At last! Progress!
And the delay was down to three things. Bits falling in the setting paint, crappy 30 year old primer and the big one - weather.
In all over the past 4 months of bad weather I had two attempts at the paintwork. The first one I did back in January was at first quite good, however, I had left a couple of spots of old primer on the car and they decided to bubble up. Very annoying and depressing. And expensive.
So all the paintwork came off again and I worked off the bits of primer, and to be honest it was only a couple of small bits, and tried again. Success!
I painted it in two halves. The front up to the windscreen pillars one weekend, and from there back another. Then lots and lots and lots of polishing. Black is the worst for this!
Today was decision day though. I wheeled it out to look at it in the daylight and I'm very very happy. If that had failed, I probably would have tried another colour.
A few tips -
Use lots and lots of oil filters in your air-line. I can't stress enough. I went through 4.
In the meantime though, it's not been a completely baron few months. I got the bumpers rechromed, as too the rear light clusters and the door handles. The front light chromework I got new - was cheaper than getting rechromed ridiculously.
Now that the paintwork is done, it's the final hurdle. Interior to go back together and bits to get stuck on the outside. The stuff that makes it look complete
Cheerio for now