"new"-ish 2009 Purist in South Carolina - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

"new"-ish 2009 Purist in South Carolina

There is a white 2009 Purist Elise at Land Rover Greenville. It has 500 miles and I don't think it has ever been sold, but it was registered a month ago and has 35 months remaining on the warranty.

Used 2009 Lotus Elise Purist For Sale | Greenville SC

Has anyone seen, driven, considered purchasing, or made an offer on this car?

What I've learned from e-mailing the dealer is that they think their asking price of $39,999 is low and that they are not willing to sell it for $35,000. I brought this sale

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f221...n-owner-92443/

to thier attention, and they say the low trade in value of the 370Z is what made that price possible. It seems that the 370 was traded at full trade-in value in excellent condition, so I'm not sure how much impact that had on the Elise's price.

I have been looking for used 2006 and up in the $25-30 range, but a "new" 2009 at $35,000 would be a worthwhile stretch for me.

What are your opinions on this car? How much does it cost a dealer to keep a car so long? What price would you expect them to accept?

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:11 PM

my 370z trade-in had no bearing on the elise's price. I did the deal first without the trade because i was going to sell the 370z to a private party first.

my z was a base model which i picked up for $28k out the door.

Galpin lost a ton of money on the car, they showed me their actual dealer invoice.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM

An '09 Purist at $40K is overpriced, IMHO.

Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Dan, 2010 Exige S240

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Can you give quick review of your car? How is the air conditinoing? Do you have squeaks and rattles? How stiff is the ride? Is it so loud that you want to wear ear plugs on long drives and do you miss the touring pack sound insulation? Do you think the build quality of the 09 is significantly better than 05 and 06 Elises?

Thanks

Jason
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
An '09 Purist at $40K is overpriced, IMHO.
i don't think so. only thing the purist is missing is half the touring package. the car still comes with leather door panels, leather probax seats, A/C, power windows, etc.

msrp is just over 46k. just because I got lucky and scored a good price, doesn't mean they are all inexpensive. from what i recall, the dealer invoice on the purist was 39,7k.

regular touring package elise's selling for $52k? Now that's overpriced.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingjason View Post
Thanks for the info. Can you give quick review of your car? How is the air conditinoing? Do you have squeaks and rattles? How stiff is the ride? Is it so loud that you want to wear ear plugs on long drives and do you miss the touring pack sound insulation? Do you think the build quality of the 09 is significantly better than 05 and 06 Elises?

Thanks

Jason
I rode in friend's cars with the touring package, which has extra sound insulation. I honestly couldn't tell much difference.

mediocre A/C, rattles, squeaks, all still there compared to the 05 and 06. lol

however, the newer finish on the plastic panels and the new cluster on the 09's are awesome!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:34 PM

Dan I agree with you 100%. Car is 2 model years old. Plus who knows if the 500 miles were "test drive" miles or not. For 40K you can get a MUCh nicer car than a purist edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingjason View Post

Thanks

Jason
You don't need to wear ear plugs on long drives. 06 and 09 Elise build quality is the same, in my experience. The 09 cluster is better than the 06 for sure.

2007 Chili Red Elise
2009 Chrome Orange Exige S260
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

mattjk,

Could you imagine yourself driving it from SC to CA, or would you pay to have it shipped?

Jason
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:28 PM

At 7% the SC dealer probably forked out $3-4000 already. That particular car made it to the lot sometime in July as I recall. I wouldn't be too concerned about the 500 miles on the clock. I would make sure that you get the 35 months of warranty time confirmed on paper --- that's a biggie for me. At $39k and change this dealer isn't making anything. I'd pay the price. I wouldn't ask the dealer to take any more of a hit -- but that's me. I want these dealers to be around. Plus there's something to be said about owning a new car vs used -- I happen to value that
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
At 7% the SC dealer probably forked out $3-4000 already. That particular car made it to the lot sometime in July as I recall. I wouldn't be too concerned about the 500 miles on the clock. I would make sure that you get the 35 months of warranty time confirmed on paper --- that's a biggie for me. At $39k and change this dealer isn't making anything. I'd pay the price. I wouldn't ask the dealer to take any more of a hit -- but that's me. I want these dealers to be around. Plus there's something to be said about owning a new car vs used -- I happen to value that
Are they a current Lotus dealer without Lotus in their name, a former Lotus dealer, or a Land Rover dealer with lots of Lotus cars on the lot? Even at $35,000, this would be an extremely inconvienient cross-country purchase for me, above my price range, but I think I could do it.

