Requests to Lotus - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Requests to Lotus

Please post your requests to Lotus on how they can improve the Elise. Please stick to things that are doable and not generic suggestions.

Example of a good suggestion:

Lotus, please provide a solid battery like the Optima because the wet one leaks under g forces. It would also be helpful if this was an option for SCCA people, which could happen if it was an option when you bought the car, or covered as a Technical Service Bulletin from Lotus as a fix for spilled battery acid. Thanks!

Example of an unhelpful suggestion:

Lotus, we need more power.

In order to keep the sanity in this thread and avoid hijacking, and thereby making sure this thread can be reviewed by Lotus... any post in this thread that is not a valid request to Lotus will be deleted. Thanks.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 11:12 AM

nice idea.

I would like to see more accessories available from the dealer like an Elise Spoiler, Elise Side Scoops, Elise Splitter, etc. These are all things I and many others would buy if they were available in the service dept. IMO I would rather have the dealer install them directly than go aftermarket, even though I really like what some of the aftermarket companies (www.sector111.com) are offering.
post #3 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 11:14 AM

Request: Lotus, please make cruise control a part of the Touring Package.

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter

post #4 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 11:14 AM

Lotus, we need a smaller interior mirror. The current mirror is too large and blocks forward vision. The view out the rear includes too much of the interior of the car - one that only showed the view out the rear window would be more effective.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #5 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 11:36 AM
insert clever title here

There are many great accessories available through the Lotus UK webstore. Please make all of these available in the US. I suggest getting LCU to carry this product line; dealers would still have the advantage they'll want (on the few products they decide to carry) as there would be no shipping charges when buying from a dealer.

I've read about the interior customization service offered in the UK, it'd be great to have that over here (different leather/fabric options available after sale of the car).

Stock more parts in the US, at least two of *every* part on the car. There are too many stories of having to wait 2-3 months for a part (this has happened to me twice now - minor parts, admittedly, but annoying nonetheless).

Put more energy into human factors and ergonomics design on future models. We all love the Elise as it is, but I think you could gain broader appeal by making the car more mainstream with the little things that people notice, things that a minor design change could address without affecting the spirit of the car. Examples: the operation of the door locks, non-illuminated hvac controls, headlights that are probably the worst of any car sold in the US, non-intuitive operation of the headlights switch, crappy stereo, and of course the thing between the seats that *looks* like a cupholder but won't hold anything larger than a shot of espresso (though it does THAT quite nicely!). In other words, little things that can make a good product even better without damaging the true design intent of the vehicle.

edit - last paragraph deleted, a bit off-topic, sorry

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #6 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 12:47 PM

I should first make the disclaimer that I'm a product designer, so all of my responses are tainted by that fact.

None of what would typically be considered "shortcomings" of the Elise bother me at all. These include the lack of amenities and occupant comfort issues. I don't even mind the paint imperfections (after I buffed them out), grit under the Star Shield (I'll ignore that), rough engine idle and performance when cold (kinda like the sound that it makes), water leaks around the windows, and marginal air conditioning. In my opinion this gives the Elise a real sense of character that is sorely missing in todays "santitized for your protection" mass produced cars. My point is, don't add or refine things to try and make the Elise acceptable to the general public. This isn't a generic car and Lotus should never attempt to make it one. My one suggestion for the current list of options is to make the car standard without a stereo, and make an optional stereo of higher quality for those who want it.

The main issue that bothers me about the Elise is the styling. It's not that the current styling is that bad, its just that Lotus doesn't seem to have any brand identity in its product line. Comare the current product line of the Elise and the Esprit to see a good example of a lack of brand identity. The original Elise was definitely paying homage to the Europa in its facia, but the overall styling was a bit too retro and cute. The S2 followed the styling cues of the 340R very well but was a bit too swoopy and overdone. The next generation Lotus appears to be going too far the other way to the conservative side. Perhaps the design department within Lotus should have a bit stronger position in the company with more of a long-range strategy than they currently have. The proper evolution of design makes for a strong visual brand equity.

John

1991 Miata "slightly" modified
2004 MINI Cooper S JCW
2005 CO LSS Elise
1947 & '48 MGTCs
1957 Thunderbird
post #7 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 01:39 PM

Offer a "Track Pack" as an upgrade to the Sports Pack. This would include:
* Brakes from the 240R
* Adjustable roll bar from 240R
* Ohlins suspension from the 240R
* Accusump and baffled oil pan
* Lighter and wider inch down wheels
* 5 point harnesses and seats with cutouts

Last edited by JeffersonRaley; 08-14-2005 at 01:43 PM.
post #8 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 01:53 PM

1. Shorter turning radius.
2. Heat deflectors built into sideview mirrors to prevent radiator heat from entering open cockpit.
3. Optimize brake/throttle pedal relationship for heel/toe.
4. Protective covers over rear light assemblies inside trunk.
5. More secure knobs on heat/fan controls.
6. Better access to oil dipstick.
7. Combine immobilize disconnect with ignition key.
post #9 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 02:11 PM
www.theapexinn.com

Just one simple one: a HORN that doesnt sound like a 1972 Vega.

