The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Any changes to Exige for '09?

27K views 113 replies 36 participants last post by  SUTOL111x 
#1 ·
I obsessed over the past few weeks; my searching skills on this forum and the internet have proved fruitless with my meager ability. Does anybody have any idea?.. I think the only thing I saw was a 2009 new car buyer's guide in R&T or Motortrend stating there are no changes. (too early to be reliable?) I guess I have to wait until Nov. :panic: I wanna get a 240, and I'm going nuts.

#57 ·
sounds like the weight saving kit would be for the Cup 260. It will be expensive to drop 200lbs, even 100lbs will be $$$$$.

#61 ·
With dealer deliveries planned for around January/February, I would guess November/December at the earliest for an order. I am hoping for the specs on the build to be finalized in time to bring a car in for the LA Auto Show in November. I can't wait to see what the Lotus gods have come up with this time!!! :bow:

#59 ·
You gotta ask where this weight is coming from.

So you can leave the car without the touring pack and save 15 lbs.

You can't really lighten the wheels or the exhaust because they're both very, very light as it is (yes, even the Exhaust).

A CF roof could shed 10-12 lbs. A CF engine lid or lighter engine lid? That engine lid is heavy...

Battery? How much weight can you really shed from that?

There really is no weight to be shed anywhere else while keeping the car streetable. I highly doubt they'll use a lot of CF because it is expensive. I am extremely skeptical about all this weight-savings talk...That must be related to the Cup Car.

#60 ·
Lets add this up:
Exhaust = 10-15 pounds. Perhaps more if you are creative
Panel = 5 pounds. Eliminate
Battery = 10-15 pounds
Stereo with speakers = ~15 pounds (estimate)
Side mirrors = 1-3 pounds
Seats = 10-15 pounds (very expensive to do, though)
CF Access panels = 5 pounds?
CF top = 5-10 pounds
CF wing - 5 pounds??
CF clams/doors = 50-100 pounds (very expensive, although perhaps not so bad when economies of scale are factored in. Does CF require more labor than fiberglass?)
Wheels = Maybe 5 pounds, but they're already feather weight.
Fuel tank = how much weight is saved there???

200 appears possible if you add all that up, but I would have a hard time thinking there is less than $10k in materials there.

#63 ·
Still waiting to see what final specs/costs are on '09 Exige S 260. Anyone placed an order yet?

#64 ·
As far as I know, the dealers have not received the final specs yet, but they are due to receive them no later than the LA Auto Show dates. Once they receive them, orders can be placed. Abe will update us when he can, or just get Randy to post another of his "girl in boots" pics here in this thread and Abe should show up sooner. :D

#67 ·
That's news to me, unless something has dramatically changed in the last few weeks (like this economic pit we have fallen into and Lotus has changed its release date).

#71 ·
The '09 Exige S260 will not have a rear window any longer, just firewall all the way up to the roof. Don't know if they'll remove the rear view mirror or not.

#73 ·
As far as i know that might make it Illegal on the street in the US. From what i understand street legal cars must have a rearview mirror. Useless or not. I may be wrong though. Just what ive heard.

#72 ·
And some more info on the 2-11 GT4

12/11/08 - Racebred 2-Eleven Unleashed

The Lotus Sport 2-Eleven GT4 Supersport race car asserts itself at the pinnacle of the 2-Eleven range, combining race winning pedigree with unparalleled handling and balance.

Building on the success of the 2-Eleven road and track variants, Lotus Sport has developed this GT4 Supersport race car to compete in the European SRO GT4 Supersports category.

The Lotus Sport GT4 Supersport pushes the limits to the extreme: wearing a dramatic composite body, full rollcage and with increased power and a sequential gearbox it provides a race winning package. The GT4 Supersport offers an advanced aerodynamic package, with aggressive styling alluding to its searing performance and phenomenal racing potential.

Mike Kimberley, CEO of Group Lotus plc said, "Lotus has an enviable motor racing heritage that includes some of the most successful racing cars in history. We are confident that the 2-Eleven will continue our winning tradition and become a classic of the future. The 2-Eleven GT4 Supersport offers one of the most cost effective, competitive and easiest routes into this level of motorsport".

Lotus Sport has increased the power and torque available in the GT4 Supersport car to 270 PS and 247 Nm from the standard supercharged cars 255 PS and 242 Nm engine. The increases in power and torque have been gained through improved induction and exhaust systems, and with a high ratio supercharger drive system for increased levels of boost. To maximise the upgrades to the engine the engine management system has been remapped and optimised.

