Is it okay to hate the New Elise? Set me straight. - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Its called progress. The market was/is saturated for a 15yr old design. Be realistic, it has had a great run. Best selling car in Lotus history. Plenty out there for those that want one.

As an owner, even I felt no need to trade in and replace my 2005 with the same thing. Many of us feel the same.
exactly - i even feel no need to get an exige... the entire line is way too similar. i have been saying this since 2006. and the "new" s3 elise should have been out for 2008 if they expected any sales to keep up. no new car, sales drop.. its not rocket science there.

the v6 exige is the same way - why (if it was even a us option) would i pay to get my same car, that has only 3 things addd, a more ugly front and rear end, a v6, and a lot of weight?

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 09:03 AM

Anyone here that says that the 1.6 liter engine is a good idea needs to go buy a volvo, and get the hell out of the lotus world. The last thing lotus needs is less power.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post
Anyone here that says that the 1.6 liter engine is a good idea needs to go buy a volvo, and get the hell out of the lotus world. The last thing lotus needs is less power.
Anyone who thinks power makes you drive better needs to go buy a Lotus Elite, and get the hell out of the thinking-box. The last thing the world needs is more idiots.

2005 Saffron Yellow Elise (Sold)

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:09 PM

hasn't the elise always been sold with a 1.3 or 1.5 liter motor in the uk as the base elise?... as in it's no real news there?

I recall hearing that s1 owners screamed when they heard the s2 gained 400lbs+ and power brakes... in other words, we're driving that ugly pig.

I wish my car had cruise control and i'd probably pay someone $500-$750 for it to be installed on my car. I do 3 hour drives in mine... it's got 65k miles on it...

I think back up sensors are useless becuase they always go into full alert before you need them to... and you can see the rear lip very well.

2006 Aspen White Elise. LSS, LSD, Traction control, LS Toe Link Brace, LS Ohlins DA, Rota 15/16's, BOE surge tanks and Sector 111 Gpan2, Red leather, JL speakers all around with Acapulco MP54, CF dash top, gas shock opening rear deck, multi-vex mirros and replaced rear-view mirror with kit off this forum.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 12:26 AM

Haha, I thought I was alone to hate it! i totally agree with somebody in this thread about s2 - it looks more attractive than 1.6...
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 09:40 AM

I am a very new member to this whole thing and am still finding an elise for myself. I agree with the original post though, new elise is awful and they are going backwards with the new styling.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:11 AM

Didn't we go over this a year ago? LOL

wahhhhhh wahhhh....seriously guys it's not even in production... You should all be lucky if Lotus even continues making sports cars for the US after it's been liquidated to the Chinese...
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 12:57 PM

I don't hate the new Elise. I hate what is happening to all new cars. Larger, heavier and more and more computer interaction. The Elise is one of the few cars that held on as long as possible without adding all the technology bullcrap. Like it or not, the era of true drivers cars is coming to an end. Unless you trade in your 401K for an exotic from Italy.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:50 PM

Garage
The same could have been said 15 years ago before the Elise came into being, and yet we still got the Elise. I think there will always be a longing to create such cars. They just may not always be being made by relatively large companies.

2009 Gray and Carbon Audi R8 4.2 MT Stasis Challenge Extreme
2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:34 PM

Wow, so much hate over a mild redesign of the headlights. Otherwise it's identical.

This happens on every forum I've ever been on. When the new Jeep Wrangler came out, when the new S4 came out, every said the same things. Then, magically, a few years later everyone had the new ones. Funny.
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litfuse View Post
I don't hate the new Elise. I hate what is happening to all new cars. Larger, heavier and more and more computer interaction. The Elise is one of the few cars that held on as long as possible without adding all the technology bullcrap. Like it or not, the era of true drivers cars is coming to an end. Unless you trade in your 401K for an exotic from Italy.
BINGO!!!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:47 AM

The 1.6l entry level Elise sounds like the perfect candidate for a Honda engine swap!

Then again I thought it wasn't even coming to the states. Didn't some safety exemptions ultimately stop it?

440bhp E85 2006 Solar Yellow Elise.
The way it should have been delivered from the factory with Honda Power!
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:20 AM

Lotus is done..they've been sold to the lowest bidder. These new era cars aren't gonna happen. That's my gut feeling, anyway.... It's parts bin from here on...
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:12 AM

Yes, I hate it, but the main reason is:
When a company (finally) updates a body style, the older body style takes a hit on re-sale value. It no longer looks exactly like the newer, higher priced car on the show-room floor. Until the body style is update, you can say "my car is like new, and looks exactly like what you would pay 74k for at the dealership new".

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 04:20 PM

If this thread is referring to the latest "facelifted" Elise, I prefer the prior shape headlights which gave it a more unique and aggressive look:

The revised front end looks a little less dangerous, but I still think it is an attractive rework.

I think they have done it simply to match it more to the Evora::

If this is about the Elise that is part of the five model concept range from 2013 onwards, then I agree I'm a little baffled why they felt the Elise needed to "grow up" and be more "mature":

I thought that that was the whole point of the mid-range Elan, which has now been intentionally delayed due to obvious conflict with the Evora.

I think the Elise model should remain an affordable, stripped out, efficient drivers' car, and the other models should be the luxury touring options.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 08:24 AM

Okay, forget what I said previously. I just realised what the revised Elise front reminds me of:

Looks like Donato Coco felt no one would notice if gave in his old homework instead of doing the assignment properly...
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 PM

maybe something from the other side of the fence. i'm a new owner of a 1.6L elise. perhaps its a good thing that this car isn't available in the states, but it makes perfect sense in many other places in the world. the engine has good power but needs to be revved above 4500rpm to get to it. personally i've got no complaints over the lack of power since i do mostly city driving, although the new komo-tec 1.6 sc kit looks very tasty. the strength of the car was never in the amount of power but in its agility. many times, just sticking to the speed limits, you can get around cars with more CC and HP.

also, most importantly, the 1.6 car is the only way i could have gotten into Lotus ownership. car buyers in singapore have to bid for a certificate of entitlement in order to own a car. you're basically buying a right to own, and the system is split into cars below 1.6l and anything above. all in, the price difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 comes out to about $50k USD. as a result the 1.6l cars have been flying off the shelves here and the dealer stopped bringing in any 1.8l cars. now with the 1.6 sc kit, this car makes perfect sense for this market, and i can guess, many other markets around the world where you do city driving 90% of the time. and i agree with you guys, if i were in the states and with all the open roads, i'd never buy the 1.6l. the price for a 1.8l SC is less than half of what i paid for the 1.6l here anyway.

on the matter of looks, it does look much better in person than in photos. i've never been able to get a photo of my car that can truly represent the beautiful nose. perhaps i'm a little biased but when parked side by side with a local 111r, the facelifted model is more modern in style. the 111r looked slightly dated.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 12:33 PM

God the rest of the world is a painful place to love cars!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post
In the US you guys don't get the full picture.

The 1.6 is to replace the 1.8 1zz engine which has the same power. So not less power the same. The base model car in the US we call the 'R' which is is a model up from the base vehicle, now this has been dropped (due to not meeting Euro standards).

The line up now is the 1.6 which meets the euro standards and a new 1,8 with a supercharger and intercooler fitted.

Three model elises offered has now become two.

PS:
The new front end makes sense, no indicator housing flying out/off and on a build reason it is less parts for the assembler to fit. Good company stragegy. Yes I do like some looks on the old model but the new one has nice grill vents, better bonnet and nicer lines on the botttom of the front clam. But really it's pretty much the same car with a facelift.

Last edited by West oz loti; 06-08-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in