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #10 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 02:15 PM

there a a couple things that can be added without much weight addition, that would greatly help us creatures.
some times you need to drive long stretchs of highway. a cruise button cant be too hard to build in. if theres a fuel cutoff(rev limiter), then there could be a controled fuel output programed onto the ecu aswell.

it IS called a 'touring' package.

1.Custom factory interior
2.Exige Black Mesh Grilles
3.Effective splitter&rear wing
4.paint matched side scoops(made of a hard plastic)

My line is never wrong, it just doesn't always correspond with the asphalt.

Above the clouds, the sun is always shining.
post #11 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 04:34 PM

The head unit is not that bad, but the speakers really need to be replaced by something better. Another brand outright might be nice.

You have to throw in the super charger option. I can't believe nobody mentioned this yet.

Replace the center console around the shift/parking brake area with something of substance. It would be really nice if it was made of aluminium or CF.

The sunvisors may be removed completely.

I'll second the smaller mirror. There is no point in looking at the seats in the rear view mirror. I'd go about an inch larger than shinoo's.

soulman
post #12 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 04:39 PM

All I have so far...

...would be to improve the HVAC system. The main fan for the cabin is WAY underpowered, and the A/C unit can not keep up with some of the more extreme climatic conditions in certain regions of the US (Phoenix is a good example).

I think it would be OK to offer this as an option (Extreme Climate Pack?), as there are many regions where I'm sure people find the performance of the existing system to be adequate.

05 SY 4/28/2005 - 3/17/2006 - RIP
06 SY 5/6/2006 - 10/29/09 - SOLD

Last edited by roadrunner; 08-14-2005 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Added info.
post #13 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 04:44 PM

Oops, one more thing...

...for future models I suppose. It would be nice if the removable hard top was much easier and quicker to install/de-install. I don't mind fiddling around the the bolts too much, but I wonder if it might be possible to do something more along the lines of the roof on the Ferrari 348ts for example (two clamps at the front, two lugs at the rear).

05 SY 4/28/2005 - 3/17/2006 - RIP
06 SY 5/6/2006 - 10/29/09 - SOLD
post #14 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 05:17 PM

Lotus needs to follow a new path with future option/ accessory offerings. Create accessory guidelines (engineering) for wheels, car covers, exhausts, etc. and have them sourced by the distriutor in each country rather than sourced all in england. This would allow lotus to offer only 2 wheel options from the factory, for example, rather than 22 that they currently stock so all markets are served. The regional distributors could then source wheels which appeal and are in demand by their region. this would simplify the build process and (this one's for Kim) SAVE MONEY. Make one dash standard for the model instead of different ones for the US and Europe. The new LED tail lamps address one of my personal concerns. Bumpers are already on their way.

But the most important thing Lotus can do is keep the spirit of the Elise and spread it throughout the line. Don't go soft (like some pictures of an awful looking thing with Cheverolet headlamps we've seen lately). Stay edgy and unique. Stay light and agile. Don't be Ferrari. Don't be Porsche. Be Lotus (and kick all their asses).
post #15 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 05:58 PM

Fix the speedometer ASAP, please.
post #16 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 06:13 PM

Please Lotus, fix the shifter buzz, the gear noise that's transmitted to the shifter.

And as mentioned, a smaller rear view mirror. Much smaller than what's on there now but bigger than Shinoo's.

And as mentioned that oil dip stick is a pain in the ass.

'05 Storm Titanium / Red
post #17 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 06:43 PM
rnr

More space between the brake pedal and the right side of the drivers footwell-I literally cannot drive the elise wearing sneakers since my foot (size 13) hits the brake when I try to accelerate. I think the spacing between the pedals is just fine-what is needed is to move the entire pedal set and inch or two to the left.
post #18 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner
...would be to improve the HVAC system. The main fan for the cabin is WAY underpowered, and the A/C unit can not keep up with some of the more extreme climatic conditions in certain regions of the US (Phoenix is a good example).

I think it would be OK to offer this as an option (Extreme Climate Pack?), as there are many regions where I'm sure people find the performance of the existing system to be adequate.
Driving around in 104 degree temp on Saturday with limited A/C power, this should be FIRST priority, as the Elise can no longer be driven in very hot climates.

BTW- My Esprit BLOWS COLD!!! So I know you can do it

Monaco White//BOV//Nova Wheels//Always Touring...
post #19 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 07:34 PM

Almost forgot, little more elbow room.
post #20 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel74
Just one simple one: a HORN that doesnt sound like a 1972 Vega.
I like the 1972 Vega sound. It's better than the high whiney sound so many other (mostly Asian) cars seem to have.

Although a freight train airhorn would be ideal. One of the dump trucks at the local quarry seems to have installed one and likes to advertise the fact profusely. Even through a couple hundred yards of trees the sound is phenominal. That's the kind of honking power I want. Causing drivers to crap their pants will make them think twice about changing lanes without looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in