2011 Evora S Pricing - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Again 70K for a loaded Base model and 80K for a loaded "S" model!! Those are realistic numbers. They need to get cars on the road to build brand recognition before an upmarket move will succeed!!!
brand recognition is needed to sell cars. not the other way around. What you're suggesting is they sell the cars for cheaper than their competition so they can move upmarket. It's like trying to be a better art gallery by selling cheaper art. The whole idea of going upmarket is based on the principle that one person is willing to pay much more than another person for a functionally equivalent item.

I truly believe the success of Lotus going upscale is entirely dependent on their ability to market themselves. Undercutting the competitor's prices might be a good short term strategy if funding was needed, but would slow the pace at which they are operating to get the company to an upscale status.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:26 AM

Who has been more successful moving their products up-market to the next tier? Hyundai with their Genesis cars or Mercedes with the Maybach? Value per dollar either real or perceived is always important. Charging a higher price for your cars without delivering more value than your competitors does not change market perception or win you customers.

2007 Lotus 255 Cup, AP BBK F&R, Innovative mounts, RLS CF Intercooler heat shield, Railer diffuser, Custom hood Pins, gPan, Saikou Michi oil cc, RLS AL Intercooler tubes, Radium FST, 2Bular GT3 8X24, RLS suplemental IC Scoops, APR canards, CF rear wing, CF Scoops, Radium Fuel Rail and AN fuel pump adapter, AN fuel lines, 2bular decat and headers.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
brand recognition is needed to sell cars. not the other way around. What you're suggesting is they sell the cars for cheaper than their competition so they can move upmarket. It's like trying to be a better art gallery by selling cheaper art. The whole idea of going upmarket is based on the principle that one person is willing to pay much more than another person for a functionally equivalent item.

I truly believe the success of Lotus going upscale is entirely dependent on their ability to market themselves. Undercutting the competitor's prices might be a good short term strategy if funding was needed, but would slow the pace at which they are operating to get the company to an upscale status.
The product has to justify the increased price if your going to move Upmarket.

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 PM

No one here has mentioned the fact that Lotus North America does not care about their customers at all. I am an avid Lotus fan and I love the company and the brand and have since I was 12 years old listening on the radio to Lotus race at the Indy 500. I was finally able to buy a new Lotus in '06 and have been totally pleased with the car. However. having worked for an auto OEM I learned a few things and one of those is that you never ignore the customer you already have sold to. As everyone knows it is much cheaper to sell to an existing customer than it is through aquisition. I never heard one single sound from Lotus after buying their car - which were not exactly flying off the dealer lots. Not even the typical "thank you" letter from HQ. You would have expected them to send now product info out to those that had bought from them before- not a word.
If you have ever had to deal directly with Lotus NA you know what a dead end that is. I have not had to do this personally but I know a few that have and the experience was terrrible. I did send and email and placed a call but never received a reply or call back. They just don't get it. The arrogance is hard to understand.

Lotus UK is much different - they actually appreciate that you purchased from them. I have had discussions with them and they are very nice to deal with. Not so here in the states.

Lotus NA has a lot to learn about customer relationships - they should realize that without those annoying customers they would not have a job.

Personally I find the new Lotus designs to be very passive. They don't have the exotic look of the Elise or Exige. The new designs look like Toyota's. Sorry to say it but they don't have the edge and look very vanilla. The future line up all look the same with only subtle differences. They look like platform cars - common parts bin cars. The Evora is nice but nothing that turns your head like a nice Elise or Exige. An Evora could drive down the road in So. Cal. and no one will notice it as a Lotus. It looks like it could be a new Hyundai or something. I am disappointed in both the designs and the price. Lotus turned their backs on those of us that helped put the company on better financial ground - they offer nothing for the Elise owner to consider unless you are able to make the jump from a $50k car to nearly a $90k car. There is no real upgrade path for a lot of us if not most of us. I know I can't go buy a $90k car but I was able to buy a $50k and would consider a $70k car but they have priced me out of the market.
My 2 cents.

