Buying an 07' Exige S on Consignment - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueno View Post
Tell your GF's parents to not limit themselves on location if they really want an Exige. There's a couple out there for sale at around that price from private party and one of them is a member here.
yeah, I started looking here an saw a few good cars. He is really busy with work which is why he's having me handle most of the negotiations and talks with the dealer. If he did buy a car from out of state, it would complicate things a lot since he really likes to be able to check the car out in person. But then again, poor old me would have to drive it home if he did buy out of state. The car is getting a PPI and ecu dump as we speak so we'll see how it goes.

I called and asked if my salesman knew exactly what packages and options the car had regarding the track pack. He said it did have the track pack, which i'll comfirm with the PPI place. He also said that the car has a stage 2 ecu and stage 3 exhaust. how likely is that? I belive that it has a track pack and stage 2 exhaust but again, i'll have to ask the PPI inspector about the stage 2 ecu and stage 3 exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 02:58 PM

Stage 2 ecu

2009 EXIGE SPORT 260 - Chrome Orange / Carbon Fiber / Black with the ~mustache~
Purchased through St Louis Motorsports

The Comprehensive Exige 260 Registry
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishus_1 View Post
Stage 2 ecu
I take it with the there are no "stages" for the ecu?

The compression was 215 across the board, all 5 Max RPM's right around 8700. The rear tires need to be replaced, the fronts are 4/32. brakes are 7mm front and rear, 2 floor retainers missing, minor oil seapage normal for supercharged cars. also, the muffler needs to be replaced because its "burned out". maybe just repack the sound deadening?

does anyone know how to interpret the ecu dump? i can get some of it.

max speed:
206 kph

Last 0-160kph
13.7. s

I don't know what the rest means

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

also, how likely is it that this thing really does have a stage 3 exhaust? and whats the difference between stage 1, 2, and 3?
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanders2 View Post
I take it with the there are no "stages" for the ecu?

The compression was 215 across the board, all 5 Max RPM's right around 8700. The rear tires need to be replaced, the fronts are 4/32. brakes are 7mm front and rear, 2 floor retainers missing, minor oil seapage normal for supercharged cars. also, the muffler needs to be replaced because its "burned out". maybe just repack the sound deadening?

does anyone know how to interpret the ecu dump? i can get some of it.

max speed:
206 kph

Last 0-160kph
13.7. s

I don't know what the rest means

ECU dump looks good!

Those revs are nothing. I've been told that 9000 is questionable, 9500+ is where things get hairy (by a dealer on a warranty issue).

Top speed is not bad at all.

The rears on these are really seasonal tires. You can push them to two seasons, but why risk driving on poorly performing tires. Plan on a new set of rears every season.

If the muffler is shot, this is a great opportunity to grab a great aftermarket muffler.

07 ExigeS;05 Elise(RIP);06 V70R;12 JKUR
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:42 PM

Garage
Ok, since this is a consignment sale, the dealer should call the seller and ask them exactly what the car has.

Likely it has a Stage 3 exhaust if you start it up and it "rumbles", and it sounds like a sport bike at high revs while driving. It should also "pop" and "gurgle" on shifts and deceleration. You should barely be able to hear the supercharger if at all. Should be a single oval tip. A dual tip is likely a Stage 2 exhaust, meant for non-supercharged cars.

If it has a stock exhaust, the supercharger will be very clear and noticeable. You likely will not hear or feel the cam switch (around roughly 5500 rpms, but varies depending on load).

A "stage 2 ecu" could mean the dealer was told something was done to the ECU, but they clearly didn't understand. There are tunes available, so its best to clarify with the actual seller exactly what there is to know about the ECU.

Consignment sales should be easy on the buyer, as the actual seller is available for contact (through the dealership) for all these sorts of questions. Don't let the dealer answer for the seller, but instead suggest a conference call with the seller. That way they remain anonymous, if desired, and you get real answers.

07 Magnetic Blue Exige S
"Mostly though, it's just a triumph of British engineering." -Jeremy Clarkson
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlj3394 View Post
ECU dump looks good!

Those revs are nothing. I've been told that 9000 is questionable, 9500+ is where things get hairy (by a dealer on a warranty issue).

Top speed is not bad at all.

The rears on these are really seasonal tires. You can push them to two seasons, but why risk driving on poorly performing tires. Plan on a new set of rears every season.

If the muffler is shot, this is a great opportunity to grab a great aftermarket muffler.
what muffler would you recommend? He's old (60) so he won't want it to be over bearing but he does like a noticeable exhaust note. He also wouldn't want to restrict performance so maybe there is a straight through muffler that will fit the bill?

