Advice to new Elise owners - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLust
new rule. if the valet park is mandatory and unswayed by demand to self park, another restaurant gets my business and management of the other gets a phone call telling them the story. maybe next time they get the business.
This exact thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The valet refused to let me self-park. Mind you... the non-valet side of the lot was overflowing with double-parked cars - some up on the sidewalk. Meanwhile, the valet side of the lot was EMPTY. And, I mean EMPTY. The valet guy refused despite my offer of a nice tip. I called the mananger from the lot and she blew me off saying she had no control over the valet, as the lot was leased to the valet company. I reminded her that I was a 14-year REGULAR customer and asked if it was worth losing my business. She was not swayed. So, I took my business elsewhere. I had two friends inside waiting at the table for me. They also tried to convince the manager to let me self-park. No go. She lost their business, too. Both of them were 20-year++ regulars at this restaurant. BAFFLING!

So... Does anyone know the etiquette or secret handshake that exotic car drivers use to get to self-park in that coveted front space? (Besides the obvious CA$H)

Mike

The "car-tist" formerly known as Fastwrx!
2004 Subaru WRX STi
2005 Lotus Elise CO, LSS, Hardtop, Starshield - Got it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwrx

So... Does anyone know the etiquette or secret handshake that exotic car drivers use to get to self-park in that coveted front space? (Besides the obvious CA$H)

Mike
I'd love to hear this one. I regularly take my other vehicle when I'd rather drive the elise to meet with friends because I don't want the valet to drive it. If there is a secret then do tell. I've thought of simply asking to park myself upfront in the "look at what parks in front of our restaurant" spots but don't want to be a jerk about it.
post #43 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwrx
So... Does anyone know the etiquette or secret handshake that exotic car drivers use to get to self-park in that coveted front space?
Hmmm... I don't know, I've been to 2 valets in the Seattle area, both just offered it. Maybe the Saffron Yellow or similar loud color is the trick?

Scott
SY / LSS / Touring / Hardtop

post #44 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 03:53 PM

The valet refused to let me self-park

Mike,

That exact same thing happened to me in Boston... I gave the guy a $20 and told him to hope in, I gave him a quick ride around the block. He let me park in front and said he would keep an eye on it.

You must have had a jerk that night. All they wanted was a free drive in your car...don't you remember the movie Ferris Bueller’s day off and they valet park the kids fathers Ferrari and the valet guy bolted out the back entrance for a blast?!?! I don't think so.

Bruce
post #45 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:09 PM

wow. That really sucks. You'd think that they would appreciate your support over the years. Doesn't sound like a very classy place though. Maybe you should speak with the owner, not the manager..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastliz
I reminded her that I was a 14-year REGULAR customer and asked if it was worth losing my business. She was not swayed. So, I took my business elsewhere. I had two friends inside waiting at the table for me. They also tried to convince the manager to let me self-park. No go. She lost their business, too. Both of them were 20-year++ regulars at this restaurant.
post #46 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercizzle
wow. That really sucks. You'd think that they would appreciate your support over the years. Doesn't sound like a very classy place though. Maybe you should speak with the owner, not the manager..

There is an idea. Giving up a favorite place is no fun, try the owner.

I have tried the valet parking thing a few times now. Usually the valet doesn't mind, a couple of them have been just plain happy to oblige. People get personal with their cars sometimes, they know it. When I meet a cool one I tip him well and everyone is happy. My friends already know that if the lot looks scary and I don't get on with the valet that I will be calling them from a table at a different restaurant. None of them have comlained about it. A few sets of rolling eyes maybe...
post #47 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 09:49 AM

You just got unlucky it seems.

I have parked a couple of times at a nice restaurant near me and the valet guys let me park myself no problem. On another occasion last week in a central Philadelphia valet lot the attendant said I could park in the front space myself if I gave him 10 bucks. I parked, gave him 20 and he promised to keep his eye on it all day.
post #48 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
There is an idea. Giving up a favorite place is no fun, try the owner.