2006 Ardent Red Elise
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheRed View Post
No one here has mentioned the fact that Lotus North America does not care about their customers at all. I am an avid Lotus fan and I love the company and the brand and have since I was 12 years old listening on the radio to Lotus race at the Indy 500. I was finally able to buy a new Lotus in '06 and have been totally pleased with the car. However. having worked for an auto OEM I learned a few things and one of those is that you never ignore the customer you already have sold to. As everyone knows it is much cheaper to sell to an existing customer than it is through aquisition. I never heard one single sound from Lotus after buying their car - which were not exactly flying off the dealer lots. Not even the typical "thank you" letter from HQ. You would have expected them to send now product info out to those that had bought from them before- not a word.
If you have ever had to deal directly with Lotus NA you know what a dead end that is. I have not had to do this personally but I know a few that have and the experience was terrrible. I did send and email and placed a call but never received a reply or call back. They just don't get it. The arrogance is hard to understand.

Lotus UK is much different - they actually appreciate that you purchased from them. I have had discussions with them and they are very nice to deal with. Not so here in the states.

Lotus NA has a lot to learn about customer relationships - they should realize that without those annoying customers they would not have a job.

Personally I find the new Lotus designs to be very passive. They don't have the exotic look of the Elise or Exige. The new designs look like Toyota's. Sorry to say it but they don't have the edge and look very vanilla. The future line up all look the same with only subtle differences. They look like platform cars - common parts bin cars. The Evora is nice but nothing that turns your head like a nice Elise or Exige. An Evora could drive down the road in So. Cal. and no one will notice it as a Lotus. It looks like it could be a new Hyundai or something. I am disappointed in both the designs and the price. Lotus turned their backs on those of us that helped put the company on better financial ground - they offer nothing for the Elise owner to consider unless you are able to make the jump from a $50k car to nearly a $90k car. There is no real upgrade path for a lot of us if not most of us. I know I can't go buy a $90k car but I was able to buy a $50k and would consider a $70k car but they have priced me out of the market.
My 2 cents.
Really now.. Hyundai?? C'mon... I agree with everything you said except for that last paragraph..

You're telling me, this car will be mistakened for a Hyundai?? LOL..troll.

post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:53 AM

Now c'mon Squidward, Inthered is entitled to their opinion.

I don't agree that an Evora looks like any Hyundai, but I think the point is it is a more restrained, milder styling design than the Elise and Exige - which to Inthered is more progressive or "futuristic" as he put it.
I would suggest the color of your Evora actually makes it stand out more and the enhancements you made help accent it compared to a more common color.

A problem here, with those of us Lotus enthusiasts who have supported and followed the brand for a while, watched the M250 and were anxious to see that translated into a production car. The Evora came out like a half hearted, milder, toned-down execution (no pivoting doors, open engine access, less agressive) ... albeit close. If Lotus made the M250 into the Evora, I guarantee this discussion and low sales wouldn't be happening.

Now having said that, the actual Evora is what it is. It may not be overtly flashy as a design but it isn't homogeneous either. I absolutely do not believe the Evora's primary challenge is its styling. The biggest issue most struggle to overcome is the perceived value. Perhaps that is what Inthered is getting at, if the design were so categorically beautiful, over the top or exotic it might either overcome its other shortcomings (which is perceived value). Sure, for some that may be true - there are buyers who willingly compromise for beauty. But Evora's sales are so disappointing that even if the quantity of theses buyers did actually purchase the car, it wouldn't offset it enough to be successful.

I have put my opinion out there in several threads...the best and only viable solution I see to building more sales is tackling the root cause of the Evora's biggest challenge - perceived value. Lotus's engineering has carried the brand, been a successful outsourcing venture, and established quite a successful reputation...this should be capitalized upon and showcase in its cars. That is really what Lotus does best. The Evora (and especially the next generation concept cars) do not possess much that is particularly revolutionary, forward or advanced. (Ok, vva - but no one sees that) Mclaren and Lamborghini are sure running with this and sports car buyers will not be forgiving if Lotus looses that cutting edge advantage and uniqueness. Lotus engineering needs to invest that engineering talent into the Evora to either lighten it more or get more power out of it to make the car stand out and be unique. That will do so much more than changing a grill opening, taillights or fascia. If Lotus is unable to find a cost-effective solution to lower weight or bump power, then they need to find ways to cut the cost. Materials used, vendor costs, production efficiencies. The home run would be if they did them all. Same goes for the next generation cars. The designs already fall short and the new management seem to be determined to obstanently go backwards when it comes to innovative efficient lightweight development.

