Advice to new Elise owners - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:21 AM

as with any car with great breaks...make sure you KNOW how close the guy behind you is...because, odds are...his car cant ''break'' nearly as fast as yours...

Last edited by sechsgang; 08-07-2006 at 06:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang
his car cant break nearly as fast as yours...
That typo makes this about the truest statement ever!
Hunter_Lala likes this.
post #63 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 02:13 PM

caught it eh?

speaking of which...anyone know the price of the rear quarterpanals...or is that just the WHOLE rear clamshell...and same for the front panals...

Last edited by sechsgang; 08-07-2006 at 06:28 AM.

post #64 of 156 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 03:42 PM

If your considering the purchase of an Elise, you might want to plan ahead and have a secure place to park it - the best place is a private garage of course. There has been a disturbing number of incidents with these cars being egged, tires slashed, etc...

'06 Ardent Red Elise - black interior with LSS, Touring, HT, Starshield, Lotus Sport Clutch, Moroso Oil Pan, Ekological HIDs, Lotus Driving Lights, Stebel Horn, Bootie, Razo '06 Pedal mod,Snorkel Delete,Odyssey 680 with s111 bracket.
WOO-HOO!
post #65 of 156 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 03:49 PM

And, on corners, DON'T LIFT, DON'T LIFT, DON'T LIFT.

'05 Lotus Elise
'07 Caterham Seven www.hals7.com
post #66 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 06:30 AM

First post!

Great info everyone! This is a great forum community you all have here. Very comforting to a future owner like myself to know a resource like this exists since reliable dealer/service departments seem to be very scarce.

"Ordered" my Exige S yesterday... actual specs and pricing not announced yet but there was a handshake and small deposit placed

07 Lotus Exige S (on order)
07 Audi RS4
06 BMW M5
post #67 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 06:43 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldersburgElise
And, on corners, DON'T LIFT, DON'T LIFT, DON'T LIFT.
It's funny you post this today because on Sunday I was showing off to a female friend and for the first time I got some over steer on an off ramp and you just made me realize why. I usually just keep steady pressure on the throttle but she seemed a bit uncomfortable with the speed.

'06 Chilli Red Elise w/Painted Black Racing Stripe, Touring and Sport Package, Ohlin Dual Adjustable Coil Over Shocks, Gull Wing Top, Kenwood Flip Up Head Unit, Dual Alpine Amps, JL Stealth Box, Custom Seperate Speaker Installation, V1 Radar Detector w\Remote Volume Control & Mirror Display, Dual Battery, Custom Leather Seats and Leather Interior, Ecliptech Shift-I, B&M Short Shifter, LidBone, Researching SuperChargers, Headers, Performance Exhaust, 5 Element Diffuser & Cold air Intake
post #68 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 06:57 PM

Everybody lifts once, but that'll teach you not to do it again ....

'06 Elise, SoY/Red, Touring, Sport, LSD/TC, Hardtop, Stage 2, 4tress/Schroth, Micro/Multivex, Alpine/Focals/JLsub, CF console & A/C surround, Ultradiscs/R4s/stl lines, Extinguisher, Tow Hooks, Blackwatch key, RTD Brace, Ohlins, Traqmate, Katana Supercharger, Shifter reinforced.
post #69 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:05 AM

Actually, I lift in tight corners help rotate the car if the front end isn't cooperating.
post #70 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 10:44 AM

I worked at Beverly Hills Porsche and we sold a New GT ($448K plus fees) to a guy and he went out that night to dinner. He parked the car himself but the valet backed another car into his. The next morning the GT was back at our store with no rear bumper and only about an inch away from the carbon fiber frame. Even if you park it yourself, make sure you can't get backed into. Good luck

Brandon
post #71 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:01 PM

Hey thanks for that info! What's a clam shell? I am new to this hobby. . . .thanks!
post #72 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentino
Hey thanks for that info! What's a clam shell? I am new to this hobby. . . .thanks!
Hey- guess who??

The clamshell is the front or rear fiberglass structure (essentially the "body") that encompasses the head/tail lights, etc. There are no bumpers, so any low impact accidents, hitting curbs, etc. will damage the clam. It is rather costly to repair. Here is a picture of a damaged front clam and a picture of a car with the front clam removed.
Attached Images

'12 Evora-S; White; Tech/Perf/Suede
'65 Factory Five Shelby Cobra (SOLD)
'06 Exige; Polar Blue; Track/Touring/Stage II/LSD-TC (SOLD)
'05 Elise; Arctic Silver/Ruby Red (R.I.P)
post #73 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 05:48 PM

I believe this has been mentioned but I feel the need to do so again.

CHECK THE TIRE PRESSURES!

As delivered, my Exige S had 37, 45, and two 48 psi tires (spec is 26 front and 29 rear).

