Buying 2008 Elise SC Need Advice - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Buying 2008 Elise SC Need Advice

Please help with some advice on this purchase. I have read all the newbie info I could find on this site but am still...a newbie and would appreciate any info you can share.

I put a deposit on this car Friday. It's in CO Springs, I am in Los Angeles. It's an anniversary edition with 450 miles being sold by a large Porsche dealership. The nearest Lotus dealer is several hours away so I can't get an ECU dump. I have requested a written guarantee that ECU has not been modified and that warranty is 100% in tact and transferable. I have also asked that they have a Lotus dealer review the receipts for the modifications and confirm, in writing that the modifications will not void the warranty (your insight would be especially appreciated here). I do not intend to track it beyond taking some performance driving lessons. I'm buying a track modified car because the mods SEEM minimal to me and I'm able to pick this up for under $42k, which seems to be a great deal.

Check Engine light is on, which dealer says is from battery replacement. Would a power interruption turn on the check engine light? I have asked them to check what ECU codes they can without a Lotus-specific interface and provide them as I want to know the exact reason the light is on, AND I want it turned off.

Car has the following mods from a reputable BMW performance dealer and has never been on the track:
Larini Clubsport exhaust - cat back, and original exhaust is included
Battery Kill Switch and lightweight battery
New motor mounts
Rear tie bar support plus alignment
Shifter Support Bracket (do not know what this is)
Stainless brake lines and Motul fluid (after flush)
Pagid Blue pads
Carbon Side air scoops
Track tow hooks front and back

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 01:44 PM

I'd say your doing a lot right .Why new motor mounts ? Good luck ,I'm a little behind you on a purchase (about 6 months).This is a great place to learn.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Moderator Extraordinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yynhymr View Post
Check Engine light is on, which dealer says is from battery replacement. Would a power interruption turn on the check engine light? I have asked them to check what ECU codes they can without a Lotus-specific interface and provide them as I want to know the exact reason the light is on, AND I want it turned off.
Disconnecting the battery cables to replace the battery will not cause the MIL to come on. Be aware that the Porsche dealer will be able to erase the code and turn off the light (actually any generic code reader with a reset function will work too) so you are completely at their mercy when it comes to them actually giving you the code they found. If, of course, there is something still wrong that is causing the OBD code, it will soon cause the light to come on again so make sure you can run/drive the car for awhile to see what happens.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
1. I have requested a written guarantee that ECU has not been modified and that warranty is 100% in tact and transferable.

2. I have also asked that they have a Lotus dealer review the receipts for the modifications and confirm, in writing that the modifications will not void the warranty (your insight would be especially appreciated here).

3. I'm able to pick this up for under $42k, which seems to be a great deal.

4. I have asked them to check what ECU codes they can without a Lotus-specific interface and provide them as I want to know the exact reason the light is on, AND I want it turned off.
1. Please keep in mind that a Porsche dealer is NOT a Lotus dealer therefore they do not know what to look for regarding the ECU..maybe if they called a Lotus dealer and asked, it "might" help. Also, although it's common knowledge that all factory warranties are transferable, Porsche has NO authority over Lotus warranty and cannot guarantee anything however, like I stated, ALL remaining factory warranties are transferable so no worries there.

2. Again, see #1 but I'd probably recommend that you have a Porsche tech speak to a Lotus tech to make YOUR life easier and DO NOT assume the salesperson will do this for you, you have to take action yourself...afterall, you're the one paying for it.

3. 100% agree, $42K for a 60th Anniversary Edition is a great deal and congrats if everything works out for you

4. See #2, have them talk to a Lotus tech because they are not going to know unless they have a Lotus service manual.

Good luck and post pics if you get
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for initial advice

I spoke to the head of Lotus Maintenance at Galpin in So Cal (EXTREMELY helpful folks and a truly impressive dealership - test drove there as well). He confirmed that none of the listed mods will affect the warranty. Also said that if car sat for a while (as it did) and needed a jump to start, the MIL light would come on.

Although the Porsche dealer has no authority over Lotus, if they guarantee in writing that the warranty has not been breached in any way, they are on the hook to step in for Lotus for any and all possible warranty work, which covers my a** enough to give me comfort.

I have requested that a Porsche tech speak to a tech from the CO Lotus dealer to check the ECU codes, but will keep in mind that Porsche tech can clear the code. I was not aware of that.

Engine mounts were swapped out as part of setting this up for racing. I'm not sure if they put in solid mounts or just a stiffer set. I'll swap them back if the vibration is annoying.

