Lotus strategy - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Lotus strategy

I'm a bit curious about a few things Lotus has been up to lately, so I thought I'd engage in some rampant speculation and see if others have any speculation of their own.

I'm trying to figure out why Lotus put out 5 concepts and didn't even mention the expected Evora S, convertible, or new motor for Exige. I have a guess on the latter:

Regarding the Exige/Elise, an announcement about a new motor will dump the price on the current dealer stock. That's bad for selling existing Lotuses.

However, this big announcement about the replacement Elise should push a few people who like the old Elise/Exige to bite the bullet and buy one before they're gone. That's good for selling existing Lotuses.

Thus, they announce the new car, but give people time to buy up as many of the current gen cars as possible. Then they will announce the decision on the motor replacement for the last three years of Elise/Exige to much fanfare, sparking a new upgrade frenzy (or a relative frenzy anyway - these cars aren't exactly flying off the shelves).

Does that make sense to anyone else? Do you have any other ideas about what Lotus are up to these days? Do you think they are actually going to get all those concepts out in five years? What are they doing but not saying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

By way of introduction, I have been lurking awhile, track a 370Z about 6 times a year, am a once-proud owner of an AW11 MR2, and am looking to buy an Exige or Caterham CSR in the next 6-12 months. Right now, the MWR V6 conversion on an Exige is sounding pretty damned good.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:15 PM

imag, you're not the first I've heard of this theory from.

I'm not convinced that the big show-off was for the reason of selling off current stock.. While I think it's certainly one outcome, the reality is that they had no choice but to move forward or be sold off to another company. Proton wasn't gonna just let Lotus continue its unprofitable business model. They intend to follow through with their "investment" in Lotus. Do something drastic. Something to re-ignite the Lotus brand and connect the brand to something people with money want--luxury.. What better way than to build and unveil a whole new line. Let's just hope they'll be able to follow through with actual production models that look as luxurious and perform as well as their competitors. The rest of the sports car purists will just have to hope and pray Lotus will get back to building something more affordable--and basic. (Good luck with that.)

Last edited by squidward; 10-19-2010 at 02:28 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 05:11 PM

Agreed^

The only reason Lotus is "affordable" is because used prices are like 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a new Lotus. Why? Because most people do not like driving the Lotus, so they sell it.

Supply and demand.

Saying you are hurt because you can't afford a Lotus is very obnoxious. I had girlfriends who would do stuff like that-- cause me hassle and pain so they could enjoy themselves.

Reduce Weight // Improve Reliability http://www.ChimeraBatteries.com

2007 Lotus Exige S // 2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia 16M // 2012 Chrysler 300C
2005 Maserati Gransport SOLD // 2006 Chrysler 300C R.I.P.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 01:11 PM

Lotus: the future

Lotus: the future - Telegraph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in