Requests to Lotus - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 04:51 PM

In order for Lotus to help get their name "out there", who thinks that a recomittment to motorsports would help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallabyguy
In order for Lotus to help get their name "out there", who thinks that a recomittment to motorsports would help?
Me. Memememe.
post #63 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 05:05 PM

Honestly, does the "win on sunday, sell on monday" saying still hold true?

post #64 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 05:16 PM

Difficult question to answer. The Elise, being an enthuisiasts car, is more likely to win buyers who are interested in motorsports. At the same time, I'm not sure how much exposure you really get racing in smaller series. Formula 1? Le Mans Series? Great exposure. Speed GT and SCCA racing? I have no idea.

One thing I like about racing is if Lotus Sport offers tried and true race parts to customers in the U.S. They could just build cars that privateers campaign, so that it would not be so costly. From an image perspective, it's nice to know that your street car shares parts with the race car.

On the other hand, I look at the success of various sports car companies today, and it has less to do with racing programs and everything to do with image. Racing is only one way to create a brand image. In addition to having a car that performs and drives like a Lotus, they really need something exclusive and desirable just because it's cool to have. Something regarded as world class. Like when James Bond drove an Esprit. It sounds silly, but look at Ferrari. The appeal is very broad, whether you're a poseur or a performance enthuisiast. At that point, it I think it is undesirable to be marketing towards poseurs, but you can see that people buy cars for more reasons that just how it drives. Looks, exclusivity, and image.

BTW, I don't think people will like that Proton/Elise prototype that we thought was either the next Elise or the Europa at all. Especially from the rear.

- J

PS: Build a road going version of the Sport Exige, just because you can. Probably not financially viable, but it would be nice to at least see it being raced by privateers.

'05 Lotus Elise: RS134 Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4

Last edited by Vantage; 08-30-2005 at 05:19 PM.
post #65 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 01:46 AM

I would like a more precise short throw gear shifter and a factory SC (both retrofitable). Also a shift light (bright LED) that that could be mounted on the upper windshield (left) or mirror would be nice. The shift light on the dash isn't bright enough for my peripheral vision in full daylight. Thanks for the opportunity for input.
post #66 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage
At that point, it I think it is undesirable to be marketing towards poseurs, but you can see that people buy cars for more reasons that just how it drives. Looks, exclusivity, and image.
Honestly I am buying this car for how is drives, although I won't be able to do a lot of carving on the roads here in FL, NO TWISTIES (I have a CBR600RR too and well it's disheartening there are no twisty roads), but I ALSO bought this car for the LOOKS, and Exclusivity. I love that part just as much as how it drives.

I almost forgot, I would really like is a Double action Red Rider Bee-bee gun with a compass in the stock.

Ryan
post #67 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidoprof
I almost forgot, I would really like is a Double action Red Rider Bee-bee gun with a compass in the stock.

Ryan
Don't you know you'll shoot your eye out kid? How about a lamp in the shape of a womans leg wearing fish net stockings?
post #68 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:32 AM

How about some hard points on the rear frame for a tire trailer. If that is not possible maybe some load points be added for rack over the rear cam maybe even a roof rack on the hard top.

Mostly keep the car light. I would like to see an the improved AC and many of the other things suggested. But mostly just keep the car light.

I one of the people that have not purchased a car yet. It will likely be a few years before our family is ready for another car. Once I get an Elise, the car will be a daily driver. It will be parked out doors, in a drive way - but out side execpt for snow storms.

I am watching this thread and I hope the folks back in the UK are also. Let the up market car (the next Elan or what ever they call it) have the plush seats, cup holders, and stuff that add lbs. I add enough weight when get in. No more is needed.
post #69 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
How about some hard points on the rear frame for a tire trailer. If that is not possible maybe some load points be added for rack over the rear cam maybe even a roof rack on the hard top.
DING! Please, Lotus???

John, are you going to race yours at Ripken next month??? Congrats on your ownership.

Jer
2006 Elise
2014 RAM 3500 DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #70 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjer
John, are you going to race yours at Ripken next month??? Congrats on your ownership.
Sorry Jer, I must have not been clear enough. It will be at least 2 or 3 years before I get my Elise. Talk about a long wait.

Work requires that I do very little autocrossing this year (I am working most weekends). I have followed you exploits though. Seems that you have something of a hot shoe on the one foot.

For them that did not see it please click on this
for them that do not understand please click this
post #71 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Sorry Jer, I must have not been clear enough. It will be at least 2 or 3 years before I get my Elise. Talk about a long wait.
WHY? If it's financial, nevermind. But if not, there are cars all over. get one now and enjoy! Actually I reread your post, and I just didn't read it all. My mistake. You were quite clear.
Quote:
Work requires that I do very little autocrossing this year (I am working most weekends). I have followed you exploits though. Seems that you have something of a hot shoe on the one foot.
Tangible improvement for sure, but I have a lot of work to do. I wish I could go to Topeka, but that would probably be pretty demoralizing LOL. Thanks for the encouragement!

Jer
2006 Elise
2014 RAM 3500 DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #72 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjer
WHY? If it's financial, nevermind.
That it. Believe me. Any thing else and it would be anthing Elise... well maybe not purple but I even like the AB. The RG is the current lust for colour.
post #73 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 11:09 PM

Hey Lotus,
Work a car into the next James Bond movie. Get Proton to give a bunch of change ($$) to the studio and get the Elise featured! _everybody_ remembers the Lotus name from the JB movie. Good for marketing.

