Convince me not to buy an Exige - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouvier
  • Does anyone have any recommendations on places to get the car serviced in the SF Bay area, ideally in or around Palo Alto?
First of all, if you search through old posts, you will see that basically no one has ever said anything good about Boardwalk sales.
And a LOT of people have said many bad things. Although, some people are pleased with their Lotus Service Department.
In general, buying from Boardwalk is probably a baaaaaaad idea.
Getting service there might be OK.

However, by FAR, most people will recommend Silicon Valley Auto Group to you (in Campbell, which is "close enough" to Palo Alto).
They care about the Elise community, have sponsored "Tech Days" at their garage on their day off for the Golden Gate Lotus Club (or was it for Club111? or both?), and get consistently good reviews from people on Elisetalk (with a few minor complaints along the way, obviously).

Also, some people have recommended Dietsch Werks in Sunnyvale for non-warranty stuff (search on "Dietsch" to see other threads).

I would also like to point out that I was very impressed with the sales staff at both Silicon Valley Auto Group in Los Gatos and at British Motorcars (BMCD) in San Francisco.
I don't know anything about the service department at BMCD (yet), but I was pleased with my post-breakin service at SVAG.

EDIT: Just to clear up any confusion. SVAG has its sales office in Los Gatos, but its service garage in Campbell.
So go to Campbell for service, and to Los Gatos to scope out the Lambos and drool over the McLaren F1 (or buy the McLaren if you want a date with SFC VXN )

Last edited by Gizmo; 08-13-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 06:43 PM

You shouldn't be worried about conversayion ability. Purpose is to drive the car with a big smile on your face through corners

06 BMW Black X5 4.8is
91 M100 Silver Elan
05 Aubergine Purple, Sport Package
91 M100 Red Elan
93 Eclipse
and looking for an original 83 Starion
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:03 PM

I am in the bay area (live in Santa Cruz, commute to Palo Alto). Sometimes I drive the Exige, mostly I drive my MINI Cooper S.

SVAG is great. It's where I got my car. I asked for free first service and got it.

My GF wasn't feeling well the other day and I drove her over HWY 17 in 5th and 6th gear driving it like a.... well... Toyota, and it's not that bad at all if you shift at lower RPMS.

If you drive it really conservatively, it's pretty docile. A completely different car than if you're redlining and blasting around.

For what it's worth, I bought mine without ever even test driving one. I have no regrets. It's what I wanted. A street legal race car. If you've ever done a racing school in an open wheel formula car, it's kinda like that...

Sure I wish I had a supercharger, but when driving HWY 9, the extra horsepower would do me no good because I'm already sliding and exceeding the tires grip. It's an awesome car....

Went to the Santana row exotic car meet in San Jose last weekend, and got as many, if not more looks than the Lambos and Ferraris...

Just do it.
Cheers,
Skottoman

2006 AR N/A Exige-Touring pack-Starshield-TopspeedPro1 exhaust-DeSnorked-Green filter-RTD ToeBrace-Shims Removed-CF Diffuser-CF Splitter-CF Wing-CF Scoops w/custom grills-Black Exige sticker-PC680 battery-S111 battery holddown-Rear Lotus badge-Carpet buttons-Painted shift knob-Painted Console-EBrake Gaiter-SilverStealth bulbs-Front S111 towhook-Polk speakers-Toyo R888s-Lamin-x turn signal tint

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Angry

No, no, no. You are supposed to be convincing me not to buy one. Doggonnit, now I'm going to have to pick one up this weekend.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
No, no, no. You are supposed to be convincing me not to buy one. Doggonnit, now I'm going to have to pick one up this weekend.
Well, it sounds from your first post like you've done your due diligence on it, so you know the down sides very well, all of which are more than compensated for by the performance of the car.

If there's an Elise parking near you daily, have you tried worming a ride out of that person?

Tom
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Nah, haven't tried. I suppose I could leave a note, but it would probably be ignored. It's worth a shot though...
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottoman
A street legal race car. If you've ever done a racing school in an open wheel formula car, it's kinda like that...

Skottoman
It drives exactly like a street legal race car (don't own one yet, but I'm working on it)

Current Rides:
2016 BMW M2 Long Beach Blue 6 speed - delivery 5/6/16
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
2005 Acura NSX - Long Beach Blue
2011 BMW 1M - Valencia Orange
2001 BMW M Coupe (S54)
2015 GLA 45 AMG

Previous Cars:
2007 Lotus Exige S - Lazer Blue
2008 Porsche Cayman S
2008 M3 sedan Interlagos Blue (sold 10/11/13)
2002 Porsche 996 C4S
2003 BMW M3 (stolen 8/7/03)
2002 Corvette Z06

Follow Me on YouTube: Glenns Car Collection
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWT...iVSFmK7nz6Q5_w
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

I'm picking up my new Exige at SVAG in 24 hours and 23 min!

