Seen the 2011 Elise in person yet? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Are you sure about that new tranny? That hasn't been mentioned in any of the official releases. The Elise S (which we do not get here) has a new six-speed box to go with the new 1.6L motor, but everything from Lotus says the drivetrain on the Elise R and SC (our Elise and Elise SC) are unchanged.
ill double check my source (i work for lotus), but i do recall seeing "new 6 speed for the whole range".

thats assuming i interpreted it right.....ill double check just to be sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Abe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Lotus_Guy View Post
ill double check my source (i work for lotus), but i do recall seeing "new 6 speed for the whole range".

There is "NO" new 6-speed and there is "NO" bump in HP for the 2011 models. The only thing different besides the facelift is that for 190 version Elise's the hard top, traction control and touring pack are now standard and all metallic paints are a "no cost" option.

Taking care of the Lotus community one Lotus at a time...yes, We Are Lotus
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe View Post
There is "NO" new 6-speed and there is "NO" bump in HP for the 2011 models. The only thing different besides the facelift is that for 190 version Elise's the hard top, traction control and touring pack are now standard and all metallic paints are a "no cost" option.
2011 Lotus Elise: Nipped, Tucked And Still Beautiful

Quote:
The important upgrades come under the hood. For starters, the whole range now gets a new six-speed transmission. Secondly, power from the 1.8-liter Toyota four is up slightly to 192HP for naturally-aspirated and 217HP in the supercharged version. But the big news is also a new engine in the entry-level S model a 1.6-liter engine (the first time a 1.6 has appeared in an Elise) with Valvematic and Dual VVT-i technology.

post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:25 AM
JWA

Quote:

Here's the original press release: New Lotus Elise Model Year 2011 Chapman Report Online

The terminology is somewhat tricky as they refer to the 111S, which gets the new 1.6L and six-speed box simply as the "Lotus Elise". However, it is pretty clear where they list the changes to all Elises and then those changes to the 111S. So unless something has changed it looks like our cars should have the same drivetrain.

EDIT: Jalopnik mis-read the press release. They aren't the best source for technical info - especially if you'll be staking your reputation to your customers on it.
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Abe

Quote:
Seeing that you work for a Lotus dealer as I do, I'm surprise you're quoting from a source other than Lotus themselves. I have specs from Lotus indicating HP numbers are the same.

Taking care of the Lotus community one Lotus at a time...yes, We Are Lotus
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Here's the original press release: New Lotus Elise Model Year 2011 Chapman Report Online

The terminology is somewhat tricky as they refer to the 111S, which gets the new 1.6L and six-speed box simply as the "Lotus Elise". However, it is pretty clear where they list the changes to all Elises and then those changes to the 111S. So unless something has changed it looks like our cars should have the same drivetrain.

EDIT: Jalopnik mis-read the press release. They aren't the best source for technical info - especially if you'll be staking your reputation to your customers on it.
you know what, you might be right. that is confusing the way they worded it. i read the press release over again and it sounds like they are just referring to the 1.6 liter.

left lane news though is claiming that ALL the new elise's got a new tranny though.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lotus-elise.html

....idk though. i think ill just look up part numbers and see whether or not its the same
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Seeing that you work for a Lotus dealer as I do, I'm surprise you're quoting from a source other than Lotus themselves. I have specs from Lotus indicating HP numbers are the same.
how long have you had your 2011's? we just got ours a few days ago
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
how long have you had your 2011's? we just got ours a few days ago
Boardwalk just got theirs a few days ago. Ardent Red, base. Great looking car.

I spent a ton of time around the White RGB Elise at Pebble Beach, and I really like the new front end. It's almost too understated, but parked next to an Evora is great to see the common design language.
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:27 PM
tmr

I remember when the series 1 Elise was unveiled at LOG 16 (I think) at Chateau Elan north of Atlanta back in 1996. I'd seen photos of it, but was blown away by how cool it looked. When the series 2 cars came out, I was disappointed in both the photos and the real thing, the latter which I saw for the first time at Lotus Cars USA. The styling had to grow on me, which it has.

