Planing to buy, new or used, whatever I can get in Puerto Rico. Got some questions - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Planing to buy, new or used, whatever I can get in Puerto Rico. Got some questions

Well first let me tell you what i have... a 2004 Mini Cooper S.
Love the car, love small cars, love sport cars, and love anything that does not look ordinary.....

First of all i would like to know if there is anyone that has that car in Puerto Rico, if so, where they bought it, if it was new o used, and where do they go to take care of it,

As for the car perce... i got a couple of questions, some kinda dumb, but please beare with me.
- why have i seen some pics with no power window.. kinda strange to have a super hot car with manual windows. or was it just that pic maybe.
- does anyone use it for everyday use.. city and downtown kinda trafic

or any info i can get... it would be nice to hear it.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Also.... i noticed a lot of lotus owners actually already own or have owned a mini cooper s...

any comparison? similarities?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Abe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalNick
Love the car, love small cars, love sport cars, and love anything that does not look ordinary.....

First of all i would like to know if there is anyone that has that car in Puerto Rico, if so, where they bought it, if it was new o used, and where do they go to take care of it,

As for the car perce... i got a couple of questions, some kinda dumb, but please beare with me.
- why have i seen some pics with no power window.. kinda strange to have a super hot car with manual windows. or was it just that pic maybe.

thanks
Hi RoyalNick,

How's my Borriqua? Haven't been to Canovanas, PR since I was 12....those were great memories

Unfortunately, Lotus does not have a dealership in PR but, it shouldn't stop you from buying one overseas like maybe HRM in New York (I think?) or there's plenty of pre-owned ones that you can buy at a decent price. MINI is a good car but, if you're looking for the ultimate in handling and style, go with the Lotus. Some people use this car for everyday use (which I think it's nuts ) but nonetheless, if you're looking to track a car, you won't be disappointed...good luck!

Abe

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
kinda strange to have a super hot car with manual windows.
You make it sound like it's a bad thing! Don't look now, but there's no power steering or power seats either.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

BMW1....
hey.... thanks for the reply, i was born in colombia, but i've been here for the past 15 years of my 28 year old life.. so, i can tell you, i feel part boricua..
Actually, I plan to use it as an everyday car. i just love the way it looks, and if its anything like the mini, or better.. thats just great..

andykeck
yes i gotta admit i know girls who know more about cars than me, had no idea about no pwer steering... i once drove a hunday with no powersteering for 2 days, and i think i could not lift my arms for 3 days.. is it anything like that?

thanks for the imput.

one more q.

for a used one... what should be a decent price... u can ball park it... depending on year.. or what has been your experience.

nick
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 07:08 PM

I know there is at least one Elise in Mayaguez, so it's doable. Dunno how the owner managed it, though. I didn't know the guy, but he's a regular fixture at El Tuque.

Something to consider: these aren't very comfortable cars... especially for PR-type climates... the AC is marginal, the chassis is exposed in the cabin and tends to get hot, and the roof likes to leak. Not necessarily the car I'd like to be stuck in a tapon with.

Consider also that it is a fairly delicate car - fiberglass, no bumpers, low to the ground with a pretty significant overhang. You hit a Bayamon pothole, or put two wheels into a ditch driving up in the mountains, and you're gonna be crying, with no mechanics in sight.

I don't know that I'd keep my car if/when I move back to PR, unless it was a dedicated track car.

Carlos, aka 'kohete, Boricua Expat'

ps. regarding the Mini - I've been a MCS owner for all of 3 weeks now... it's a great car (just took it for an extended Santa Cruz Mountains drive as part of a Mini rally today, and it handled itself very well). I went fast (which you will do in an Elise), listened to music (which you can't really do in an Elise when 'at speed') and chatted with the family (fuggedaboutit). On the other hand: You know how you feel when you step out of an ordinary car, like say, a Corolla, and get into your Mini? Thats what I feel like when I get out of the Mini and into my Elise

'05 SB Elise, TP, ST2, dual HID, driving lights, 4tress, schroth 4pt asm, TP rail, SYS, CRD, microMirror, HNTpad, V1
'13 Abarth, Nero/Bianco
'07 MINI Cooper S, lux, nav, MY + steeeripes!
'12 CLS550 land-yatch

Last edited by kohete; 07-15-2007 at 07:31 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohete
I know there is at least one Elise in Mayaguez, so it's doable. Dunno how the owner managed it, though. I didn't know the guy, but he's a regular fixture at El Tuque.

Something to consider: these aren't very comfortable cars... especially for PR-type climates... the AC is marginal, the chassis is exposed in the cabin and tends to get hot, and the roof likes to leak. Not necessarily the car I'd like to be stuck in a tapon with.

