Info on Fair Price for 2008 Elise - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

As a general rule I never buy a used car. I had used cars for years and there is always something that lingers as an issue. Alternator here, brakes there, leaking cylinders here, etc.

I always want a new car (or as new as possible).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic_Cannon View Post
As a general rule I never buy a used car. I had used cars for years and there is always something that lingers as an issue. Alternator here, brakes there, leaking cylinders here, etc.

I always want a new car (or as new as possible).
Thank God for people like you! Without you there would be no car dealers, AND there would be no good, low mileage, well cared for, and lightly used cars to buy after someone else takes the depreciation hit!!!!

Actually, I understand what you mean...but you'll be thankful that others don't see it the same way when you go to sell the car you bought new!
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Modern Day Hippie

Well I know a member on here sold his black 08 SC last year with only 1,200 miles at a dealer for around $43k. This was at least 6 months ago. Given this car has more miles and time has passed I'd say less than that.

You become who you surround yourself with - Sorinne Ardeleanu

Please don't message me here, my inbox is over capacity. If you'd like to connect with me please send me an email to sprvxn @ gmail . com . Thank you.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic_Cannon View Post
Well I was mistaken, it has about 2800 miles on it.... I got mixed up in another test drive of a car earlier in the day.

But still this car is a demo and has been for some time. The dealer told me it comes with full warranty but I am weary since the demo will have been thrown around the area on test drives over and over.

It is the only red one in the area that is new (newish)
When a dealer reports a vehicle as demo in the system, Lotus Cars USA automatically gives the car an extended 3 months warranty from time of register. There are provisions with putting a vehicle in demo status as it needs to be in demo status for a minimum of 3 months or 1500 miles whichever comes first where then Lotus gives dealer "X" percentage back of invoice. A dealer cannot sell it's demo before that time/mileage frame and if it does, Lotus will ask for their money back. If the vehicle has full warranty, it can only do so because it's within the 3 months time but has exceeded the mileage however from what you're saying, the dealer has had this vehicle in demo status for longer than 3 months which means it does not have full warranty. Either the dealer is mistaken or it could be that they call it a demo but never registered it as a demo hence why they are asking so much (no incentive from Lotus).

There are many ways to trick a manufacturer however, my guess is Lotus has caught on to some of these ways since they haven't been selling many cars for the last 2+ years but have been paying out big bucks to dealers. Bottom line, make the dealer call Lotus headquarters or their field engineer representative for an accurate assesment on warranty.

Oh, and as lotusforsale stated, a demo is nothing to be scared of...it's the same as someone selling you their "low mileage" car.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Toys Performance

Price and inspection

If the price is right and car is in great shape, it's no different than buying any other used car. You might want to take the car to an independent Lotus Dealership for an inspection if you really want piece of mind. Other than that, find the inservice date for the warranty and you should be good. If the car was truly beaten, there will be signs of wear and tear that should come out on any inspection.

You can also request them to do an ECU dump and then judge for yourself.

If the rear tires are still at 85 % and the clutch isn't slipping, I would doubt it had too much abuse. It doesn't take long to run down high ends tires like those that come on a Lotus if you are driving like an idiot.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Toys View Post
It doesn't take long to run down high ends tires like those that come on a Lotus if you are driving like an idiot.
Actually, the car the other person is looking at is an Elise SC with the base tires so even an idiot couldn't wear them down that fast at 2800 miles.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 04:21 AM

Pull the trigger yet?

Ardent red is a great color. I almost got it (and I usually don't care for red). But it is a "free" color so bear that in mind. I believe yellow is the only other free color.

2800 miles? Don't even consider paying $50k. Too many used SCs out there with lower mileage that are better specced as well.

I understand how you feel about new/used. But get on line and look around. Some great cars are out there. I just got a '08 SC specced with EVERY option available (except sport which I didn't want) in graphite gray ($1200) with 1039 miles. $42,800

The MSRP was $64k but it was "used".

Good luck and let us know what you do.

BTW.....get the SC!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in