Lotus Sport is offering a 6 speed sequential gearbox with a centrally mounted push/ pull lever and gear selector display. The gearbox is integrated with the engine management system to allow flat shifts up through the box and an “autoblip” rev matching system on downchange. This transmission offers lightning quick gear changes, shaving those all important tenths off each gear change. A plate type limited slip differential, employed to improve traction out of corners competes the setup.

Chris Arnold, Head of Lotus Sport, said "the GT4 Supersport has some exceptional new features and provides a compelling package that has race winning credentials. This is a hugely exciting new car for Lotus Sport, we have already had good success in mainland Europe with the test car and we are looking forward to our customers successes in the 2009 season".

There will be an initial run limited to 10 cars priced at £78 255 MSRP with delivery dates in March ready for the '09 racing season. Some GT4 Supersport features can be retro-fitted to 2-Elevens that have already been purchased, offering increased versatility and allowing owners to upgrade their car as they hone their skills.

The 2-Eleven double wishbone suspension is uprated with stiffer race focused springs and dampers. The dampers are the race proven 2-way adjustable Ohlins units, allowing the handling to be fine tuned for optimum track setup. The rear suspension has been upgraded with the addition of race spec rear toe links. Semi-slick AO48 Yokohama's are fitted as standard.

Another new addition for 2009 is the Lotus manufactured FIA compliant carbon fibre race seats. The Lotus Sport seats are HANS approved and are complimented with a Schroth 6-point race harness. A 70 litre FIA approved bag tank is fitted as part of the GT4 Supersport spec along with a plumbed-in fire extinguisher system. A concession to easier ingress and egress comes in the form of a removable Lotus Sport steering wheel.

The GT4 Supersport has a rigid tonneau cover to improve aerodynamics. The aero package is improved with significant levels of downforce generated by a carbon fibre rear wing and rear diffuser, balanced by a deep front splitter. The GT4 Supersport generates up to 80 kg of positive downforce at 100 mph, which is over 10 % of the cars weight.

The race car retains the excellent sports tuned ABS, variable traction control and launch control systems available on the current 2-Eleven. These race proven systems have been thoroughly tested and give exceptional feel and control in a wide variety of conditions.

About Lotus Sport
Lotus Sport is the extreme race track and special edition arm of Lotus Cars Ltd and is located at the Norfolk Head Office next to the famous Hethel test track. The department designs and builds extreme performance road cars, track cars and full race cars as well offering a performance parts service and bespoke driver training packages.

About Group Lotus plc:
The main operating subsidiary of Group Lotus plc is Lotus Cars Ltd, which has two operating divisions - Lotus Engineering and Lotus Cars. Lotus Engineering is an internationally recognised automotive engineering consultancy based in Norfolk, UK. Global facilities include those in Michigan (USA), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), China and offices in Germany and Japan.

Lotus Engineering provides comprehensive and versatile consultancy services to many of the world's OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers, offering a full engineering service from initial concept and project design through development and integration of the complete vehicle to meet all worldwide markets and customers to full production. This includes third party 'niche vehicle' engineering and manufacture.

Lotus Cars builds world class, prestige, high performance sports cars for sale in 37 countries. These include the iconic Lotus Elise, the Exige and Europa. Lotus is a global high-tech company, expanding rapidly and committed to driving forward technology for both Lotus Cars and its Engineering clients, spearheading research into such areas as hybrids, electric vehicles and renewable fuels.

For further details please contact:
PR Department, Group Lotus plc
Group Lotus plc, Potash Lane, Hethel, Norfolk, UK, NR14 8EZ
Tel: +44 1953 608264
Fax: +44 1953 608111
Email: pr@lotuscars.co.uk

#76 ·
You guys waiting on '09's and are thinking of getting the track pack (assuming options are the same as '08's) might want to think twice. They might have changed springs in '08 which will not let you balance the car or get it to 120mm (you can do one or the other but not both). It is hard to get them under the recommended 130mm 'street' height.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1150060-post50.html
I am still looking for more '08 owner examples, so far we are 2 for 2 having problems.

#77 ·
Hmmm, that is troublesome and unexpected - frustrating to say the least. If it is a "Track" Pack, it makes no sense that they would change the springs so it cannot be lowered. :shrug:

#86 ·
The back of the cockpit is covered in what appeared to be a mildly textured, one-piece cover that extended down behind the seats. It may have consisted of some sound deadening or heat insulation material. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it, except to note that there is no rear window any more.

I don't think the graphics are necessarily indicative of how all the cars will come.

#85 ·
Wonder if can be ordered without black graphics :). Can CF panels be painted? Jeff and Pamela
If it is a limited edition car, for resale purposes, you may not want to remove the graphics, but I suppose you could buy an extra set just in case. CF panels can be painted, as you will note, the CF roof and front access panels on this Cup 260 are partially painted.