It's a CO (although it looks yellow in this picture, it's really orange) with LTD slip, touring and starshield
Attached Images

post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Damn, I'm not going to get any sleep tonight!
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 09:22 AM

Awesome man! Coolness.... You will not regret it.
Drove the Exige to work today... oh what fun.
Cheers!
Skottoman

2006 AR N/A Exige-Touring pack-Starshield-TopspeedPro1 exhaust-DeSnorked-Green filter-RTD ToeBrace-Shims Removed-CF Diffuser-CF Splitter-CF Wing-CF Scoops w/custom grills-Black Exige sticker-PC680 battery-S111 battery holddown-Rear Lotus badge-Carpet buttons-Painted shift knob-Painted Console-EBrake Gaiter-SilverStealth bulbs-Front S111 towhook-Polk speakers-Toyo R888s-Lamin-x turn signal tint
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Damn, I'm not going to get any sleep tonight!
Forget about getting sleep for a while. You will lay awake a night thinking about what it would be like to turbo (Forcedfed) or supercharge (Tripoint) the damn thing. You will also become very familiar with Sector 111's website. You will also logon to Elisetalk many times a day just to see if anyone has come up with any cool mods that you can obsess over.

'05 Lotus Elise -- Storm Titanium
'01 Audi S4 Avant -- Black
post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney
You will lay awake a night...
Check, got about 3 hours sleep last night

Quote:
You will also become very familiar with Sector 111's website.
Check, have already looked over every section and even placed my first over, before I even have the car!

Quote:
You will also logon to Elisetalk many times a day
Check, with the exception that I've been here basically all day
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 01:37 PM

Get the one that turns you on the most. This is a once in a lifetime decision...
post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 07:36 PM

You will not regret the Exige. Go everywhere in it. The store, the bar, the track. Hell, I even got the owners of a go cart track to let me drive it on the track.
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I don't see any reason to not drive it every day that I don't have to carry any more than my laptop to work and back.

You will once the AC packs up with ice and does nothing!

torque (trk) n. - an excuse for the lack of momentum.
- let's bring back CanAm & Group B!
- have you hugged your Exige today?
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by codymac
You will once the AC packs up with ice and does nothing!
Hasn't happened yet, although it hasn't been exactly hot since saturday, so I haven't had to use it all that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
You will not regret the Exige. Go everywhere in it. The store, the bar, the track. Hell, I even got the owners of a go cart track to let me drive it on the track.
From saturday until today, I hadn't driven anything else. Today I had to carry some stuff, so I took the Saab.

However, there is a stretch of highway that has seams every 20 feet which are brutal in the exige. (for people around SFbay, I'm talking about southbound 101 between palo alto and hwy 85) I hope they repave this soon, it's murder on me and the car.
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 09:26 PM
rnr

Quote:
However, there is a stretch of highway that has seams every 20 feet which are brutal in the exige. (for people around SFbay, I'm talking about southbound 101 between palo alto and hwy 85) I hope they repave this soon, it's murder on me and the car.
Try the third lane from the left - though it may be slower I feel that the comfort is worth it. The carpool lane isnt too bad either.

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
02 Dodge Viper GTS
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness
The age might have something to do with it, I'm 26, but on the other side of the coin, a friend of mind who is low 50's, wasn't allowed to *sit* in an elise at boardwalk auto center. Granted, he wasn't serious about buying one, just wanted to see what I was so excited about.

This isn't that uncommon around here. Another friend drove his new Evo only after he had handed them a check, but not put the final signatures on the line. I think it all depends on how many of the cars the dealer has. The Exige is a rare car, and when the dealer only has one or two, they can't let everyone who walks in drive them.

Anyway, yes, before I actually buy the car, I'm going to drive it. I don't drive = I don't buy.

Insist on a ride. I was able to test drive an Elise before buying mine. Let them know that you are a serious enthusiast and follower of the marque, and that you are deciding between the Elise, the Exige, and the Exige S, and I suspect that they will let you drive the Elise.
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness
I'm only $6k away from the Exige I want. I have a rule, if you have to spend 10% more to get what you really want, you should do it.
I like your rule.

You should be able to get into an Elise for the low $40Ks. $6K > 10%.

Stick with the Elise, you will not be disappointed.

'05 Lotus Elise
'07 Caterham Seven www.hals7.com
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Too late, I picked up a CO Exige with Starshield (of course), Touring and LTD Slip.

As for the 10% rule, the elise that I would want would have the Sport Package and Hardtop. This car is $47,870 (MSRP). An exige is basically the same as the above elise, with a different body, and runs $51,915, or $4,050 (8.5%) more.

Looking back on this, I'm 100% sure the downforce of an exige hasn't done me any good, and probably never will. I'm just not a good enough driver for it to matter. It would have been logical to save myself some money and gain rear visibility by getting an elise. But I'm not logical and I don't regret getting the Exige one little bit.

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/darknes...7594290477639/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in