Any news on the next gen Elise/Exige? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 03:44 AM

...i expect that the series 3 elise will lose its gills and see the bodywork toned down a bit for a sleeker coefficient of drag, looking to the evora for design cues...

2005 Federal Elise | Touring | Storm Titanium
...85,000 miles and aging beautifully...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 10:10 AM

Frankly I am a little concerned about the styling direction the next generation Elise and Exige may take given the Evora and 2010 Exige restyle.

The Evora is ok - it's just bland in some regards. I have to admit I haven't seen one in person yet - so I may be all mistaken about this - but from the photos the nose looks disproportionately HUGE. There seems to be so much overhang over those front wheels that it distorts the whole look to me.

And there is nothing good I can say about the 2010 Exige restyle. None of it fits - and it doesn't fit within the existing Elise and Evora styling. I hope for brand identity that Lotus would have some shared styling elements - like the grill or something to tie each car together. As it is with the 2010 Exige - it looks like some hodge podge of many things. It also makes no sense that Lotus did this with only 2 years left on this gen (according to Mike Kimberlys plan).

I really hope the 2010 Exige isn't some indicator of what is to come.

2009 EXIGE SPORT 260 - Chrome Orange / Carbon Fiber / Black with the ~mustache~
Purchased through St Louis Motorsports

The Comprehensive Exige 260 Registry
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 PM

I disagree on the brand image and shared styling elements. Let the designers do what they want. It looks so forced when... for example Porsche attempts to put 911 look headlights on the SUV thing etc for "brand image". I do think the Elise should keep the most aggressive styling. It just goes with the cars unrefined visceral appeal. I would like to see a bit more of the angular 211 style brought over to the regular Elise.

The Lotus Elise is not a very practical car, but it could probably be considered the most practical motorcycle ever made!

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishus_1 View Post
Frankly I am a little concerned about the styling direction the next generation Elise and Exige may take given the Evora and 2010 Exige restyle.

And there is nothing good I can say about the 2010 Exige restyle. It also makes no sense that Lotus did this with only 2 years left on this gen (according to Mike Kimberlys plan).
...i wouldn't be at all suprised to see the next-generation exige lag a year or two behind the introduction of the series 3 elise, just for marketing and tooling purposes...given that, the 2010 exige is something of a lame duck model - it'll probably be produced for three to four years but they can't let it steal the thunder of the series 3 exige styling which is probably already under development...

2005 Federal Elise | Touring | Storm Titanium
...85,000 miles and aging beautifully...
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 08:02 AM

The next Elise and Exige are a very touchy subject at Lotus. The temptation is to redesign the entire car to make it more marketable in countries like the US where we expect real cup holders, quiet cabins and golf club holding trunks. To do that the car would need to become much larger and basically defeat the purpose of the model. Therefore the program engineer's point-of-view is to keep the platform they have now and simply upgrade it. The Elise will likely get a aesthetic revision in the same concept as the 2010 Exige in 2011. But within 3-4 years, there will need to be a mechanical revision as the 2ZZ engines are going out of production. I would expect a revision at that point that falls more in line with the Evora and next Esprit styling. Since there are carry over elements between the Evora and Esprit, I would also expect some items to carry over to the next Elise like the headlamps from the Evora. I would assume the chassis improvements from the Europa and Tesla would also be adopted (i.e. lower sills). The really wonderful thing about the Evora is that it is more of a "world car", offering a higher level of comfort for the typical GT buyer. This means, in theory, that the next Elise and Exige can stay focused and not have to satisfy both the sports car and GT segments.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Rei

I just demand actual "sacrificial" bumpers is that too much to ask.

Kids in the Back seat causes Accidents
Accidents in the Back Seat causes Kids
Moral Stick with a Two Seater
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantanelise View Post
The people that cant tell a caymen from a 911 cant tell a caymen from an Exige either so do they really matter?
Actually I think a lot of people can't tell an Exige from an Elise too, especially from the front or when there is an aftermarket wing on the Elise.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
I just demand actual "sacrificial" bumpers is that too much to ask.
yes, that is too much to ask

Dude, there's my car!
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 07:03 AM

Thumbs up 2010 Lotus Exige S 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseAtLeast View Post
When can we expect any news on the next generation Elise/Exige?
Currently we have a 2010 Exige S 240 Black on Black and the vehcile has just gotten an updated front clam and spoiler. The front end looks pretty cool and the spoiler is attached to the body, instead of the rear hatch. Pretty mean looking though.

You can check it out in the FVMC Lotus Inventory section on Cars for sale in this forum. I have more pictures upon request.

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 04:29 AM

I saw a photo of 2011 Elise

Similar to the Evora in front. About the same as pre-20011 in back. Like the Evora, it seems to have lost it's radical styling. Alledgedly more aerodynamic and a bit lighter, but same engine(s).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in