Hennessy update venom GT - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 05:06 PM

Would rather have a Ford GT90 for $1 Million. Beautifull car that was never made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
Actually no, I don't think I'm missing the point.

To me, this is not a MILLION DOLLAR CAR - most obvious case in point - the Veyron. It's marketed/thought of as the ultimate dream car. The ultimate status symbol. The car the players and shakers must have in their stable. You could put the Pagani and Koenissegg in there as well perhaps. Also, the Enzo.

This is basically a kit car. It has no pedigree. It's from a company that takes other stock cars and customizes them. It doesn't warrant the $1m price tag. All of the other (albeit limited) cars in that range are engineered from ground up. This takes a stock car (ball at the 50) and moves it downfield.

Yes, the people who can 'afford' $1M can afford it, but I'm sure they DO care about depreciation. Many are collectors. These collections are investments - like art or furnishings. Knowing that a car appreciates in value is important to smart business people.

So, yes, I get that they people who buy them WANT IT - but I think that can be said about an Enzo or a Veyron, NOT a fancy 'kit car' built in Texas based on a $70K starting car.
I'm not arguing whether it's a million dollar car or not. I personally don't like it at all and think they bastardized the Lotus to produce Frankenstein.

However your points are totally off. Cars are arguably one of the worst investments you can make. I'll use your Veyron as an example. If you buy one new you are paying over 1.6 million. Do you think you can get that if you sell it? You also lose in maintenance. New tires for a Veyron are 30k, services generally runs around 20k. Cars (unless extremely rare and/or old) are depreciating assets.

2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (imminent!)
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2013 VW Golf R

Past
2015 Porsche 911 GT3, 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S, 2009 Ferrari Scuderia, 2011 Aston Martin Vantage S, 2008 Aston Martin Vantage Roadster, 2006 Noble M400, 2006 Lotus Elise
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 11:06 AM

I would also have to say that it is a 0 percent chance that I would buy this car even if I was a billionaire. It is probably the worst million dollar car ever. I see no way to start with a rattly British car that was badly put together and make a million dollar car out of it. The interior is still a dress up lotus lol. Everything is just wrong. A million dollar car has to be built from the ground up. Can anyone seriously compare the ins and outs of this thing to that of a Koenigsegg?

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyhoffa View Post
However your points are totally off. Cars are arguably one of the worst investments you can make. I'll use your Veyron as an example. If you buy one new you are paying over 1.6 million. Do you think you can get that if you sell it? You also lose in maintenance. New tires for a Veyron are 30k, services generally runs around 20k. Cars (unless extremely rare and/or old) are depreciating assets.
Agreed. People who buy Supercars and million-dollar cars are not always collectors or looking for good investments. Larry Ellison has a Veyron as his daily driver and he certainly doesn't care about its depreciation. I know another local guy here who has several Lamborghinis (Murcielago and 2 Gallardos) as well as several Ferraris, Porsches, and other exotics, and he's not concerned about their depreciation either. He tracks them. One of the biggest collectors, Jay Leno, has dozens of cars that are not investments, from Miatas to C5 Corvettes. I doubt he thinks of his Countach or Diablo as a sound investment either. You can pick up those for less than the price of an Evora S.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Swizz Beats

With the new upcoming funky fresh Lotus image, a million dollah lotus is gonna be the base model. Word.
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyhoffa View Post
Do you think you can get that if you sell it? You also lose in maintenance. New tires for a Veyron are 30k, services generally runs around 20k. Cars (unless extremely rare and/or old) are depreciating assets.

One of the car mags stated you can buy a Audi S4 for the price of the Veyron's first service....... $60,000 +
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:20 AM

More on this.

I'm presently at Monterey Week sitting in my room at the Portola Inn. The RM auctions are going on right below me and right there as you enter inn, the Hennessey Venom GT is there with a bunch of Hennessy reps (including John Hennessy who many say is a crook).

Random musings:

- As soon as I walked in to look at it last night, I met Michael Anthony - Van Halen bass player. Super nice guy - took a bunch of pics. And yes, like every famous person, he's 5 feet tall.

- The car? Sorry people, it's a damn Elise. No getting around that. My wife came down about 10 min later and says 'oh look, it's your car' A million dollar 'hypercar' being mistaken for a $30K car. Yep, that's what you want.

- They said they are making 12 of them. Stats on the window show $940K price. 0-60 in 2.3. 0-200 in 15 (claims Veyron is 0-100 in 24).

- The interior looks like Lotus Trim Shop - certainly nice, but this thing is bone stock Exige interior just with some alcantara and fancy stitching. The only difference is a Momo on a quick release hub.

- The carbon splitter and skirts are very cool - in that they'd look awesome on our $30K Elises. Expect more on a $1M car!

- I was at Concorso Italiano earlier in the day and saw some stuff that, while it may not have the same performance numbers, is more original - specifically, the Kepler Motion - VERY COOL. The yellow Vector that Barrett Jackson is auctioning (the widest car I've ever seen) and even the new LP700 Aventador. Every one of these cars are designed from scratch. Sorry, but taking an Elise and pimping it out for a $1M is CHEATING.