With april showers on the way here in oregon, i think it would be best for him to replace all 4 tires very soon. I was looking at the dunlp star specs in 205/45 16 and 235/45 17 for a replacement. They should have better wet traction and longer life, all while costing about half of the oem yoko's. From what I've read here on the forums they don't rub at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Know View Post
Ok, since this is a consignment sale, the dealer should call the seller and ask them exactly what the car has.

Likely it has a Stage 3 exhaust if you start it up and it "rumbles", and it sounds like a sport bike at high revs while driving. It should also "pop" and "gurgle" on shifts and deceleration. You should barely be able to hear the supercharger if at all. Should be a single oval tip. A dual tip is likely a Stage 2 exhaust, meant for non-supercharged cars.

If it has a stock exhaust, the supercharger will be very clear and noticeable. You likely will not hear or feel the cam switch (around roughly 5500 rpms, but varies depending on load).

A "stage 2 ecu" could mean the dealer was told something was done to the ECU, but they clearly didn't understand. There are tunes available, so its best to clarify with the actual seller exactly what there is to know about the ECU.

Consignment sales should be easy on the buyer, as the actual seller is available for contact (through the dealership) for all these sorts of questions. Don't let the dealer answer for the seller, but instead suggest a conference call with the seller. That way they remain anonymous, if desired, and you get real answers.
I went and looked at the pictures and it does have a single oval exhaust tip. this means it does indeed have stage 3 exhaust? what does the stage 3 have over stage 1 and 2?

I think the the car has a green light, but a chat with the previous owner would be nice just to straighten out all the facts about the options.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 06:25 AM

It's hard to tell from that rear shot - but it looks like LOTUS across the back is a decal instead of the stick on 3D letters. If that is correct, that is would make me look more carefully at this. 2007's had stick on 3D letters. 2006 and earlier had flat stickers spelling out the word LOTUS.

When I see unusual oddities like that, I start to suspect repaired body damage. Doesn't necessarily mean that - perhaps the previous owner just liked it one way and changed it.

There is no visual difference between the stock muffler tip and stage 3. The only way to tell, other than sound, is to take off the rear diffuser and look at it. Stage 3 is smaller. Stage 2 (which can be fitted to a supercharged car) has 2 tips that sit flush - you don't have that one.

Both stage 2 and stage 3 are some of the loudest exhausts available for an Exige. The stage 2 and stage 3 exhausts are purely about sound - no performance gain. In fact you will not get a performance gain from any muffler change (strait through or not) or any other peripheral modification on an Exige. The ECU learns, adjusts and tunes out (or detunes) to compensate. The only way to make some other mod like that effective is to recalibrate the ECU.

There is no such thing as a stage 2 ECU for a 2007 Exige. Lotus does not offer ANY ECU modifications for 2007 and newer Exiges. You could get what was called a stage 2 ECU enhancement through Lotus for a 2006 Exige (non supercharged) - this would adjust when the cam would kick in. With a 2007 and newer, if your ECU is somehow different, then that means it was done by some aftermarket source - which means you have no warranty for anything that subsequently gets damaged and can be blamed on that.

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 06:33 AM

Also - one other thing. That is an early 2007 (built before January 2007) since it does not have the rear bumperettes surrounding the license plate. The Exige went through a transition that year due to expiration of a federal exemption for bumpers, headlights, etc. Although not noticably different externally, the reinforcement, headlight buckets and support on the clams are different.

Since most 2007's were built after January, Lotus has actually stopped producing early 2007 rear clams (which is more like the rear 2006 clam). The later (post January) 2007 clam is the same as 2008 and 2009. This can be fitted to the rear if in an accident and needs to be replaced. Just an FYI.

Also know that there are many who experience a phenomenon on these whereby the car stalls on an incline or sometimes coming to a stop. There have been service actions and reflashes to address with limited success. According to Charlie X (who customizes ECU's) this problem will always exist due to the design. But if you should experience that, doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.

post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's hard to tell from that rear shot - but it looks like LOTUS across the back is a decal instead of the stick on 3D letters. If that is correct, that is would make me look more carefully at this. 2007's had stick on 3D letters. 2006 and earlier had flat stickers spelling out the word LOTUS.

When I see unusual oddities like that, I start to suspect repaired body damage. Doesn't necessarily mean that - perhaps the previous owner just liked it one way and changed it.

There is no visual difference between the stock muffler tip and stage 3. The only way to tell, other than sound, is to take off the rear diffuser and look at it. Stage 3 is smaller. Stage 2 (which can be fitted to a supercharged car) has 2 tips that sit flush - you don't have that one.

Both stage 2 and stage 3 are some of the loudest exhausts available for an Exige. The stage 2 and stage 3 exhausts are purely about sound - no performance gain. In fact you will not get a performance gain from any muffler change (strait through or not) or any other peripheral modification on an Exige. The ECU learns, adjusts and tunes out (or detunes) to compensate. The only way to make some other mod like that effective is to recalibrate the ECU.

