V6 Exige coming to US as track car - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

V6 Exige coming to US as track car

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

2012 Lotus Exige headed to U.S. as track-only car

Quote:
Lotus was forced to axe the Lotus Elise and Exige from the U.S. lineup due to the expiration of a smart-airbag exemption and the discontinuance of its Toyota-derived 1.8-liter motor. After producing a couple farewell packages, Lotus unveiled a revised Exige S for the European marketplace that features a Lotus Evora S-derived 3.5-liter supercharged V-6 producing 345 hp—nearly 100 more horsepower than the Exige S260. It appears the Europeans won’t get all the fun as Lotus has confirmed with us that the new Exige will be coming stateside as a track-only car featuring full roll cage, racing seats and harness, electrical cut-off switch, et cetera and will be priced in the area of $85,000–$90,000.

Despite being 300 pounds heavier than its predecessor, the new Exige S is expected to get to 60 mph from a stop in as little as 3.8 seconds and hit a top speed around 170 mph. This is a few ticks of the stopwatch faster in the zero-to-60-mph time and a massive 20 mph faster in top speed compared to the outgoing car. In addition, the car also features a Dynamic Performance Management (DPM) system with three distinct driving modes: Touring, Sport, and stability control off. We also anticipate the Race Pack function to come stateside, offering a launch control system and optimized track-suspension setting for better traction out of corners.
Original article: 2012 Lotus Exige to come to U.S. as track car for $85?$90K

2005 Lotus Elise - ForcedFed 340, now at 15 psi and needing dyno for results.
2002 Ford Focus SVT - 4.6L V8 RWD conversion, twice the cylinders and half the sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:40 AM

I heard the same thing from a salesman in Ron Tonkin's last week, so it must be true.

The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 AM

Cool, but what class will it be eligible for?

That is what I want to know.

awesome joe ↔ driver
awesome joe racing
facebookyoutubeemailthe car

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:01 AM

Lotus might as well do this. Hope to see one next track day.

Richard

'13 Scion FR-S (Whiteout)
'07 Lotus Exige S (Aspen White) Touring, Traction, Starshield
'95 Miata (Montego Blue)
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeprfocus View Post
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.
I think it was ..............

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157...5/#post1670548

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Joe View Post
Cool, but what class will it be eligible for?

That is what I want to know.
It's own class in LCUSA...

Lotus Cup USA | Series Director | www.lotuscupusa.us
Montinola Racing | www.montinola.com
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 01:44 AM

Well that sucks. Price is way too high anyways*. But not being able to get it federal is another strike.

So the Evora is the only car they are officially selling for a while?

*even at $70K the Exige is a tin can piece of crap for most Americans. $90K would have never been successfull.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 AM

That kind of power will do major damage against Z06's on all but the longest straights!!!
At a price less than the Z06!! So westrock, what could suck about that?? That car would be unstreetable anyway by all but the ballsyest hardcore!!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 02:20 PM

Buy new one, just peel the vin sticker off your old Exige and apply in window. Problem solved.
Like the cops would know the difference lol
Jenna'sEspritTurbo likes this.

http://www.youtube.com/jerusdc
BOE TVS
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn C View Post
Buy new one, just peel the vin sticker off your old Exige and apply in window. Problem solved.
Like the cops would know the difference lol
other than being a federal crime, and that the lawyers will know if someone hits you and is injured... your insurance company will walk away due to fraud, and you will be in a 500k lawsuit...

most people are not willing to expose themselves to the risk. unless you are Deitrich... lol

but otherwise, yea.