2009 EXIGE SPORT 260 - Chrome Orange / Carbon Fiber / Black with the ~mustache~
Purchased through St Louis Motorsports

The Comprehensive Exige 260 Registry

Last edited by Vishus_1; 02-19-2011 at 07:04 AM.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:51 AM

Ok, I admit, Squidward's car looks awesome and would never be confused for Korean car. But your car is not stock and looks more aggressive than what I have seen at the car shows etc. But I still stand by my opinion that they have toned down their designs across the board and in my opinion the concept cars look like they are all drawn by the same person. There are subtle differences at best and that makes them look like parts bin cars. I would like to see each of the concepts have unique designs so that at a glance you know which one you are looking at. Lotus never had cars that looked the same with the exception of the Elise and Exige but the Exige makes sense as it is the natural evolution of the design. And both cars look extreme. The new designs do not have that extreme, edgy look and they have moved away from the mantra that created the Elise and Exige - performance through lightness. I do understand that Lotus wants to appeal to a wider audience and that required making the car more comfortable and easier to get in and out of which no doubt added some weight.
I stand corrected - your car is very nice - I had not seen one other than stock. I would like to see a significant difference in the concept cars. Also, the Elise and Exige are the last true sports cars; they have nothing you do not absolutely need to drive the car. they are pure sports cars and it is sad to see the manufacturer that has a heritage of making the best pure sports cars, move away from that basic principle - once the Elise and Exige are out of production I doubt we will ever experience a car like that again. It is also sad to see Lotus offerings at a price that excludes so many of the current owners. Vishus 1 has it right - perceived value...

2006 Ardent Red Elise
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:58 PM

Cool

Is it just me or does anyone else think this thread has been majorly hijacked? The Subject is "Evora S Pricing". I ordered an S 2+0 over 3 months ago just as it was rumored that Lotus was going to make a major price reduction. My dealer has been unable to give me any answers. Does anyone have any insight as to when they will set the official MSRP?

05 Elise - laser blue
11 Evora S - canyon red
03 Boxster S- seal grey
07 911 S - artic silver
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:06 PM

So you have put down a deposit for the S?
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:13 PM

I don't think we'll see the Evora S MSRP till Geneva in <2 weeks. This is only my speculation but I think that the Evora S coming over to the U.S. is going to incorporate some of the changes being talked about ... like possibly the interior and some exterior tweeks .... they may even call it the 2012. Lotus wants to present this as an entire package because, if we look at the price in the absence of any changes, there will likely be a major disconnect between what the market will bear and what Lotus is looking to fetch for it.

Just my 2 cents
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 PM

ALL HYPE

Quote:

My 2 cents.
I think youre dead on > i was quite excited to drive the Evora at Galpin when it first came out. Bright Blue pulled up, Got in and it was downhill from there . Of course stock exhaust seriously lame sound . Interior ? some kind of retro look from the 80's. Power decent but went back to dealership after 4 minutes. Truly perplexed how anyone had a woody after driving this car. ADD an "S" or any other consonant I still thnk its crazy overpriced for what you get. And best for last ! Has to be the WORST re-sale vehicle on the road other then a SPYKER
post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
So you have put down a deposit for the S?
yes

05 Elise - laser blue
11 Evora S - canyon red
03 Boxster S- seal grey
07 911 S - artic silver
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 09:06 AM

@ InTheRed: It is disappointing to learn that Lotus NA does not make the effort to provide customer support. I agree with you that this is a huge mistake on their part.

@ Chupee1: I disagree. I live in Los Angeles and I did a 45 min. Evora test drive at Galpin. I think the car looks outstanding. Not quite as sexy as a Pininfarina design, but darn close. As for performance, the V6 is a honey of an engine and the handling is marvelously direct and dynamic. I disliked about the car what everyone dislikes about the car, i.e., a) price; b) gearbox; c) fit & finish; d) interior design is fine for $30k, not for $80k; 2) reliability (the day I test drove an Elise, they put me in a car with a dead battery and leaky front right tire . . . should I expect the same from the Evora?).

The Evora is a car that I would like to own, but the trade-off of price versus problems (are we seeing clutches disintegrate now?) is killing the deal for me.

N.B. Those here whose response to complaints about Lotuses is "Welcome to Lotus" or "Welcome to British cars" are forgetting, I think, that we are not talking about a $2,500 Triumph Spitfire here. You'd have to be cuckoo rich to be understanding of an $80k car that destroys its own clutch in the first six months of ownership.
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
I don't think we'll see the Evora S MSRP till Geneva in <2 weeks. This is only my speculation but I think that the Evora S coming over to the U.S. is going to incorporate some of the changes being talked about ... like possibly the interior and some exterior tweeks .... they may even call it the 2012. Lotus wants to present this as an entire package because, if we look at the price in the absence of any changes, there will likely be a major disconnect between what the market will bear and what Lotus is looking to fetch for it.