On the side, was able to meet and shake hands/photos with Stephan Winkleman - CEO of Lambo - super nice guy. I wonder if Dany would have been so accomodating. Dude must have taken 400 pictures with people. Him and Barry Meguiar (Meguiars/Car Crazy) - by far, nicest guys there.

Here are some pics of the million dollar Elise.
Attached Images

post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:25 AM

BTW - here's the Kepler Motion.

Stock web photo . I have about 50 pics of it on my wife's fancy camera.

This thing was GORGEOUS. Super nice guys too. From Costa Mesa. All carbon. 800HP and a hybrid!

The one they had here in Monterey was blue. Pure sex.

This is ground up engineering (from a body design standpoint), not cheating with an Elise.

post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 05:30 AM

Wow the Kepler is a great looking car! This is the first time I heard of it

2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (imminent!)
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2013 VW Golf R

Past
2015 Porsche 911 GT3, 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S, 2009 Ferrari Scuderia, 2011 Aston Martin Vantage S, 2008 Aston Martin Vantage Roadster, 2006 Noble M400, 2006 Lotus Elise
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 07:12 AM

Side note - actually met Dany at pebble beach yesterday by the GTE concept. Lotsa pics and stuff. Will upload later
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGeek View Post
I love how the license plate is just tacked on to the back. It's like it never occurred to them while designing it, that somebody might want to have a plate on it.
You really think that if you bought this that you would care if it had a plate? lol I want to win the lotto and send my kg exige to them and then just do 0-200 up and down the highway until i get pulled over and give the cop the keys and say im done with it lol
post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 09:38 PM

post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 AM

I think the designer of that car couldn't afford photoshop and just stretched an elise picture with microsoft paint.

Sport Elise #30
BMW Z4 sdrive35i
post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 09:29 AM

I dont think there is a whole lot of lotus left in that car. I think hennesy took a reasonable engineering aproach by reusing things like the dash, AC, Headlights, seats etc. I dont know why they didnt work harder on the styling since they were redoing all the bodywork anyways.

I remeber in the lenno interview john was very frank about "based on an exige", which is a bit refreshing compared to say tesla which still has alot of the lotus intact.

Anyways, the car is interesting, ugly, and way overpriced. It does apear to be relatively well engineered as far as I can tll though. How do you think The HVac system will be able to deal with 1200hp of engine coolant running through the doors ?

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 AM

That car is all about raw performance, Its a great showcase for the fact that the standard Elise/Exige VVA chassis structure can be made to withstand 1,200 bhp.

From what I remember, Hennesey didnt engineer the car themselves, it was done by a little outfit in an industrial unit at the Silverstone Circuit in England.

Think they are called Advanced Motorsport Engineering or something like that.
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 AM
glb

Hennessey Venom GT hits 230 mph in less than 20 seconds

The power junkies over at Hennessey have uploaded a YouTube video of the company's Venom GT hypercar. The Lotus-based GT sprints from 0-to-228 mph in 19.96 seconds, or the time it takes to update your Facebook status.

Behind the driver of the Venom GT is a Corvette ZR1-sourced LS9 V8. It makes 1,244 horsepower in this application, all of which is fed to the rear wheels. In the video a “traction control” banner comes up when the car hits second gear.

For reference, the Venom GT hits 124 mph in 7.96 seconds, and 186 mph—the top speed of an AMG Mercedes—in 13.48 seconds.

Check out www.hennesssey.com for more info on the Venom GT.

Read more: Hennessey Venom GT hits 230 mph in less than 20 seconds - Autoweek

Hennessey Venom GT hits 230 mph in less than 20 seconds - Autoweek

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 AM

Uh oh! For an extra $150k we'll show you how to take the top off! I think im going to get an Exige top and list it on Ebay for $150k and call it a Venom GT removable top, and see if I can get one of the "non-spyder" owners to buy it
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 AM

I really dont get the lotus owning venom haters. Heres a guy that made the elige platform do 230 muther f*cking miles per hour. Who cares if he had to ripoff a few hundred viper owners to do it.
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM

That car is the most redneck thing I"ve ever seen.

It's like taking truffles and putting BBQ sauce on them!

Sport Elise #30
BMW Z4 sdrive35i
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymaples806 View Post
Uh oh! For an extra $150k we'll show you how to take the top off! I think im going to get an Exige top and list it on Ebay for $150k and call it a Venom GT removable top, and see if I can get one of the "non-spyder" owners to buy it
You are a brilliant businessman.

In the early 70's, a friend was selling an unusual, rare, but not classic, BMW.

In those days, the Sunday NYT was where everyone put their ads for interesting cars.

I suggested that I place an ad for a similar car, but with higher mileage, worse condition and higher price.

When anyone called me, I'd say it sold for my high asking price.

"Look, you can control the market for this car for a week and it's only $60!"

He wouldn't do it, but I was sure it'd work.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in