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM

I was recently at the Lotus factory and was taken on a test drive in the new exige . We experienced the car on the test track , raining and on street tires . My opinion is the car is an absolute giant killer .
Lateral acceleration - fantastic
Mechanical grip - fantastic
The car feels very balanced and crisp around the turns .
Having owned several hi end sports cars including the stradale , gallardo, 996tt x 50 and a host of others the straight line acceleration is better in the exige than all of the ones I just mentioned .
At 95k fully raced ready it's a no brainer .
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 04:52 PM
BANNED

That vehicle just made my want to have list.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 AM

Car looks great but at $100k I think it's a tough sell. I would rather see myself in a barely used 911 GT3 RS for the same price and then I could drive it on the street as well. And if I wanted a race car you can buy GT3 cup cars at that price (or cheaper) all day long. Does this car come with a roll cage? Anything race-specific about it or is just the street version from Europe?

2009 Exige S 260; Ardent Red

Previously
2006 Exige; polar blue metallic; track pack; t/c; lsd; stage 2: sold
1996 BMW M3 dedicated track car: sold
1988 BMW M3 race car: sold
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:41 AM

This is apparently no-news news. The way I understand it, you can bring in these cars without the help of the factory. Buy it in Europe, file the race-car papers with the Feds, and have it shipped. Is Lotus going to deliver it to your dealer for free and then give you a warranty?
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
This is apparently no-news news. The way I understand it, you can bring in these cars without the help of the factory. Buy it in Europe, file the race-car papers with the Feds, and have it shipped. Is Lotus going to deliver it to your dealer for free and then give you a warranty?
I would assume that it would be similar to the Cup 255 and 2-Eleven - no warranty, standard destination fee. So you are right. All this saves you from is dealing with an overseas dealer and all the import paperwork.

2005 Lotus Elise - 2012 FIAT 500 Abarth
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 03:19 PM

2012 Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXEight View Post
I would assume that it would be similar to the Cup 255 and 2-Eleven - no warranty, standard destination fee. So you are right. All this saves you from is dealing with an overseas dealer and all the import paperwork.
It appears that DRB Wil want to make Lotus a money
Maker. If so they need to start making cars that not only conform to world wide regulations but also try and produce them in larger numbers so that they can sell at competitive pricing. At 90k this will sell to hard core middle class to the very wealthy. I would love to be able to drive my car to the track then drive it home. Even if it's cramped for a guy that is 6'1" and 198lbs!
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 04:37 PM

Iwould love to take one for a few laps but at $100K I doubt I would think of buying one. Too much competition at that price range!

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 04:53 PM

Garage
: For $100k I would pass on it. I am also of the mind set of drive it to my destination do as I please with the car and drive it home. Also what about a spirited drive here and there??? How can I do that with a $100k that can only legally sit in the garage as I can't insure it, license it, let alone...if I get pulled over it goes to the impound yard.

I agree...mass produce the V-6 exige so that I can afford it...personally the exige "convertible"...like the wing/hardtop edition, but prefer the ability to "drop the top" when I please.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Import?

We will never get the 2013 street Exige S in this country, but why can't you import it? It used to be all overseas cars were specially imported. Can this still be done? I know our fuel is a little different so the ECU may need some tweaking, but that new Exige S is a must have.. any ideas?

'05 "Starlight" black on "Biscuit" (tan) Lotus Elise with stage II exhaust
'09 Ford F-150 Super Crew FX-4 with 6" lift and many mods
'98 Civic EX manual trans sedan
'12 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0V6
'14 Ford Focus ST
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 06:58 PM

^ From what I heard you CAN import it across the pond, But only to be used as a track car.
In another thread of the same topic, I heard someone already in the States has done so. Either has it on order still or has in his/her possession
Just like older Lotuses that don't meat the requirements for transport. You cannot import them for road usage. It has to be determined that will be used for 'off-road' purposes and never to be registered.

SIMPLE RECIPE FOR EXCITEMENT: Take 1 new Exige. Throw in a supercharger. Add 6 gears. A dash of 94 Octane. A sprinkle of carbon fiber inside and out. Toss in 1 MadMan. And finally heat tires and pavement to taste. Recipe produces 1 Lotus Exige S-260 and full satisfaction. Hammer Down!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in