Consider also that it is a fairly delicate car - fiberglass, no bumpers, low to the ground with a pretty significant overhang. You hit a Bayamon pothole, or put two wheels into a ditch driving up in the mountains, and you're gonna be crying, with no mechanics in sight.

I don't know that I'd keep my car if/when I move back to PR, unless it was a dedicated track car.

Carlos, aka 'kohete, Boricua Expat'

ps. regarding the Mini - I've been a MCS owner for all of 3 weeks now... it's a great car (just took it for an extended Santa Cruz Mountains drive as part of a Mini rally today, and it handled itself very well). I went fast (which you will do in an Elise), listened to music (which you can't really do in an Elise when 'at speed') and chatted with the family (fuggedaboutit). On the other hand: You know how you feel when you step out of an ordinary car, like say, a Corolla, and get into your Mini? Thats what I feel like when I get out of the Mini and into my Elise
Carlos...
thanks for the info and heads up... i gotta say, that is the exact bit of data that i was looking for, thanks a million.. its pretty sad to hear, beacause i would love a car like this, it so freeking hot but i must admit i'm not gona have it for track, never had a track car. I guess i'll keep looking for a nice car that will feel right without much compromise... i guess my only other option would be a porshe boxter, since my price range can'tt really go past 70 to 80 k, for a car, if it did it would definitly take a big chunk of my lifestyle.

Anyway.... if you ever in Ponce... my business is Royal Flower Inc. a flower wholesale.

thanks

Nick
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 06:48 AM

Thumbs up Hello from a fellow adopted Puerto Rican

Royal Nick

Welcome to our community
I lived in PR until 2006 and was a great place to live and enjoy the life for 10 years
Now getting back to the car.

I know that "Tito Lugo" (The Owner of multiple car dealerships in PR) has a base 05 Lotus Elise in Kripton green. And that was my 1st encounter with the lotus elise.

Now from living in PR all these years here is my feedback to you in regards of this car to be used in Puerto Rico:

1st: you know that in PR it rains every day (or almost) and many times the street get flooded, this in not all that great for a car that is not really happy with getting rain on (there are many people that complaint about the car not being fully water proof) I now my car leaks a bit with hard rain or pressure washing. If you drive it through water (like in many streets after a rain) there is a possibility of problems with the car like getting in the chassis or near the main electrical block (which is about 10-12 inches from the floor near the engine)

2nd: Consider were do you live San Juan? (or the metro area?) Mayaguez?
It doesnít really matter but this car is delicate, and you know people in PR donít care about slamming their door open and chipping part of your composite door!!! (that will cost you a couple of $$$$ to fix), How about there are multiple hazards on the roads; Road kill, rocks, constant dips in the road and entrances and exits to malls etc..(which the dips are so pronounced that the car will scrape all the time) oh and many many potholes (and this car is not that high of the ground to avoid many of these)

3rd: Do you want to get the car new or pre owned?
Lets do some math:
New Base car ~ $42,000 + Island taxes (40%) = $58,000
Nice set up car ~ $48,000 + Island taxes (40%) = $63,000
Pre Owned car ~ $35,000 + Island Taxes (40% of the cars cost when new) ~ $16,800 = $51,000
(Hey how about that new tax? 6.6% does it also apply to the cars? = 46.6% taxes!!!)
Transportation to PR it cost me ~ $800 to ship the car from PR to Florida.

4th: Comfort as my experience with other sports cars that I had back then, and comparing the Lotus I can tell you that the AC on this car is not to the Standards for the climate in PR, you will find the AC suffering to cool down the car those days at 99F with 85% humidity (which is almost all the time)

5th: Service, Until a dealer in PR opens you are pretty much having to do the maintenance your self or pay a very skilled mechanic to take care of all the basic things, Oil change + Suspension adjustments and all the miscellaneous items that are part of every service.
Note; The car some times gets a ECU software updates while in service.
For the engine you wont have to worry very much as it is a Toyota Power plant and there are plenty of skilled mechanics for this engine, the problem would be everything else.

My real and honest advice coming from an fellow adopted Puerto Rican, get an Honda S-2000, which runs for about the same price in PR and your life will be so much easier.

Now If you really want a Lotus, read allot about the car and be well informed on the hurtles you will have to jump by owning this little car out there.

I would have owned a car like this back in PR but Iím honest and I donít think I would have enjoyed as much If This car was my daily driver I would have being in the constant look out and worried to damage the car or worse someone else crashing or hitting my doors etcÖ.

