Sales tax on used cars - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdHahn View Post
The Constitution doesn't say anything about that one way or another.

ed
Really??

Amendment XVI to the Constitution (Ratified February 3. 1913)

The Congress shall have the power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several states, and without regard to any census or enumeration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Nein Kinder

I notice the OP has never even hinted at tax evasion, only a few nice people on this forum. Does it really take this many posts to debate the merits of criminal conduct? I like to think the vast majority of people who own and drive my favorite marque have the means and ethics to avoid the moral turpitude of tax evasion.

Glen
esseye likes this.

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #83 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 07:57 AM

As Tony states in an earlier post, the parking garage in Manhattan is owned by Kenny Mance and I think it's called the Jamaican garage.

post #84 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 12:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
I notice the OP has never even hinted at tax evasion, only a few nice people on this forum. Does it really take this many posts to debate the merits of criminal conduct? I like to think the vast majority of people who own and drive my favorite marque have the means and ethics to avoid the moral turpitude of tax evasion.

Glen
In MA, they stick you with book value, so there's no $100 cars from a sales tax perspective.

Past & Present:
2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport
2012 Aston Martin Rapide
2011 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Manual
2011 Lotus Evora - Aspen White
2005 Range Rover HSE
2007 Jaguar XK Coupe
2004 Jaguar XJ350 Vanden Plas
post #85 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Vroom vroom

When going to register my car, I was mentally preparing myself for being hit with a huge tax, which would certainly just go on the credit card and force me to sit in the dark and eat ramen for the next few months. Lo and behold, there's a silver lining to living in a state where cranky old farts decide the elections. No private sales taxes in AZ!

All you coastal state schmucks trying to weasel your way out of Uncle Sam's dues need to pay unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar or move.

2005 CO Elise: stage II CLF exhaust, B&M shifter, 5.25"/6.5" speakers, footwell lighting, RLS side mirrors, and 2 Dartholders (caffeine injection improves performance)
Uncage your garage queen and quit being a pansy. Daily drive it!
post #86 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 12:31 PM

Here in CA. It's not called sales tax. It's called use tax.
post #87 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 12:55 PM
He's on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Here in CA. It's not called sales tax. It's called use tax.
Same in IL. If you buy from a private party there is a table that tells you what the use tax is. If you buy from a dealer the use tax just *happens to be* equivalent to the sales tax rate in your resident county

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #88 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:23 PM

Yup no tax in AZ, that was a shocker when I moved away.
post #89 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 05:10 AM

Maybe if they collected a few bucks, they could build there own wall using the labor already located behind bars. Good therapy looking back over the border wishing you'd never tried in the first place.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #90 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 09:44 PM
Loves to talk

Garage
Since we're talking tax oddities when buying cars interstate, here's mine. This was a new car, my Evora 400, bought in Michigan, registered in Nashville, TN.

I decided to pick the car up in Detroit myself and then drive it home. I assumed I'd get a transfer plate in Michigan and register the car and pay taxes in Tennessee. But no. I was told I had to get Michigan's temporary 15 day registration and pay Michigan sales tax and then re-register the car in Nashville and pay any difference to Tennessee's DMV. TN's taxes are slightly higher by the way. In any case it all sounded odd to me since the car was immediately leaving Michigan bound for Nashville. I had assumed the sales taxes were collected by the buyer's state and not in the seller's state.

The Michigan process as it was explained to me by the dealer sounded more like buying lunch on a road trip rather than a car but I did the research and to my surprise I confirmed that this was the case from TN's DMV. I bought the car on that assumption but there was a glitch when I got home and went to register it. The clerk presented me with a $7000 bill instead of the $800 it was supposed to be. Turns out she had no idea how it worked but for several long moments I stood dumbfounded at her window while she consulted with her supervisor. Eventually they decided I didn't owe TN the bulk of the taxes after all. I felt pretty stupid for buying a new Lotus out of state for about ten minutes but it all worked out.

The laws are pretty patchwork within a relatively broad range. My experience suggests even the DMV workers are unclear what the rules are in what you'd think should be a straightforward, every day transaction.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in