Thanks again for the info.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Added some links to your mod list above, so you can see what they are. All in all, pretty standard stuff. The motor mounts may be inserts or replacements. You should get verification (via receipt or such) to find out. Either are a good upgrade, replacements giving a higher level of vibration, but a more thorough upgrade. The upgrades could be sourced from somewhere else, but most likely all from Sector111 (Welcome to Sector 111, home of Lotus Elise Aftermarket Performance Parts and Exhaust Accessories.)

07 Magnetic Blue Exige S
"Mostly though, it's just a triumph of British engineering." -Jeremy Clarkson
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I spoke to the head of Lotus Maintenance at Galpin in So Cal (EXTREMELY helpful folks and a truly impressive dealership - test drove there as well). He confirmed that none of the listed mods will affect the warranty. Also said that if car sat for a while (as it did) and needed a jump to start, the MIL light would come on.

Although the Porsche dealer has no authority over Lotus, if they guarantee in writing that the warranty has not been breached in any way, they are on the hook to step in for Lotus for any and all possible warranty work, which covers my a** enough to give me comfort.

I have requested that a Porsche tech speak to a tech from the CO Lotus dealer to check the ECU codes, but will keep in mind that Porsche tech can clear the code. I was not aware of that.

Engine mounts were swapped out as part of setting this up for racing. I'm not sure if they put in solid mounts or rjust a stiffer set. I'll swap them back if the vibration is annoying.

Thanks again for the info.
I've been in the industry in ALL levels for 20 years and I can tell you that most dealers that are smart enough would NOT guarantee another manufacturers warranty as BOTH parties can suffer and yes, including you because if, and playing devils advocate here, just in case it was voided, the dealer would be on the hook if they signed a guarantee but in order to limit their incurred cost, they'd try and fix it themselves as oppose to you asking them to take it to a certified Lotus dealer which they can and typically will refuse.

Another thing to understand and sometimes it gets lost in the shuffle, even a Lotus dealer cannot guarantee the warranty as only Lotus USA, Inc. can since it's their word that counts anyways...trust me, I've seen it happen before but the best thing for you to do is get in contact with the field engineer Dave Simkin or call HQ themselves and give them the V.I.N. This will and should give you piece of mind more than the dealer where you're buying it from (which I'm sure are reputable) and even more than a new Lotus dealer can.

For what it's worth, I highly doubt there's anything wrong with this car and that you'll be highly satisfied.

If you have any questions or need contact numbers, feel free to drop me a PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:04 AM

Under $42k???????

For a 60th Ann with 450 miles??????!!!!! My friend that's insane!!!! Congrats on stealing that car. If you're a track guy hen you'll love the 60th as it comes with the sport and track packages.

With 450 miles this must be a an untitled new car. The "mods" are puzzling to me. Why would a dealer add mods to a new car? Perhaps it's titled, modded by the owner, and then never driven. My '08 SC was $42,800 with 1039 miles and only 6 months old. The original owner bought it, garaged it and didn't drive it. He traded it in for a Jaguar XK (zzzzzzzzz). Perhaps your guy did the same for a 911 S.

Personally, I think he blew it! Your gain. Nice score dood!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for more great input

Thanks again for the advice - ESPECIALLY the links to the mods I listed (VERY helpful)

A little more info - apparently this car was purchased buy a guy with many sports cars who thought he wanted to start racing after spending a day in driving school. He bought it, had all the mods done then never put it on the track. He drove it a few times then put it in his warehouse. Apparently he found the ingress and egress a bit more cumbersome than he would like or maybe the excitement of track racing wore off while he was waiting for delivery and completion of the mods. Regardless of the reasons, he brought it to his Porsche dealer and had them buy it in return for adding another porsche to his collection. They bought it outright and wanted it cleared from their books. I am the lucky beneficiary of this series of events.

Again, thanks for all the input. Can't wait to get my a** behind the wheel and start learning to drive all over again.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

P0603 VIN does not match ECU - Advice?

Just learned that the car is throwing this code. I have searched the forum and found nothing definitive about this. Could this indicate that the ECU has been wiped clean? Can anyone tell me what I should look for/be aware of on a vehicle showing this code? Thanks.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 PM

This car is a quintessential british roadster, snappy off the line, not a lot of top end but amazingly fun around the corners Lotus is a global high tech company and expanding fast. We are committed to driving forward with technology for both Lotus Cars and our Engineering Clients, spearheading research into ever-increasing fields, such as, hybrids, electric vehicles.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 03:08 AM

hi

I would like to day that you right. All the best for your motor vehicle.

Massachusetts Auto Transport|Michigan Auto Transport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in