-doma

Braille Battery - Micromirror - Alpine Head Unit & Speakers - HID Headlights - H&T Pad - Snorkel Delete - Non Dust Brake Pads - JL Stealthbox - JL Amps - Sirius Sat - Rudolph Antlers and Nose Kit
Astronomy Picture of the Day
post #74 of 217 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QYKSLVR
This is a rare feature on drivers seats. It is much cheaper to install a non-locking retractor seat belt. This is also a bad idea if you want to hit some twisties and lock yourself down. <...> and it causes much greater forces on the body as the belt has had some of the "give" removed from the system.
Why would this be? The belt locks under sudden deceleration, the "pre-locked" retractor just starts out that way. The belt still stretches, the tear strips still tear, and the seat belt pre-tensioner still pre-tensions. The only difference would be that the seat belt locks a millisecond sooner...

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #75 of 217 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 10:42 AM

Ford has the next couple of JB movies tied up for Aston Martin.
post #76 of 217 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen
Why would this be? The belt locks under sudden deceleration, the "pre-locked" retractor just starts out that way. The belt still stretches, the tear strips still tear, and the seat belt pre-tensioner still pre-tensions. The only difference would be that the seat belt locks a millisecond sooner...
Well from my understanding, the belts are designed with the small amount of stretching before the mechanism locks. I can ask one of the NHTSA instructors if you would like but they told us to stop parents who llock their kids into booster seats with the pre-tensioned belt, in order to prevent further injury. Try it at your own risk, if you can find a drivers belt with locking retractors..
post #77 of 217 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidoprof
I ALSO bought this car for the LOOKS, and Exclusivity.
I love the design as well, and the relative exclusivity is a plus. No argument there.

Waiting for the day when I see an Elise with chrome dubs on the street...hopefully the raw nature of the car will keep those guys away.

- J

'05 Lotus Elise: RS134 Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4
post #78 of 217 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 02:32 PM

First, an easy fix.

Teach whomever is running the random orbital buffer/sander how to use the tool. My paint, and that of several others I have spoken to, is full of squiggles. This means Mr. operator had something stuck in his pad/paper when he ran it over my car.

Secondly, not every American is plus-sized. The seats are too big. Some side bolstering would be nice. I would also prefer Alcantara to leather. It is a sports car. Who wants to slide around in the seats at the track?

Nick
Bordeaux/Biscuit
LSS/Touring/Stage II Exhaust
Proud owner of #362
www.DetailersParadise.com
post #79 of 217 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage
I love the design as well, and the relative exclusivity is a plus. No argument there.

Waiting for the day when I see an Elise with chrome dubs on the street...hopefully the raw nature of the car will keep those guys away.

- J
And here I thought I could add some chrome 19's to the car and get away with it.

I am actually thinking of adding some NICER rims for my tastes (the Volk's are on my list, and not for the weight factor).

Ryan
post #80 of 217 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck
Here's my request for Lotus. There are a great many requests in this thread for things that individually seem reasonable enough, but if taken in sum make it seem that we're asking for a larger, plusher more tricked-out car. If that's where the market takes the mid-level car and the Esprit replacement, fine by me. If Lotus offers some of those options for the Elise, again, fine. But I'd like for there always to be available the bare-bones, spartan, no-nonsense Elise that I love. I have little interest high-quality materials or more comfort, I want low mass, simplest solution stuff. Like the recent review of the S2 Exige said, "Small, tight and angry". Indeed! Give me that.
The first M3's (E30) were great, they were improved upon for a few years then went plush. Nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong with making money.

Proton/VW(Lotus) wants to gain market share. The M3 created a raw car that appealed to true drivers, others wanting to be associated with the buzz don't want to suffer in order to have fun.

This suffering wakes the senses and creates adrenaline junkies. Adrenaline junkies are fun and exciting, women hate boring, boring guys want the women so they buy the same toys.

It is obvious that the Elise provides what it intends to both crowds.

The Elise wasn't allowed in NA, this is such a rare opportunity to own a basically Euro spec Elise.

The driver mentality in Europe is so different from NA, first of all they know what a passing lane is for, roads are way more fun and they have never been terrorized by really big trucks driven by suburbanites. (Arnold buys Hummer, Hummer1 sells, consumers say things............ H2 then H3 are built which have nothing to do with a Hummer.)

IMHO
The Elise will evolve and take the M3 and 911 route it is inevitable. If Lotus is to succeed it will need more mainstream drivers, if it stays as is it will dwindle since the 2 year exemption is soon over. The newly compliant Lotus will never be the same animal as the MY05/06.

Elise's success can open up doors for the Alfa/Renault and many more fun to drive cars.

In NA most people (present company excluded) take the same approach to driving as they do to Martial Arts. Too many law suits, to get better you have to learn how to fall, but if you sue after your first fall the instructor will have to roll you in bubble wrap and send you home.

I love you Lotus

Oh yeah
Louder horn
More functional side mirrors (curve em baby)/Smaller rear view mirror
Front clam undercarriage protection thingy
I lived in England, why do you use sun visors again?
Option to have (track pack) rear brace added without getting TrackPak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in