Any way good luck with your decision

Hope that this information helps

PM if you want to discuss further more

M.A. (Better know in PR as the Mexican)

Quote:

thanks

05 Elise FF275+Lotus ECU, SP, TP, HT, SS, ST2, DL, HID, CF Spoiler, Racing Battery (Weekend Toy)
(277WHP)

More:http://www.myspace.com/marcothebikeracer
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Hey man...
I'm very glad to see some fellow latin people here, and very thankfull with your coments, i must say, it pretty nice of you to take 5 minutes and write down all of this very helpfull notes...
I guess i'll look into a couple more cars, i will be sure to include the s2000 , but i guess i like the porsche a little more.

thanks again, and i will be sure to send u a pm, should i need a little more advice.

thanks

Nicolas Caldas
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 07:45 AM

Nic. Que pasa mi pana!

Welcome to our community. I was born and raised in PR and go back every year to visit my family in Toa Baja.

Good luck on your sports car selection and keep in touch.

Jaime

PRESENT: 2009 C63 AMG Black PAST: 2005 Saffron Yellow, 2008 Mini Cooper S, 98 Panoz Roadster, '00 C5 Corvette, '98 Viper GTS Coupe, '88 911 Turbo, BMW M3, '95 911 Coupe.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 AM

Guao. Nice to know I'm not the only islander on here Any others?

Designer, where do you display la banderita?

'05 SB Elise, TP, ST2, dual HID, driving lights, 4tress, schroth 4pt asm, TP rail, SYS, CRD, microMirror, HNTpad, V1
'13 Abarth, Nero/Bianco
'12 CLS550 land-yatch
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Well it does not surprice me...

2 years ago i was with 2 friends of mine in Istambul, Turkey... i believe i even was in the old side of the city... since the city is divided by the river Bosphoro or Bosforo... i cant spell worth a shieeeettt... the old side does not get many tourist,.. thing is i was there talking puertorican spanish... and some guy out of nowhere,,, says... "boricuasss eah rayosss que hacen por ahi" jajajajaja so yeah

it does not surprise me to see a bouple of puertorros here...

Saludos

Nick
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Also.... i noticed a lot of lotus owners actually already own or have owned a mini cooper s...

any comparison? similarities?
Driving the Lotus makes you realise that MINI got it right with respects to the handling and the way the MINI drives.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:56 AM

I have a PR customer that's bought a number of parts from me.
He's mentioned "moving on" to another car.
I'll let him know you're looking...

Robert Puertas
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 09:01 AM

pm sent
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 02:38 PM

Elise in San Juan

I don't know if there is another tito lugo with an Elise in PR, but I do own a 2005 Saffron Yellow and there are at least five lotus elise in PR. There is one blue, three sy, one orange and the last one that I know is grey. I do have a daily driven car other than the elise for comfort (E55) and still manage to get a smile. If you want you can pm me.
Regards,
Alberto
p.s. I don't own any dealer
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Robert Puertas: Thanks, yeah that would be nice, u can give him my email [email protected]

Wallabyguy : Got your PM, i'll keep it in mind, but i'm now first looking to see if i can get one locally and drive it a littlwe to see what its really about.

Tito Lugo: Alberto.. definitly there are a couple, beacuse i saw one about a week ago here in Ponce. I sent an email to Exotic Car Rentals here in PR, they told me they have one, in Safron Yellow, and they are looking to sell it also, the will send me an email with millege and year and a price, but most likely i will rent it for a day or two.... right now i think my best bet is to drive it, and see the feeel

thanks

Nick
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 06:14 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitoLugo
I don't know if there is another tito lugo with an Elise in PR, but I do own a 2005 Saffron Yellow and there are at least five lotus elise in PR. There is one blue, three sy, one orange and the last one that I know is grey. I do have a daily driven car other than the elise for comfort (E55) and still manage to get a smile. If you want you can pm me.
Regards,
Alberto
p.s. I don't own any dealer
My mistake there is another Tito lugo that owns car dealerships in the western part of the Island and I tied up one and the other.

The Elise I had te oportunity to see was a Kripton green base elise in Mayaguez.

Cheers to you for having such car in PR

Saludos a todos

Marco

05 Elise FF275+Lotus ECU, SP, TP, HT, SS, ST2, DL, HID, CF Spoiler, Racing Battery (Weekend Toy)
(277WHP)

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Maagjr - peeking through your myspace page, I see you went to UPR-RUM too (I was ICOM, though). Small world.

'13 Abarth, Nero/Bianco
'12 CLS550 land-yatch
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 01:56 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohete
Maagjr - peeking through your myspace page, I see you went to UPR-RUM too (I was ICOM, though). Small world.
Yeap small world. I work with some guys that also went to UPR-RUM
UPR RUM is my Alma matter (I still every now and then wear my Colegio polo shirt)
Antes Ahora y Siempre Colegio!!!!!

(277WHP)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in