I have tried the valet parking thing a few times now. Usually the valet doesn't mind, a couple of them have been just plain happy to oblige. People get personal with their cars sometimes, they know it. When I meet a cool one I tip him well and everyone is happy. My friends already know that if the lot looks scary and I don't get on with the valet that I will be calling them from a table at a different restaurant. None of them have comlained about it. A few sets of rolling eyes maybe...
thats not out of line at all; the valet's job is to oblige the customer as much as possible. for $20-$30 they should be happy to open up a spot in the front for you and let you park it and keep the key.

at any rate, it is certainly not out of line for the elise. i used to own a valet company a few years back.... we specialized and only handled high end nightclubs (for those in chicago, we did elixir, drink,shelter, karma, dragon room, and mint). on any given weekend night we ALWAYS had around $1 million worth of cars in the front; all high-end cars like ferrari, lamborghini, mercedes, etc. the elise would have absolutely gotten a front spot regardless as to whether the owner paid extra for it.

on the other hand, there were always guys with lesser cars that wanted them up front as well... i remember one occasion when i guy had a brand new audi TT freaked out because his car had been put in the lot rather than up front with the nice cars (btw he did not even tip, just paid the 6 bucks). he actually screamed in this girly shrill voice, "do you know what that is... its a TT! " as if it was even in the same class as the others...

those are the guys who got the rolled eyes
Hunter_Lala likes this.
post #49 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 07:46 AM

"Valet's are like soup....

some have great broth and others as bland as stale soup croutons."

I normally tip between $10-$20.00 each time I park. I do not let valet's park at all - unless I have known them for over a year at the same location -which tells me they are responsible, caring and matured enough not to toy with the toys.

I just stopped going to Kona Grill in Las Vegas because the new guy Taylor always wants my keys "in case I have to move it". I carry some other electronic items on my key sets ( six different sets of keys ) that I don't want missing or broken or worse, stolen. One of the toys is an automatic phone call dialer ( operated by tone ) that carries pin #'s and account numbers of my credit cards if I lose or misplace my wallet. It can act just like a credit card authorization when dialed through the merchant's phone for authorizations. I keep it "locked" on the key chain for the expensive toys just in case I need some big mullah for any car issues.

Nevertheless, apart from my strange idiosyncracies, I find that IF you just find the right valet and insisit that you park your car to assure no dings or dents and tip well they are more than happy to accomodate you. When they don't take the business elsewhere or drvie the stand by jalopy out. The substitute for attention getting and no dings is no attention and a safe dent/dingless car.

It must be working because as far back as I can remember none of my cars have suffered from parking lot dings/dents.

03 H2 Yellow,05 Elise Ardent, Hardtop, Touring
05 BMW K1200 LT,56 190SL Convertible/Balck/Black
05 1/2 Giallo Orion Murci Roadstr,06 Ducatti 800 SSFF
008 Busa 1300; 2008 BMW 328ix; 08 Ferrari F430 Spider,09 GTR Skyline, Gun Metalic Rocks! 2007 E 63AMG Black.
post #50 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 08:41 AM

For any Palm Beach County area folks, the restaurant was the Banana Boat in Boynton Beach.

I asked the valet nicely and offered a tip. He flat out turned it down. I didn't argue with him at all. When he said "no," I simply said, "OK," and pulled away to the parking lot entrance and called the manager.

Amazing that they would turn down business like that. The valet lot was EMPTY!

Mike

The "car-tist" formerly known as Fastwrx!
2004 Subaru WRX STi
2005 Lotus Elise CO, LSS, Hardtop, Starshield - Got it!!
post #51 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob13572468
thats not out of line at all; the valet's job is to oblige the customer as much as possible. for $20-$30 they should be happy to open up a spot in the front for you and let you park it and keep the key.

at any rate, it is certainly not out of line for the elise. i used to own a valet company a few years back.... we specialized and only handled high end nightclubs (for those in chicago, we did elixir, drink,shelter, karma, dragon room, and mint). on any given weekend night we ALWAYS had around $1 million worth of cars in the front; all high-end cars like ferrari, lamborghini, mercedes, etc. the elise would have absolutely gotten a front spot regardless as to whether the owner paid extra for it.

on the other hand, there were always guys with lesser cars that wanted them up front as well... i remember one occasion when i guy had a brand new audi TT freaked out because his car had been put in the lot rather than up front with the nice cars (btw he did not even tip, just paid the 6 bucks). he actually screamed in this girly shrill voice, "do you know what that is... its a TT! " as if it was even in the same class as the others...

those are the guys who got the rolled eyes

I meant I get rolling eyes from my friends that give me a hard time about my car.

I've usually had pretty good exchanges with the valets I've met. I usually give them $20 and everyone is happy. Last time I did this I was only in the restaurant for 20 minutes to quickly meet&greet someone. He didn't want to at first but relented, his co-valet gave him a hard time asking why I am parking it myself. I gave him a 20, thanked him and hoped he didn't get into trouble. The kid I tipped thought it was funny I paid a dollar a minute to park but he was very friendly.

