Newbie intro/Looking to buy an Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Newbie intro/Looking to buy an Elise

Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member and ask a few newbie questions.
I've been lusting after the Elise ever since it came out in England, and this weekend I think I've made up my mind to get one. I was on vacation in the CA central coast with my gf and we just happened to run into a swarm of Elises in the Hearst Castle parking lot. Apparently, it was a Lotus club event. My girlfriend said it must be a sign because I've been telling her how much I love those cars a couple of days earlier.

I'm currently driving an modestly modfied (mostly suspension mods) '01 Mustang Cobra 'vert. While I love the power and the sound of the DOHC V8, I'm growing tired of the outdated chassis and the cluncky driveline. The new job I'll be starting next week will be 2 miles from my house, and I'll be biking to work. So any car I own will be garaged most of the time and be used only for entertainment/running errands. I'm looking for either a Graphite or silver car with sport pack.... all other options I dont really care either way.

I've just started to read though the forum posts, so just ignore me if any of my questions have been already been answered repeatedly.

1. I'm in the San Jose area, how good are the dealerships/service department here? I understand there are 3 nearby: (Boardwalk in RWC, Los Gatos, and SF)

2. Will I get a better deal if I buy the car in SoCal and drive it back up. (PCH baby!)

3.what are new Elises going for these days? MSRP?

4. I'm open to buying a used Elise, provided that its been broken in properly and well taken care of. Any advice on what to look for in a used Elise?

5. I noticed that there are forum members in CA with Turbo Kits, are they Smog legal?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 06:50 AM

1. The consensus is that the Boardwalk sales department sucks. Los Gatos is an excellent dealership; that's where I bought my Exige. Most people have also been happy with San Francisco. You should also consider Lotus of Sacramento; it is associated with Jaguar of Sacramento.
2. There are several great dealers in SoCal also. Shop around for what you want and price.
3. You should be able to get a 2006 for a little below MSRP.
4. Get a copy of the ECU download. Do a search on elise talk for more details.
5. No turbo or supercharging kits are CARB approved for use in CA.
Good luck. It will be nice to see another Elise in the Bay Area.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 07:02 AM

For what it's worth, I'd be willing to bet that the used Elises for sale floating around out there have been much better cared-for than your average used car...past checking out the obvious ECU dump, Carfax, paint, and rear toe linkage, I think everything else that could go wrong on a used car would be taken care of by recalls and/or common sense.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 11:02 AM

serpentor,
I strongly suggest you test drive one first, coming from a v8 stang, is a big change, you may not like the power delivery of the elise. Test drive would confirm your decision for you I think.

Chris

Chris
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 11:28 AM

Thing is once you drive one...you will love it and buy it and love it somemore

Driving the lotus..you will never feel..

just.... .....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 11:53 AM

I'd agree with going for a test drive first, as that's the only way you'll know for sure

...and knowing's half the battle! (sorry, couldn't resist!)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advice!

Yeah, I would definitely test drive one before I drop down 40+K cash for a car :-). I have driven an S2000, Z3 2.8 and a base Boxster, so I have some experience with smaller engined, smaller roadsters (thats what got me thinking about the Lotus, actually)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in