Oh yeah, and where do you buy the permagrin remover again?

WW

She's gone.
post #74 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 06:55 PM
glb

More Advice:

Adjust your headlights upwards, both beams. Everyone I know had to do this and it makes a significant diff.

Be careful passing on the right; use your lights. This is a v low car.

Drive with your finger on the horn button in traffic. Yes, you will inadvertently honk once or twice. Big deal.

Notice how often you can't see the faces of large truck, SUV, semi drivers. You know that means they cannot see you.

Get multivex mirrors and eliminate the blind spot. In the meantime, adjust your i/s mirror to angle behind the pass seat, i.e. so you can't see any of yourself.

Get a better horn; do a search.

Get a radar detector.

Save up for tickets.

You might find yourself mumbling "I love this car" to yourself. You are not crazy. Many of us do the same thing. It's "normal".

Have fun.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #75 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 07:07 PM

hey guys, this has been really helpful.

I absolutely love this car, and in 5 or so years, i cannot wait to own one of these cars.

also, what is "lifting"? im a bit confused on this term.

Current Car:
2000 dodge neon 5-speed
Fun little car for my first car
Give it 5-10 years and ill own an exige
post #76 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 08:29 PM
German Reimport

Good point you have there glb about passing on the right.
It just happened to me a the last time I took mine out.
I was passing a SUV on the right lane of a two lane 180 degree off ramp (which by the way is a lot of fun - that off ramp that is...)
I then moved over to the right lane to pass a lady in her hellidontknowsomecrapyoldcar on the left lane, just as that lady decided
to move over to the right. Good thing there was a street on my right exiting that off ramp! It all happened very fast, but that was the only chance I had to avoid a crash.
So I took an unexpected detour, but that's better than getting run over!

Anyway, in order to get in line with this thread:
- Tell your friends not to hold on to the windshield frame when getting in the car. They usually get in without holding on to it, but they are grabbing it trying to get out faster than you can say something.
- Do not count on other drivers seeing you - think ahead and take into account that they might not see you, be distracted, don't expect you to stop that quickly etc.
- Don't expect the tires to last. Keep in mind that being able to afford a car like this does't just mean being able to get a loan to buy it .I know a 24 year old kid who bought a S4 this spring, and I now see him struggeling keeping up with the cost...(god, I sound like my dad...!)
- Start slow and take your time to find the limits without rushing it in case you have never driven a car like this before.
I drove Miatas and SLKs for years, and I'm still a little scared of the capabilities of the Elise - its just far and beyond from everything I've ever driven in the past!
- But most of all: Enjoy that car and what it's capable of.
I wanted one since I drove my friend's seven 15 years ago, and finally getting one was one of the best decisions I ever made...
post #77 of 156 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1_2007
also, what is "lifting"? I'm a bit confused on this term.
Lifting refers to lifting your foot of the gas pedal - letting of the gas - suddenly. In any car, this will tend to shift the weight toward the front, and lighten the weight on the rear tires, promoting over-steer if the car is cornering hard. In a mid engined car like the Elise, a sudden lift, while on the edge of adhesion when cornering, often leads to snap over-steer - spinning the car.

You have to be pushing it pretty hard, but a sudden lift will have drastic results. Not something you usually have to worry about, but something that you should be aware of and keep in mind.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #78 of 156 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 09:09 AM

Get a battery tender, if you don't drive it often. Because the stock battery will die in about 2 weeks worth of sitting time.

05 Elise (RIP)
post #79 of 156 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 09:33 AM

Another item to check upon vehicle delivery and to perdiocally check is the secureness of the battery mount.
One of elisetalk's members suffered a lot of rear clam damage due to a loose battery rolling about in the trunk area while the vehicle was being driven.

'06 Ardent Red Elise - black interior with LSS, Touring, HT, Starshield, Lotus Sport Clutch, Moroso Oil Pan, Ekological HIDs, Lotus Driving Lights, Stebel Horn, Bootie, Razo '06 Pedal mod,Snorkel Delete,Odyssey 680 with s111 bracket.
WOO-HOO!
post #80 of 156 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 09:36 AM
www.theapexinn.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen
Lifting refers to lifting your foot of the gas pedal - letting of the gas - suddenly. In any car, this will tend to shift the weight toward the front, and lighten the weight on the rear tires, promoting over-steer if the car is cornering hard. In a mid engined car like the Elise, a sudden lift, while on the edge of adhesion when cornering, often leads to snap over-steer - spinning the car.

You have to be pushing it pretty hard, but a sudden lift will have drastic results. Not something you usually have to worry about, but something that you should be aware of and keep in mind.

MY two cents is: go out early on a sunday morning and find a nice big parking lot with NO cars and NO light poles ........get it into a tight turn ....and LIFT...... let it come around a little and catch it... you get a great feel as to what the car is going to do.

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in