Good to hear nobody's toes are stepped on by asking for an upfront spot. If it's as you say then there really shouldn't be any problems and if there are it may be a clue to not leave your car there. A friend of mine works at a nice hotel here in town and they had a very unfortunate incident with a valet and a collector's ferrari that was totalled on a "quick spin around the block". Anyway, I'm going to continue asking for a spot up front. Thanks for the post rob.

have a good one,
crash
post #52 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 11:40 PM

Took my bro's SL600 out once to San Diego (Gas Lamp)
It was payday so i had a nice w0d..
I gave the guy $20 Parked in front..
I said Ill keep the key he said Kool man Thanks with a ear to ear..
After the dinner I realized I gave him $120...
He had a good night..
lol

Kant wait for the Elise..
Peace Troy
post #53 of 156 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastliz

Mike
I used to be in the club business, and worked with valets. There should be no secret handshake, or tip required. Those cars are supposed to be there for flash, and they should do it themselves. In so Cal, where I live, sometimes the 360 Modena has to get shuffled to the back to make room for the 575 Maranello.

Any driver should be able to park thier own car, but at many places, you must leave your key anyway if you are up front due to fire code. While I didn't work with every valet company in LA, I've never heard of one with a 'we drive it or you don't come in' policy.

Matt

Jared Holstein (SCC) once wrote of a turbocharged Elise, "A bingo hopper doesn't have enough balls to slide it on the street." Well that may be true, but given the right street at the right time, I do.
post #54 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:02 AM

Pleased to pay me $20 for not driving your cars?

Hunter_Lala likes this.
post #55 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:19 AM

Valet is rare enough in Houston that I take my truck.

I worked as a valet in college. That's how I learned to drive a stick... There's no way I'd let a valet drive my car.
post #56 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLo
Valet is rare enough in Houston that I take my truck.

I worked as a valet in college. That's how I learned to drive a stick... There's no way I'd let a valet drive my car.
Got to agree here. Even though I do not have my Elise yet, there is no way I would let someone drive my car. In my opinion, one too deep of a trip past redline when your not looking and you'll regret giving them your keys.
post #57 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 05:20 PM

Living in Miami and owning a condo in south beach. For $30 bucks I can park right in frt of club on M - TH. F,S AND Sun its like $40. I had a problem with one club on a SAT NITE the guy wanted $80.00. Now I know s.beach I have been to this club before. Well to make a long story short. I just stay there parked in frt of the club. I told him I was not moving. I ignored him. Everytime is tried to talk to me I revived up the engine. Well everyone who was waiting in line to get into the club was just getting a kick of what was happening. Now I have 4 valet guys around me and they are fuming. The manager of the club finally came out, and after he saw the lotus. He said I can park for free in frt of the club. Now this was Feb 05. Not to many elise around that time. Never let a valet guy boss you. They provide a service, if not they taste my engine.

Robert Real
"Say hallo tu my little fren".

05 Saffron Yellow Elise Touring Package . Quicksilver Exhaust, ACT clutch, FF header, 3M, Braile, FF CAI, Ragnorak Thor Body, Rangnor street racing cams, Sparco Extinguisher, Saffron Console, 75 HP Nos System, Rear Spoiler, Sparco LE Racing Wheels, 205/245 GY- F1 tires.
05 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
04 Porsche Carrera Cab 996 C2
01 Toyota Echo

65 Lorraine
95 Sandy
97 Alexander
99 Mad Max
post #58 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 12:36 PM

EliseTalk

I am new to EliseTalk as of a few days ago and I just wanna say Kudo's to you guys and gals. Tons of good information, Everyone is so helpful... I posted a message asking questions and got a response in 6 minutes.

I have wanted an Elise for the past Year, and I am paying off my school loans so that I can buy one... Shooting for May/June of 07 to have one in my driveway. Only bad part about this website is reading all the posts about how much everyone loves their car... and now Waiting for that day has become almost UNBEARABLE!!!

- Jeremy
post #59 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 02:40 PM

Jeremy,
The key is to not take everything here too seriously, enjoy the community and talking about the car, just remember it is JUST a car (I know heresy! ). We do have one or two or....... strong personalities/characters here.
Chris

Chris
post #60 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 06:25 AM

WD-40 does a great job getting rid of scuff marks/debris/tar marks from the rear diffuser.

'06 Ardent Red Elise - black interior with LSS, Touring, HT, Starshield, Lotus Sport Clutch, Moroso Oil Pan, Ekological HIDs, Lotus Driving Lights, Stebel Horn, Bootie, Razo '06 Pedal mod,Snorkel Delete,Odyssey 680 with s111 bracket.
WOO-HOO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in