There is no such thing as a stage 2 ECU for a 2007 Exige. Lotus does not offer ANY ECU modifications for 2007 and newer Exiges. You could get what was called a stage 2 ECU enhancement through Lotus for a 2006 Exige (non supercharged) - this would adjust when the cam would kick in. With a 2007 and newer, if your ECU is somehow different, then that means it was done by some aftermarket source - which means you have no warranty for anything that subsequently gets damaged and can be blamed on that.
The VIN number confirms that the car is a 2007. I'll look into the lotus decal when I see the car in person later today.

The car is already out of warranty by a month so a modified ecu shouldn't be a worry

Thats interesting to hear that the stage 2 and 3 exhausts don't give any power gains. either way, the muffler on this car is "burned out", so a replacement is needed. Her dad likes the naked rear look. would the Larini Sport 8 Inch be a good choice for a good balance between noise and power ( tune needed?). what are other good naked rear panel exit exhausts?

Quote:
Also - one other thing. That is an early 2007 (built before January 2007) since it does not have the rear bumperettes surrounding the license plate. The Exige went through a transition that year due to expiration of a federal exemption for bumpers, headlights, etc. Although not noticably different externally, the reinforcement, headlight buckets and support on the clams are different.

Since most 2007's were built after January, Lotus has actually stopped producing early 2007 rear clams (which is more like the rear 2006 clam). The later (post January) 2007 clam is the same as 2008 and 2009. This can be fitted to the rear if in an accident and needs to be replaced. Just an FYI.

Also know that there are many who experience a phenomenon on these whereby the car stalls on an incline or sometimes coming to a stop. There have been service actions and reflashes to address with limited success. According to Charlie X (who customizes ECU's) this problem will always exist due to the design. But if you should experience that, doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.
good to know, thanks. The car was sold new on 2/23/07 so it was likely built before january. I've tried looking and can't find much info. how much does a tune from charlie x cost and what power gains are expected?

Last edited by kanders2; 03-26-2010 at 08:32 AM.
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Got the car for $41k! thanks for all the input guys.
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 PM

Congratulations! Now, drive it like you stole it. Maybe you did!

Eric H.
'77 Esprit S1 "project"/'94 RX-7 R2/'00 RC51/'16 Focus RS
?? '10 (or maybe '11, or maybe hybrid, maybe '12, maybe '13...maybe '20) Esprit
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 08:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanders2 View Post
Thats interesting to hear that the stage 2 and 3 exhausts don't give any power gains. either way, the muffler on this car is "burned out", so a replacement is needed.

good to know, thanks. The car was sold new on 2/23/07 so it was likely built before january. I've tried looking and can't find much info. how much does a tune from charlie x cost and what power gains are expected?
Who is telling you the exhaust is "burned out"? That person may not know what a Stage 3 sounds like and may assume that the quiet stock exhaust is burned out...

Info about the Gotham tunes is here, but you should probably confirm with the seller what the car actually has before you start jumping into doing mods you may already have. Good to see you got it for 41k, but it doesn't sound like you may know what you actually purchased for that price...unless you did have a conversation with the seller.

07 Magnetic Blue Exige S
"Mostly though, it's just a triumph of British engineering." -Jeremy Clarkson
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurosport View Post
Congratulations! Now, drive it like you stole it. Maybe you did!
nah, I took it easy on the ride home. Mr. Ly is an old guy and drives like one so he didn't want me to show him what the full acceleration feels like. the car still felt amazing. I've never felt steering that is so direct and quick. It really does feel like i'm driving a big go-kart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Know View Post
Who is telling you the exhaust is "burned out"? That person may not know what a Stage 3 sounds like and may assume that the quiet stock exhaust is burned out...

Info about the Gotham tunes is here, but you should probably confirm with the seller what the car actually has before you start jumping into doing mods you may already have. Good to see you got it for 41k, but it doesn't sound like you may know what you actually purchased for that price...unless you did have a conversation with the seller.
You may be right about the exhaust. It was popping and burbling on every down/up shift. it sounds like a sport bike on start up. I can't wait to hear it at full throttle at 8k rpm.

The dealer said the ecu was not stock, but was a lotus ecu. maybe a lotus sport ecu?

I agree that a chat with the previous owner about options/mods would be a good idea. Although Mr. Ly probably won't be doing to any more performance mods.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 10:34 AM

Nope not a Lotus Sport ECU either...there is no alternative Lotus ECU for a 2007 Exige. If it is not stock - then it is an aftermarket mod by someone else (such as Charlie X) to the an existing ECU.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in