Now that the series three cars have come out, I have to say that I don't like the photos as much as the series 2 cars, but will reserve judgement until I see the real thing. It looks like they messed with some things just because they could, like the hardtop, rear diffuser, and so forth. It does look cleaner, but not in a good way.

Just my two cents...
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:40 PM

Am I the only one who's noticing the similarity in front ends?

post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmr View Post
It looks like they messed with some things just because they could, like the hardtop, rear diffuser, and so forth. It does look cleaner, but not in a good way.

Just my two cents...
When I was looking at it last week, the dealer told me the only things that ARE NOT new are the hardtop and doors.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:25 PM
tmr

Did I say hardtop? I meant engine cover! Sorry about that...
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanDolan View Post
Boardwalk just got theirs a few days ago. Ardent Red, base. Great looking car.
Yes, the car looks great. I liked the first promo pictures, but had some reservations. In seeing the car first-hand. I think it looks better in real life.

vincesf
post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
The only thing different besides the facelift is that for 190 version Elise's the hard top, traction control and touring pack are now standard and all metallic paints are a "no cost" option.
Is cruise control part of the now standard touring pack, or is it an extra option?

Jason
post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:17 PM

Really curious to see the car in person. From the photos I'm a bit concerned about trying to "redesign" the car body while minimizing expensive tooling changes. For example, the rear panel has an extra seam now across the back, seems less clean--maybe to use the top half of the rear clam mold while redesigning the lower area for the diffuser? And the side intakes look the same as they have been, very rounded, not angular, while the rest of the car has some angles now. The pre-11 version looks like every bit works together in the same design language, while the new one is a little mixed.

Anyone notice that after looking at it in person?

Lotus Sport Elise #24
71 TR6
post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTribe View Post
Really curious to see the car in person. From the photos I'm a bit concerned about trying to "redesign" the car body while minimizing expensive tooling changes. For example, the rear panel has an extra seam now across the back, seems less clean--maybe to use the top half of the rear clam mold while redesigning the lower area for the diffuser? And the side intakes look the same as they have been, very rounded, not angular, while the rest of the car has some angles now. The pre-11 version looks like every bit works together in the same design language, while the new one is a little mixed.

Anyone notice that after looking at it in person?
I had some of the same concerns regarding the facelifted styling. Quite frankly some of the picture angles of the '11 are not flattering. I believe it has more to do with the angle of the pictures than anything else. The new styling looked crisp and well integrated when seeing it first-hand. In some ways, I prefer the '05 to '10 egg-crate grill and side strakes (akin to old school Ferrari styling cues), but if I were a buyer for a new Elise, I would not be turned-away because of the styling changes (ala new school Ferrari styling).

vincesf
post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:12 AM

FVMC has one and I saw it yesterday. Here are some iphone pics

Observations:

- the body style is still the same - they've just tweaked some the panels. Still has the same shapes/swoops.

Differences:

- Rear black plate is gone - its integrated into the body.

- Front of clam different - more streamlined front with integrated splitter. No separate turn signals.

- Side vents/rest are mesh - no plastic fins.

- Has sort of a center groove that goes up the front to the windshield and continues on the hardtop.

- Engine cover is changed.

- interior looks the same.

I'd have to see it in a different color (orange, yellow) to really see the lines. They get kind of lost in the storm titanium

One thing - the side reflector lights have the Elise logo built into them. Looks pretty cool
Attached Images

post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusforsale View Post
When I was looking at it last week, the dealer told me the only things that ARE NOT new are the hardtop and doors.
He's wrong. See my pics. Hardtop has that indent running through it.
post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:21 AM
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
He's wrong. See my pics. Hardtop has that indent running through it.
They have always had that...
post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 AM

Garage
Does anyone know when the next generation Elise/Exige will be coming out? Was it suppose to be next year?

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in