level Elise.

'07 Exige S270 :: Aspen White ::

"This is like O. Henry and Alanis Morissette had a baby and named it "this exact situation"."
Sterling Mallory Archer
Ryephile is offline  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:10 AM
Registered User
 
4380r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Overall I like how the Elise has been updated. I like the mesh and the Evora'd front end. There are two things I feel could've been resolved better: the front access panel design and the rear taillight surround. The front access panel has little continuity with the rest of the nose, and the rear taillight surround doesn't seem to have the same sexy curves as the old tail, plus I don't like the seam around the perimeter. I do like the new engine cover, it's much more refined.

It looks like the interior is basically the same, any interior pictures of U.S.A. cars yet? Also, is the engine still the 2ZZ? It would've been awesome to have the 1.6L come stateside as an entry-level Elise.
The engine is the 2ZZ, the one I saw was SC'd.

But something interesting. There is a portion of the wall between the engine and the trunk that slants in. Can't tell if it frees up more space in the boot or uses up more, it's an optical illusion. But I watched as the Lotus Tech who was showing me the car reached up to demonstrate that the space underneat this area in the engine compartment is empty....mmmm.....designed-in space for a future V6 maybe?

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
4380r is offline  
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:12 AM
Registered User
 
XHILR8N!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 2 laps down
Posts: 6,787
Garage
Nice evolutions.
My question is, how much of this might be incorporated into an older car if repairs might be needed, like say a new front clam?

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
XHILR8N! is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Registered User
 
4380r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRTHTAKR View Post
Nice evolutions.
My question is, how much of this might be incorporated into an older car if repairs might be needed, like say a new front clam?
I asked the Tech that. He thought the front clam would bolt on, but he couldn't say for sure. It is entirely likely the mounting points are somewhat different.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
4380r is offline  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Registered User
 
Iceman-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Italy
Posts: 475
Some shots from a Lamborghini yellow custom color on 2011 SC:

http://www.111r.org/Vallelunga%20set.../P1040383.html


WWW.111R.ORG

2004 Lotus SY 111R Elise VF II
Iceman- is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Registered User
 
sleeprfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,320
I've always thought the 2011 Elise was overall an improvement in design from the prior Elise/Exige, these shots confirm my thoughts. It's by no means perfect but definitely a better look, especially with the deletion of the booger lights and changing the plastic fins to mesh.

2005 Lotus Elise - ForcedFed 340, now at 15 psi and needing dyno for results.
2002 Ford Focus SVT - 4.6L V8 RWD conversion, twice the cylinders and half the sense.
sleeprfocus is offline  
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Registered User
 
Allan Gibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Back in Gilbert, AZ(formerly Montrose, CA)
Posts: 7,610
Garage
The new design looks more solid and cohenisve. I think it's because the lines on the front of the car flow more smoother than before.

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
Allan Gibbs is offline  
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Registered User
 
cheungms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,873
Is it just me, or does the front of the car look like a fish?
I knew it always reminded me of a certain type of fish, and I realized it today: tropical tang
Attached Images
 
cheungms is offline  
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Registered User
 
Allan Gibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Back in Gilbert, AZ(formerly Montrose, CA)
Posts: 7,610
Garage
The Elise always looked like a fish or an insect.

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
Allan Gibbs is offline  
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:28 AM
Registered User
 
Christophe111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 168
I still need to see it real to make a final judgement.

On pictures, the front end looks nice, especially the fins. But the front access panel design still bugs me.
I am still not sold on the back. It looks too boring to me, whereas the new engine lid is pure sex.
I find that the new Elise design depends a lot on the colours. The stronger the colour, the best. IMHO, in Black, grey, silver and white, it looks boring to me, where the S2 looks great in any colour or finish.
In the end, I am kind of 50/50, depending on which part of the car I focus.
I still prefer the S2 because it all flows together, but I do understand why Lotus went this way and do not consider it as a mistake.
The S2 did its time and they needed something new and in line with Evora, and probably the future Esprit.
It’s not the first time that I see a redesign going from aggressive to cleaner (I think of the BMW Z4). You also have to go after the buyer the first aggressive version kind of scared.

IŽd prefer somethig like these:


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us

March 2009 Arctic Silver Elise S
Dark-red soft-top finally there!

Last edited by Christophe111; 09-15-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Christophe111 is offline  
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 04:34 AM
Registered User
 
4380r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheungms View Post
Is it just me, or does the front of the car look like a fish?
I knew it always reminded me of a certain type of fish, and I realized it today: tropical tang
I think the front of the Evora looks like a Liver Fluke.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
4380r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome