Rumor - Lotus Dealer coming to Rochester NY - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Rumor - Lotus Dealer coming to Rochester NY

A freind told me, he meet a guy driving an Elise around town, and when he talked to him, he said he was planning on opening a dealership in the Rochester NY Area.

Any is their anyway to confirm a Lotus dealer is coming to town?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 11:09 AM
OSX Black hat

ask the local lambo franchise owner.

Black Exige S / Elan M100. Don't run a smaller pulley without an upgraded fuel pump! http://www.goth.am ecu stuff.. New reflash box coming soon!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

We don't have one.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex
ask the local lambo franchise owner.

aparently you have never been to "crotch-ester" ny before.

I live in Rochester and I've been dying to take an elise for a test drive. That would be great if one opened up around here so I dont have to drive to greenwich!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 04:58 PM

My sister's boyfriend is there and I don't think I'd ever take my Elise there...

But if I ever go, one of you can drive it.

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 12:24 PM

As fas as I know, there is no plan on opening a dealership in or near Rochester.

I am torn, although it would make getting service easier, I would hate to start seeing alot of them around.

Currently, there are two elise's in the area. 1 red '05, and 1 silver '06.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 01:16 PM

i buffalo doesn't even have one, closest is what in Toronto, I have a hard time believe crochester will ever get one, even with pittsford there

<--- RIT graduate.

Thom
1966 Impala SS vert, 327 turbofire, powerglyde, a blown ring
1971 Mach 1, 351C, C6, project since highschool
1999 GMC Yukon, Borla Headers back, k&n intake, Crane Truck Power Cam, GMPP Aluminum Vortec Heads...Daily Bitch
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshaman

Currently, there are two elise's in the area. 1 red '05, and 1 silver '06.
Fortunetely you are mistaken.

There are a lot more then that. The LOONYs membership include a Bordeaux, Chrome Orange, Starlight Black, Nightfall Blue, Ardent Red, all of which are in the Rochester Fingerlakes area.

I also know of another Ardent Red one that has been autocrossing and seen at the Kodak facility.

This does not include the rest of the LOONYs...which are in Buffalo and other update areas. There are at least 5 more Elises in Buffalo. There are a few more that I cannot think of at this time.

We do need a dealer in Upstate NY. I cant imagine why Lotus has not agressively sought one out here. One of the LOONYs that is a car dealer requested information when the Elise came out. did not even get a response.

Our closest Dealer is Toronto...then Pittsburgh....Detroit and Cleveland. HRM is like 6 hours from Rochester...the farthest away.

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:54 PM

Manhattan motorcar is within reach, as is philly.

5 or 6 lotus in an area is special.

50 or 60 would be less so.

So although a dealership close by would be a convenience, it might diminish the car a bit.

It is good to know that the LOONYS are out there.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Abe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukenyc
So although a dealership close by would be a convenience, it might diminish the car a bit.
I guess someone forgot to mention this to LCU for the west coast...I'm hearing that they could open another one in the Los Angeles/Pasadena area. However, I don't quite know how much if any, this need for more dealers has diminished the car...
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukenyc
Manhattan motorcar is within reach, as is philly.

NYC is like 9 hours away from upstate NY on a good day. Philly is like 7. That is over the top as far a going somewhere for service.

It is bad enough that we have to travel 4 or 5 hours for the ones I mentioned.

Yes...the LOONYs are here. Have been for 20 years. We are in our 20th year of LOONY breakfasts and get togethers.

I would suspect that there are about another 10 Elises in the area from Syracuse to Buffalo that we dont know about.

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1
I guess someone forgot to mention this to LCU for the west coast...I'm hearing that they could open another one in the Los Angeles/Pasadena area. However, I don't quite know how much if any, this need for more dealers has diminished the car...
I have heard some similar things and I really don't understand that. How does having more dealers hurt Lotus? I get that it will take away some from other dealers, but does it have a negative impact at all on the car or the brand?

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 AM

I would argue that it actually adds value to the brand by having an extensive dealer network. By having accessible service and support centers, it makes the brand more attractive to own as the cost/ fustration of owning one drops. I also belive that a strong owner community adds value to the brand. Entities like Club111, Lotus Ltd and Elisetalk also help build and sustain the satisfaction levels of owners.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 04:12 PM

It's not so simple as opening a dealer. A dealership is a franchise. Lotus won't license any franchisee to sell its brand, trademarks and copyrights unless they suspect that there is adequate interest in the brand other than a few passionate, awesome owners such as LOONYs.

Upstate NY is not exactly sports car central from what I've seen, most probably due to the EXTREMELY HARSH winters that begin early and end late.

You guys should try to gather interest from people and report to Lotus, see what happens. At the very LEAST you should be able to open a service center That would make things much easier and there is no harm in that for Lotus.

I truly wish the best for you guys!!!!!!!

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Abe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase
I have heard some similar things and I really don't understand that. How does having more dealers hurt Lotus? I get that it will take away some from other dealers, but does it have a negative impact at all on the car or the brand?
In my opinion it doesn't hurt Lotus at all, maybe some dealers but not Lotus. My reply was to the gentleman who thinks it could diminish the brand by opening up more dealers and if anyone knows more than anyone regarding more dealers, it's California. They have more dealers than ANY other state and yet there's somewhat of a demand for the car...still Can't really blame Lotus as they're only doing what they think is best for the company and if anything, more dealerships is brand awareness for them.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 AM

Has this rumor been confirmed, denies, tabled?

I ask because my car is due for a service, and I am not sure where I am headed yet.

BTW, good tohear that their are more Loti around.

I have only seen the red one on the road so far.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 AM
www.theapexinn.com

Not to mention my Chrome Orange coming to Watkins Glen in a few years !

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshaman View Post
Has this rumor been confirmed, denies, tabled?

I ask because my car is due for a service, and I am not sure where I am headed yet.

BTW, good tohear that their are more Loti around.

I have only seen the red one on the road so far.
Why dont you join the LOONYs? Lots of us out there.

You can call Dave Lebrun at Lebrun Motors ...Waterloo
He (and I ) have red Elises and he will do service..but no warranty as he is not a Lotus dealer

I have not heard anything about us getting a Lotus dealer in upstate NY.

Tony Vaccaro
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 01:25 PM

There used to be a Lotus dealer in Rochester, It was called CarTech. I worked as a mechanic there when I was in my early 20's. When I worked there (the owners name was Scott something), it was an Alfa dealer, but we worked on lots of Loti!
Anyway, that's when I got bit by the Lotus bug...

VFII, Eliseparts Sequential, Geartronics Paddle shift.
You name it, I've probably got that installed too...
1864lbs, full tank
Otherwise, it's bone stock....
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 03:01 PM

Funny story about Scott Mclean (now deceased). Back around 1985 I was driving around Rochester and BANG....Lotus sign.

so I spin around and pull in. Walk in the front door and ask this guy (Scott Mclean but I did not know that) where are the Lotus cars and wow...glad to meet you.

Scott then starts a tirade " What do you Lotus guys think this is...A Church. Does that Lotus sign out there look like a Steeple? Whats with you guys...do you think Colin Chapman is God....on an on.... (in faxct this is where I got the idea for our Sunday meetings being called the "Church of the Holy Lotus".

he then proceeds to rant and rave about how Lotus pulled out of the US market and left him with a bunch of parts...and now they want him to buy back in for the Esprit.

So I ask him..do you want to sell the Lotus Sign? He says yes and we make arrangements to pick it up next week. I will have a sign guy remove it.

When I call back to set the time...he now says he wants me to pay for a new sign to take its place.....Sign guy wants like $1000 to do this. He was going to remove the sign for $200.

Told Scott..."no thanks". Later that year a local VW dealer (Vincent VW) picked up the Lotus franchise. I think they kept it till the about 1990. Then the guy in Syracuse..cant remember his name ...picked it up.

I went there in Spring 1992 to take a M100 out for a test drive. I walk in and say I want to look at the Lotus. Guy throws me the keys...says "make 4 rights out of the driveway and come back".

Never got the car over 45 mph...which was a shame as above that is where the M100 really shined. I said too myself...what is so great about this car and bought a Caterham.

Later I did buy an M100 and found it to be one of the best Lotus cars ever.

I tried to get a dealership here in Buffalo. I was told that they did not want any more used car dealers or "garage" dealers. What they want is the Toyota...VW...Porsche....big dealer. Those guys are too fat and happy to take a chance on Lotus.

Edit...I will still take a chance on Lotus....I KNOW I can sell the car. Like no other in my opinion. Been doing it for years.....

Tony Vaccaro

Last edited by tvacc; 04-21-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in