V6 Exige coming to US as track car - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan Markiss View Post
^ From what I heard you CAN import it across the pond, But only to be used as a track car.
In another thread of the same topic, I heard someone already in the States has done so. Either has it on order still or has in his/her possession
Just like older Lotuses that don't meat the requirements for transport. You cannot import them for road usage. It has to be determined that will be used for 'off-road' purposes and never to be registered.
Yeah I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info, as depressing as it is.

'05 "Starlight" black on "Biscuit" (tan) Lotus Elise with stage II exhaust
'09 Ford F-150 Super Crew FX-4 with 6" lift and many mods
'98 Civic EX manual trans sedan
'12 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0V6
'14 Ford Focus ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
100K is cheap fro a race preped car, roll cage, fire system, race seats, harness, buffled oil pan, (that is $3,600 alone from Lotus), double adjust shocks. Even Ford sells a preped Mustang for 150k

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 02:35 PM

Every time I see a new post on this thread, I check it hoping Lotus has finally pulled it's head out of it's a## but I'm always disappointed. When I head to Florida for the LOG, I'm going to stop in at the Porsche dealership in Fort Myers. My buddy the Porschefile says it's time to grow up and buy a real sportscar so it looks like a 911 in my stocking for Christmas. (like the Janis Joplin song, my friends really do "all drive Porsche's" so I guess "I must make amends.")

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 PM

how much work could it possibly be to get it legal in states?

things like this make me nervous about having to register my atom next month... but hopefully no BS.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post

things like this make me nervous about having to register my atom next month... but hopefully no BS.

post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 AM

Garage
^
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post

Letís see the engine and meet emissions as itís the same as the Evora S but safety equipment has stumped Lotus on the Elise and Exige so where are you going to get the US complainant airbags. a a crash test or two. so >> 80k for car x 3 plus conversion assuming it worls the first time. 250 - 260k maybe.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
100K is cheap fro a race preped car, roll cage, fire system, race seats, harness, buffled oil pan, (that is $3,600 alone from Lotus), double adjust shocks. Even Ford sells a preped Mustang for 150k
problem is I imported a 13-hour Radical SR8 for less than this and I can pretty much promise it is way faster than anythign but the Lotus F1 car thingy.

They should look into somthing like Rossion and do a component car.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 AM

My dealer had one this summer the green demo its very fast indeed sounds amazing gear shift is much better than the Evora. but deliveries over here are very late and people who have paid deposits are getting a bit frustrated as deliveries were due now, but its definitely worth waiting for they are going to arrive just a bit late patience !! .
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 AM

The new Exige S is touted as the best Lotus ever made and we can't buy it for street use, that is a bummer.As far as the suggestion to take the VIN off another car it will work untill you get into an accident and then you go to jail.The red flag will be the V 6 when it should have a 4. I am still happy with my 2011 Elise SC and really don't know what other car to get that would be as much fun as this.
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 PM

Or I suppose you can import one over here and start swapping over every single part. The tub is still the same right? You'd have to register the engine swap, but I know in some states that isn't a big issue.

2011 Lotus Elise SC Final Edition 15 of 15 - Ardent Red
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 09:37 AM

the front tub i do believe is the elige platform, but rear subframe and suspension is supposedly almost completely evora.

2006 Aspen White Elise. LSS, LSD, Traction control, LS Toe Link Brace, LS Ohlins DA, Rota 15/16's, BOE surge tanks and Sector 111 Gpan2, Red leather, JL speakers all around with Acapulco MP54, CF dash top, gas shock opening rear deck, multi-vex mirros and replaced rear-view mirror with kit off this forum.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:40 PM

Could always just transplant the engine and install the suspension etc. good custom suspension and properly tuning it wil get you where you want to be anyhow. Engine swaps are not illegal after all as long as the engine is as new or newer than the chassis.

You may not have the electronics but I think it'd be just fine without them. Monkey wrench racing has already done this swap.
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalberg View Post
the front tub i do believe is the elige platform, but rear subframe and suspension is supposedly almost completely evora.
This is incorrect. The chassis, subframes and suspension is all unique to the Exige S and not carried over from an existing Lotus model.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plackslayer View Post
LOL

post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 08:08 AM
boxerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kverges View Post
problem is I imported a 13-hour Radical SR8 for less than this and I can pretty much promise it is way faster than anythign but the Lotus F1 car thingy.

They should look into somthing like Rossion and do a component car.
The sr8 will pretty much smoke anything on track, but you have to be able to drive to that level, and able to handle the Gs, maintanace ona radical is also in another orbit.

The V6Cup handles like a porche Gt3 or Miata spec racer with power closer to the GT3. Its Turn key, and similar to an elise in that daily track consumables are on the order of $500 as opposed to 2k for a porche.

The toyota engine is pretty much bullet proof and serious mecahnical maintance should not be an issue for 10-20K track miles. You simply cant do that with a radical or full on race car which are far more mainyance intensive with engine rebuilds measured in seasons.

Yes its a geat pity you cant drive these on street, for while an elsie is luxury in comparison, the drive experience on road is most akin to a 997Gt3 except better more viceral and more responsive.

Lotus should do the componant car route here, even if it means you cant have a full cage to be street lagal.

The good part about not being street lagal is you tow to the track, run slicks, everything is track optimised from springs shocks alignemnt ride height etc. Its hard to have a car that can dance properly both track and street, in my experince you have to choose.

So yes you can buy a track car for the same or less, but I dont belive you can get a similar track car with the same performance for less, that is also turn key and so maintanance lite. Time is a big factor and acar that needs only fluid changes to run 10-15 track days is pretty special, even then othr off season maintanace is basicaly pads maybe plugs and rotors every few years. in that sense nothing comes close. It also feels very much like a track car on track.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 01:56 AM
BANNED

Can't wait
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:02 AM

Garage
There's been a Cup car here in Vegas for sometime. Somewhere $105k and it can be yours! I wouldn't pay that much for a car I will probably tear up on the track myself but hey some folks have more money than sense.

http://lotusoflasvegas.co/vehicles/l....cfm?itype=New
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 11:45 AM

Garage
I saw a cup car at my local shop in orange. It looks fabulous in person!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New car information, Specs, Demos, Price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in