4Likes
  • 2 Post By oldmansan
  • 1 Post By brgelise
  • 1 Post By jordanpryce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Evora vs. Elise recommendations

Hi everyone

New member here and long time reader, first time poster. I’ve been a huge fan of lotus for as long as I can remember and have always wanted a get my hands on an Exige S. The opportunity came up several years ago at a local dealership, but the car sold over a weekend I was on vacation so I missed the opportunity. However, recently I’ve been more serious about purchasing a lotus, so I was hoping to get a few recommendations on which model. Recently I’ve been considering the Evora over an Elise or Exige but I’m still a bit conflicted.

What I’m looking for:
Choice between
2011-2012 Evora
Or
2006-2008 Elise (or maybe exige)

-Not quite a daily driver, but to be driven fairly often: The Evora seems best here because I really love the interior and more comfort in the ride. Also not bad visibility. But reliability is definitely a must, this is a car I’d keep as long as I possibly can. It’s a dream car for me, so I’d buy it and ideally never let it go.

-Easy to work on: since I’d be buying this well out of warranty, I’d like to do as much of the maintenance as possible myself. From what I’ve read, the Elise and Exige are better here because of the engine access via the rear clamshell. Generally I’ve heard the Elise and exige are extremely easy to repair. Can anyone speak to how difficult it is to work on the Evora by comparison? It seems like maybe most engine work on the Evora happens from underneath the car, which doesn’t sound fun without a lift.

-I wouldn’t mod it too much: maybe new exhaust but really that’s it, I love the cars just the way they are. I might track the car very, very infrequently, if at all.

-Styling: generally, I like the exterior and smaller size of the Elise/exige but I really like the interior of the Evora.

Handling isn’t much of a concern because I feel like all three handle great. Performance also isn’t much of a concern because I’m more interested in the driving experience and feel more than anything. I’ve owned cars with powerful V8s and they’re fun, but they’re no Lotus.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:11 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-A View Post
Hi everyone

New member here and long time reader, first time poster. Iíve been a huge fan of lotus for as long as I can remember and have always wanted a get my hands on an Exige S. The opportunity came up several years ago at a local dealership, but the car sold over a weekend I was on vacation so I missed the opportunity. However, recently Iíve been more serious about purchasing a lotus, so I was hoping to get a few recommendations on which model. Recently Iíve been considering the Evora over an Elise or Exige but Iím still a bit conflicted.

What Iím looking for:
Choice between
2011-2012 Evora
Or
2006-2008 Elise (or maybe exige)

-Not quite a daily driver, but to be driven fairly often: The Evora seems best here because I really love the interior and more comfort in the ride. Also not bad visibility. But reliability is definitely a must, this is a car Iíd keep as long as I possibly can. Itís a dream car for me, so Iíd buy it and ideally never let it go.

-Easy to work on: since Iíd be buying this well out of warranty, Iíd like to do as much of the maintenance as possible myself. From what Iíve read, the Elise and Exige are better here because of the engine access via the rear clamshell. Generally Iíve heard the Elise and exige are extremely easy to repair. Can anyone speak to how difficult it is to work on the Evora by comparison? It seems like maybe most engine work on the Evora happens from underneath the car, which doesnít sound fun without a lift.

-I wouldnít mod it too much: maybe new exhaust but really thatís it, I love the cars just the way they are. I might track the car very, very infrequently, if at all.

-Styling: generally, I like the exterior and smaller size of the Elise/exige but I really like the interior of the Evora.

Handling isnít much of a concern because I feel like all three handle great. Performance also isnít much of a concern because Iím more interested in the driving experience and feel more than anything. Iíve owned cars with powerful V8s and theyíre fun, but theyíre no Lotus.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!
There really isn't any comparison, especially as you aren't concerned with handling or performance. Drive both and buy which you like.

San
XHILR8N! and forkmeupscotty like this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Hi San,

Thanks for the reply.

I have definitely driven them and I tend to like the Evora a bit better, but I’m concerned with its reliability and easiness to repair myself primarily. I’ve even gone though the repair sections of this forum for both and generally the Elise and Exige seem much less of a pain.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:40 AM

Very few repairability issues with either vehicle as both are Toyota powerplants. I had an Elise for 9 years and have had Evoras for going on 9 years.
Crazy05 likes this.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:21 PM

It seems to me the one thing holding you back is the maintenance/repair on both models. If you prefer the Evora over the Elige, I would just choose the Evora. It isn't that much harder IMO to work on the Evora than the Elige. I'm sure if you end up loving the car that much more, you will figure out how to do the work on the Evora. Worst case, you just take it to a shop to do it for you. Both models are not easy but also not so hard. Just requires time and patience. For me, even if the Evora was that much harder to work on, I wouldn't let that be the reason to not get it if it's the one I preferred. Although, if financially it matters cause you couldn't afford to take the Evora to a shop to perform the job is another story. Good luck with what you decide.

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:38 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Very few repairability issues with either vehicle as both are Toyota powerplants. I had an Elise for 9 years and have had Evoras for going on 9 years.
I think not.

The more elaborate Evora seems to have more stuff going wrong vs. the simpler Elise.

There a simply more things to fail on Evoras.

So, some of this might depend on how handy one is. If not very and it's long drive for service, Elise would be better.

For me, I love 2 seat droptop. Had Elan, 7 too.

Feel is different: Want more of a GT feel, it's the Evora.

More of a toss able sports car, Elise. (But neither are bad in either scenario.)

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:41 AM
Flower Power

Forgive my terseness, but if you don't know which one you want, you shouldn't buy either. Get a Boxster or Cayman. They split the two quite well.
Crazy05 likes this.

Jordan
Long Beach NY

2006 Krypton Exige Track Pack, LSD, Touring, carbon bits, soft top mod

Gone:2005 Lotus Elise, 93 RS America, 75 Carrera, 00 M Coupe, 11 C4 GTS, 71 914-6, 65 356C, 13 Boxster, 98 BMW M3 E36 among others
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
I think not.

The more elaborate Evora seems to have more stuff going wrong vs. the simpler Elise.

There a simply more things to fail on Evoras.

So, some of this might depend on how handy one is. If not very and it's long drive for service, Elise would be better.

For me, I love 2 seat droptop. Had Elan, 7 too.

Feel is different: Want more of a GT feel, it's the Evora.

More of a toss able sports car, Elise. (But neither are bad in either scenario.)
CAM WIPE seems to be a bigger issue than anything on an Evora WADR.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 06:35 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
CAM WIPE seems to be a bigger issue than anything on an Evora WADR.
Good point, but not that many cars suffered this. I have about 80k and never engaged cam change until 25 or so minutes after coolant was at full temp.

So, easily avoidable, and is part of the instructions I send to new Elise/Exige owners.

I now have both oil coolers disconnected. Warms up much faster and I stopped doing track days a decade ago. I'm old.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in