Is the 2020 Lotus Elise coming out and to the US - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

So we ain't gonna get another elise in 2020 yall thinking? I just wanted to know before I make a over and get a s3 I would hate for a new one to come out esp if your paying good money for one and pop another. If they stopped there I wouldn't be mad we all know how good they all are and what can be done to them they are all timeless no matter the year I'm just mad we didn't get the cup 250 smh my fav car

Gio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 12:20 PM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
AutoCar had this on the front cover today... just a rendering but not too shabby...
Attached Images

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 12:44 PM

Garage
That actually looks really GREAT.

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 01:58 PM
Less is Better

That actually looks like the current car
FlipKing likes this.
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 02:56 PM

In silver with those neon green calipers, it looks like a baby 918. I like.

2005 Elise - Storm Titanium
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 12:26 PM

That looks amazing, but 2020 is far enough out in the land of Lotus that the company could change ownership twice by then and recover from the brink of bankruptcy 8 times. That 2020 is being proposed 4 years in advance tells me Elise and Exige owners probably don't have to worry about depreciation for a very long time. If they aim for 2020 it'll probably be 2025 before they even announce the car, much less deliver them.
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
That looks amazing, but 2020 is far enough out in the land of Lotus that the company could change ownership twice by then and recover from the brink of bankruptcy 8 times. That 2020 is being proposed 4 years in advance tells me Elise and Exige owners probably don't have to worry about depreciation for a very long time. If they aim for 2020 it'll probably be 2025 before they even announce the car, much less deliver them.

I couldn't have said it any better.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:42 PM
glb

It's merely a drawing and not from Lotus.

Autocar scoops new Lotus Elise - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 06:19 PM

I hope Lotus put in the flat 4 engine from Scion FR-S (Toyota/Subaru joint venture). And if Lotus can keep it 900 kg, it would be a winner for the company. I will have to think twice about getting a McLaren for my next addition.

13 Evora S Carbon Grey w/ venom red

Previous (all manual):
07 G35S 6sp sedan Pearl White
06 Elise Magenta Blue
02 S2000 Rally Red
04 WRX STi Obsidian Black
00 RSX-typeS Blue
85 Corolla GTS Silver
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 11:51 AM

If we're daydreaming i'm going to throw out that I hope they use the Lexus LFA engine and tranny, keep the weight under 1500lbs with extensive carbon fiber and a sub-$50k price tag...
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 12:22 PM
glb

More hallucinatory than dreaming.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 09:49 PM

Garage
If it gets delayed like the Evora 400 did you maybe waiting for a while past 2020
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 03:42 AM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Main discussion already going on this: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f118...out-us-369298/

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa_van View Post
I hope Lotus put in the flat 4 engine from Scion FR-S (Toyota/Subaru joint venture).
I hope not.
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pray4mojo View Post
I hope not.

Seriously, the idea of trying to shoehorn that between the rails and then actually working on it is plenty motivation alone to not try. I saw a Japanese guy had done it, but I guess he was either reallllly bored, sadistic, or both. Just imagine a routine spark plug change...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 08:28 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Seriously, the idea of trying to shoehorn that between the rails and then actually working on it is plenty motivation alone to not try. I saw a Japanese guy had done it, but I guess he was either reallllly bored, sadistic, or both. Just imagine a routine spark plug change...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It's pretty easy on a Boxster, actually.
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 09:59 AM
not your dad's puns

And a profit too, nice.

Lotus Expects A Profit In 2017 And A New Elise In 2020

because racecar
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 05:26 AM
***** lurker

Garage
Hmm... I think it might be time to start saving my pennies so I can get back into a Lotus.

It is great to hear that they may actually spin a profit (I'm sure that the 15% decrease in the value of the GBP recently isn't hurting them either since the majority of their sales are in other currencies) and I hope they can continue that. I also think it is wonderful that they are going to get it cleared for the US which increases their sales base a bit. Hopefully they don't over saturate the market in the first year like they did with the S2 and essentially kill follow-on sales.

Personally, I'm hoping that whatever engine they end up using has a turbo on it from the factory like the Alfa 4C. Better mileage capabilities (emissions too, I assume), more controllable power band, and lots of easy after market potential (not that that is a concern of theirs). I'm sure that there are many who will disagree with me on this but I also hope a flappy paddle box of some sort is available (again like the 4C), even better if it is an actual DCT/PDK/F1 style instead of simply a manually controlled auto-box. I suppose that only time will tell.

Lotus-less for now.
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 06:39 AM
He's on fire!

There was so much "like the 4c" in your post I'm wondering if you already have, or would consider just getting a 4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walnuts View Post
Hmm... I think it might be time to start saving my pennies so I can get back into a Lotus.

It is great to hear that they may actually spin a profit (I'm sure that the 15% decrease in the value of the GBP recently isn't hurting them either since the majority of their sales are in other currencies) and I hope they can continue that. I also think it is wonderful that they are going to get it cleared for the US which increases their sales base a bit. Hopefully they don't over saturate the market in the first year like they did with the S2 and essentially kill follow-on sales.

Personally, I'm hoping that whatever engine they end up using has a turbo on it from the factory like the Alfa 4C. Better mileage capabilities (emissions too, I assume), more controllable power band, and lots of easy after market potential (not that that is a concern of theirs). I'm sure that there are many who will disagree with me on this but I also hope a flappy paddle box of some sort is available (again like the 4C), even better if it is an actual DCT/PDK/F1 style instead of simply a manually controlled auto-box. I suppose that only time will tell.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 08:44 AM
***** lurker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
There was so much "like the 4c" in your post I'm wondering if you already have, or would consider just getting a 4c
I won't lie, a 4C is definitely a contender for my next toy, whenever I can get around to buying another. That said, it was just the car that was on my mind and since it had many of the features I'd like to see, it made sense to bring it up. I loved my Exige and I miss it daily. We sold it because of another opportunity that came up which we could not pass. I like where the design language Lotus has been using is heading and for some reason, I want nothing more than to have another British car, I just find them to have a certain "je ne sais quois" that nothing else I've had (or can afford) carries with it.

I like small, power plants that come boosted from the factory because it is easier and cheaper to get a quick aftermarket power boost via a tune than it is to install an entire turbo or SC system. I like smaller cars and specifically light, small cars, that don't have to rely on brute force to be fast (note I said "have to rely on" meaning if they've got 600+ hp I'd love it but I don't want it to HAVE to have 600+ hp to perform). And as far as transmissions go, my wife could drive a DCT/PDK but not a traditional manual. She has no desire to learn to drive a stick. I want a car that both of us can enjoy even if I am that one that enjoys it more often Also, I've had plenty of stick shifts, I'd like the next car to have flappy paddles. If I want unfettered driver involvement, I'll get on one of the motorcycles.

Lastly, lets be honest for a moment. To sell well in the US, it is going to have to cater to more than just the Lotus purists. The population at large wants amenities like automatic transmissions or at least clutchless shifting, ABS, power-steering, air conditioning, a good stereo, and horsepower & torque. 0-60 times may not be overly important in the grand scheme of a good track car but in the US it is practically THE measure of the value of a sports car.

Lotus-less for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in