At some point, it seems that the dealer will have to decide to cut their losses and take the best offer on what is one of the least desireable, lowest optioned Elises made.

Jason
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:22 PM

This is the one UR talking about right? (go to bottom of list): Lotus Greenville - Ads - New Lotus Cars

There's truth in what your saying about cutting losses ... although Evoras come to mind not Elises. Elises should usually command good coin. I've been in one of the Purists and really don't notice the lack of options. You probably won't miss what's not there.

I don't know if you've seen this car in person, but remember it's Monacco White (non-metallic) not the metallic Aspen White. It may make a difference to you
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:59 AM

I have the exact same car (and same as Mattjk). Buy it and you will love it. I believe Roger Becker himself said a Lotus looks best in white (?). I wouldn't go nuts about paying too much; while I would certainly try to get the very best deal, let's assume you overpay by $1500. You own the car 4 years, and drive it 20,000 miles. So, it cost you less than $1 per day in overpayments, or $.075/mile.

I always buy new (uh oh, here come the comments) because I like to be able to pick up the phone and say to my dealer: You have a problem, as opposed to: I have a problem, so if you can confirm the remaining warranty, I think it's worth it.

Most larger dealers - I don't mean those who only sell Lotus - have mllions of dollars of inventory, and if they are reasonably successful, they can wait a very long time before being "forced" to sell, and while you are waiting, someone else will come along and give them what they want, or at least more than you will.

Last edited by Dylan; 05-18-2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: added additional comment
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:17 AM

That looks like a good deal to me. The only thing the Purist is missing is basically some of sound deadening from the touring package. I have almost the same car and love it.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:23 AM
JWA

To my mind the Purist Edition is the best setup available since the '05s which had the nicer cloth seats if you didn't get Touring. I would pay up for one. With that said, looking at the current market I think that just under $40K is the right price for that car.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
I have the exact same car (and same as Mattjk). Buy it and you will love it. I believe Roger Becker himself said a Lotus looks best in white (?). I wouldn't go nuts about paying too much; while I would certainly try to get the very best deal, let's assume you overpay by $1500. You own the car 4 years, and drive it 20,000 miles. So, it cost you less than $1 per day in overpayments, or $.075/mile.
$35,000 is already $5,000-$10,000 more than I was planning on paying for an Elise. I can't justify going over that.

Jason
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:28 AM

Jason

If you get it, you can be added to more miata.netters that have an Elise

2007 Chili Red Elise
2009 Chrome Orange Exige S260
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:37 AM

So if you only planned to spend no more than $30K for an Elise, why are you obsessing over this one? No dealer will sell you a new car invoiced at $39K for $30K, not now not ever.

FWIW, the new instrument cluster, while nice looking, was a nightmare, at least the first batch that was made. Different supplier, lots of replacements. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Purist, which was a cynical marketing ploy, got some of the original parts.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 AM

I can almost guarantee that the dealer has a wholesaler who will give them $35K+ for it, so I would seriously doubt they would let it go to a customer for that price. Maybe if you're really lucky and they're really looking to get rid of it they might let it go for $37,500. That being said, if you do decide to buy it, I'll drive it right to your front door for free. I drove my Exige from Long Island, NY to Seattle, WA in 3 days and it was amazing!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:20 AM

I thought I should chime in on this discussion with highest praises to those wanting their Lotus dealers to make an honest profit.

Every deal stands on its own and is therefore different in every aspect. We all know the margins we have to deal with when it comes to new Lotus cars so you have to try to explore different avenues to make the deal work. For all we know the owners kid is driving the 370Z on the books for $40,000 and writing down the loss at $2500/mo. until the car can be retailed for a profit or break even. All in all, it sounds like they "loaded up" in the trade. This is in NO WAY a wrong way to do business and I mean NO DISRESPECT to the Lotus dealer that retailed this Purist.

Also, if you don't think the Purist isn't a value at $39,999 don't buy it. There are quite a few nice, previously enjoyed Elise's and Exiges out there.

One more thing. I am a small Lotus dealer in the southeast and the reasoning behind seeing "Used" for my listings is because I use our parent company, Land Rover Greenville's website for some of my advertising.

Last edited by LotusGreenville,SC; 05-18-2011 at 09:27 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:55 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in