Just my 2 cents
I think that's what's going to happen two. It would a slap in the face for Lotus to say, here's the Evora S you've been waiting for and at the same time say, here's the updated Evora you didn't order.

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
@ InTheRed: It is disappointing to learn that Lotus NA does not make the effort to provide customer support. I agree with you that this is a huge mistake on their part.

@ Chupee1: I disagree. I live in Los Angeles and I did a 45 min. Evora test drive at Galpin. I think the car looks outstanding. Not quite as sexy as a Pininfarina design, but darn close. As for performance, the V6 is a honey of an engine and the handling is marvelously direct and dynamic. I disliked about the car what everyone dislikes about the car, i.e., a) price; b) gearbox; c) fit & finish; d) interior design is fine for $30k, not for $80k; 2) reliability (the day I test drove an Elise, they put me in a car with a dead battery and leaky front right tire . . . should I expect the same from the Evora?).

The Evora is a car that I would like to own, but the trade-off of price versus problems (are we seeing clutches disintegrate now?) is killing the deal for me.

N.B. Those here whose response to complaints about Lotuses is "Welcome to Lotus" or "Welcome to British cars" are forgetting, I think, that we are not talking about a $2,500 Triumph Spitfire here. You'd have to be cuckoo rich to be understanding of an $80k car that destroys its own clutch in the first six months of ownership.
You dont disagree at all. The reason I was so UNDERwhelmed was all the points you list . When I get in a car I say to myself Is this worth the freight.. Thats all !I thought it looked and felt like a 40,000 car thats all
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 12:29 PM

Good News!
My Dealer now advises that the first batch of 2011 Evora S's coming to the States (28 in total) should be shipped by the end of March with arrival in the States by mid-April.
He's receiving two, including the Canyon Red 2+0 I ordered.
However LOTUS still is'nt disclosing the new MSRP,....what's up with that!

05 Elise - laser blue
11 Evora S - canyon red
03 Boxster S- seal grey
07 911 S - artic silver
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Abe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swabster View Post
Good News!
My Dealer now advises that the first batch of 2011 Evora S's coming to the States (28 in total) should be shipped by the end of March with arrival in the States by mid-April.
He's receiving two, including the Canyon Red 2+0 I ordered.
However LOTUS still is'nt disclosing the new MSRP,....what's up with that!
They will, soon enough.

Taking care of the Lotus community one Lotus at a time...yes, We Are Lotus
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:

My 2 cents.
The first part of your post is particularly interesting. I see a lot of 2005 and 2006 cars for sale here, and yes that's because those years were the highest production. Having said that, how many of you who had and sold a 2005 or 2006 purchased a 2009 or 2010? I'm guessing not many. Not justifying this, but why would Lotus care about any of us if we're not likely to buy another? Now, of course, one of the problems is that the 2009's and 2010's aren't substantially different. Yes, they have DBW, better head/tail lamps, etc. etc. but the drivetrain and suspension is pretty much exactly the same.

I believe that BMW's, MB's, Porsches, Ferraris (as you know, you have to be a Ferrari owner in order to purchase one ) have a fairly high repeat clientele, and as much as it aggravates owners to see that the next model is so much better than the one they have, it doesn't seem to do anything but increase the current owner's desire to buy another.

Finally - and I was highly vilified for posting this the first time - months ago I said I was ready to place an order for a 2015 Elise. My '09 should certainly be ready to trade in by then. Haven't heard anything, whereas MB and Porsche dealers were ready years in advance when I wanted to place orders for upcoming models. (Again, you can't really buy Ferrari's off the floor - well maybe in this economy but not usually - you can only place orders for upcoming Ferrari's because every model that's announced is already sold out - to dealers who then add $100k to the MSRP, but that's part of the Ferrari game to keep dealers in business, when you're only selling a few cars each month.)
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 PM

See photo above...

Personaly - I love this thing. I wish it was about 10k less though.

Life, Liberty and the Happiness of Pursuit

I can help you move TO anywhere in the USA FROM anywhere in the USA - ask me how...
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Abe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
See photo above...

Personaly - I love this thing. I wish it was about 10k less though.
Not ten but close enough

Taking care of the Lotus community one Lotus at a time...yes, We Are Lotus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in