Attachments

#89 ·
The build details may be available at the LA Auto Show, so someone will likely post them up when and if they know - "interesting" is right, very. There are a few surprises in store, I am sure. :)

#90 ·
Can someone tell me the advantages/disavantages of the alcantara material? It looks like it is used extensively in the interior of the S260 and although I know this material is also used in other cars, including exotics, frankly, I like the look of the leather in the S240 better. I haven't seen or touched the material in person.

So, what am I missing here and why is it so widely used?

Thanks,

#91 ·
From the Alcantara web site........
"Corporate
Introduction

Timeless elegance, distinction and sensory appeal. Combined with innovation, high-tech applications, versatility, and a pleasant feel. These are all features of Alcantara®‚ a registered trademark that distinguishes the products of Alcantara S.p.A.; for years our company has been strongly committed to offering solutions marked by certified high quality and globally unparalleled technology, in constant evolution.
That's why the little ® next to the Alcantara® brand has enormous significance: it's a guarantee that protects consumers against illegitimate use and imitations, highlighting the importance of our international reputation and the uniqueness of our brand.
The unchallenged leader in its sector for upholstering all kinds of design, Alcantara® is more than just an innovative material, it is one that can help to define your world: it ennobles form and enhances design.
Invention

The incredible appeal of Alcantara® stems from a true technological breakthrough, an invention that comes from Japan.
It all started in 1970, when Japanese Dr. Miyoshi Okamoto filed a patent for this innovative material. To tap the full potential of this extraordinary discovery, the Italian ENI Group was chosen as the European partner that could help it tackle the market.
Once an agreement had been signed for commercial use of the patent, the material was launched under the brand name Alcantara®.
Alcantara® is based on a proprietary technology, yet unrivalled, and ensures that the product will preserve its avant-garde and uniqueness features over time.
Innovation

Alcantara® is a lifestyle in constant evolution. The high technology that is at the basis of the production of Alcantara® allows infinite colour combinations and customised processing.
The solutions made by our Trend&Design team are based on constant experimentation and an eye for the latest fashions: floral patterns, silver or glitter finishes and tasteful contrasts are just a few of the many possible applications, all aimed at highlighting the style and elegance of a material that is globally unparalleled.
All phases of processing, from spinning to dyeing, are carried out in the 200,000 square metres of our large Italian plant in Nera Montoro, near Terni.
This is where the magic of Alcantara® was born: every aspect of the facility is avant-garde, based on some of the most sophisticated scientific research developed by the international chemical and textile industry.
The Research and Development department is constantly at work on new products and polymers, inventing processes that are geared to the market of the future.
Another concrete example of the company's sensitivity to technological evolution can be found in the significant relationships built up with major European universities active in fields of possible affinity with Alcantara® products.
Alcantara places enormous importance on high automation of its manufacturing process, as well as its commitment to foreseeing and minimising environmental impact: its policy is aimed at ensuring levels of eco-efficiency higher than those currently required by specific regulations."

#92 ·
if the Exige S 260 has those carbon parts on it...easily will sell around 90k. No less, I actually think it would be around 100k.

#95 ·
I have never owned a car with it, so I can't comment on the wear. However, I do have two points that might be helpful as I have been in some cars with it.

1) It feels nice to the touch, sort of suede like.
2) It certainly holds you in place better, does not get hot in the sun like leather does.

I have not been in a car on the track with Alcantra, but I can clearly imagine how the second bullet above, would be helpful in a track car. Having said that, I track the standard Exige regularly and have no issues given how well the seat wraps around you. I do believe I would still choose Alcantra over leather if given the choice at equal cost.

However, I do prefer the leather smell and I just love sitting down in my Exige and taking a deep breath before I push the start button.

:evil:

#96 ·
Thanks - very helpful. I will see the S260 Saturday and take a look. Just from pics, I think I prefer the look of the shiny leather over the dull suede look - maybe because it matches the shine on my bald head better. :)

#97 ·
Can anyone confirm weather Alcantara will stain like Suede?

You know how they have suede brushes to comb the nap (or whatever you call it) and restore the fuzziness, can the Alcantara material harden and the nap get ruined like suede?

With leather, I can use a good leather cleaner and conditioner and wipe off spills. I worry that Alcantara will stain (get soiled and wear odd), not clean easily and nap.

Some cars have Alcantara steering wheels - I just imagine that would last about a year and have permanent marks wherever you grip the wheel.

#98 ·
Can anyone confirm weather Alcantara will stain like Suede?
Doesn't seem to. I have Alcantara inserts in my S4 and it holds up very well. Doesn't crush or seem to stain at all and mine are light grey. My kids haven't been able to ruin the seats yet.

The best part of Alcantara is how well you stick to the seats in corners. It's like velcro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.