1974 Europa - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

1974 Europa

I recently found a 1974 Europa Special at a local auto shop in Hanford CA. I saw the car parked outside on my way home from work on Tuesday then saw the car in the shop on Wednesday and Thursday. Friday I had some time so I stopped by the shop to see the car and it was luckily still there. I found the shop owner and he said it was his car. I'm pretty sure he buys and sells cars. Mostly classic Japanese cars as well as some British sports cars. I have seen a number of Triumphs and a few MGs outside the shop. The owner told me it was an all original car with 25,000 miles on it. Original paint with a few nicks and scratches. The leather seats looked a little dry and the drivers seat one seam was split. The paint had a little bit of a gloss to it. I didn't see any spider webbing or major damage just some nicks in the paint. I think a little touch up and a cut and buff and the paint would look brilliant. The car seemed to be intact and un-molested. The shop owner said the car had been sitting in a garage for 30 years. It was last registered in 1992 so that maybe a true story. He told me it runs and drives. They just did a full service on the brakes. If I wasn't a hideous color I would be very tempted to buy the car. Since its original paint and looks pretty good a re-spray and color change for me is out of the question. I asked what he was asking for it and he did not give me a number said he needed to re-search it some to come up with a number. He gave me his business card and told me I should come up with a number that would make him sell the car. I snapped a few pictures with my phone so I could post them here.

Maybe someone here is looking for an all original low miles Colorado Orange Europa Special. If it was any color but Orange I would be working to gather funds to buy it.
Attached Images

06 Polar Blue Elise. Touring pack black leather interior, Race View mirrors, micro mirror, alarm antenna mod, bootie, BOE QS Exhaust, improved stereo, and BOE REV400 supercharger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 04:23 PM

Garage
Orange might grow on you. Easy for other motorists to see. We have three orange vehicles now.

Thanks for sharing this. A nice find.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:37 AM

How much?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:38 AM

I should read better. Id be interested if you have contact info.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 10:15 AM

Garage
These cars have really grown on me. The front is easy to love. The back half still looks off to me, but I'm learning to like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiGuy View Post
How much?
Since this is not a for sale thread, we can speculate! I'm curious what folks feel a car like this should actually go for. I see a couple of them on Ebay now that are mostly original. One is in better paint and interior condition and listed for $35K, the other is around $10k. Kind of a large range, there.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:56 AM

I have a 1973 Twin cam special that has original paint also in tawny brown and shines like a mirror but has the usual spider cracks in it. I have been told it be worth about $21-25,000 here and in England about $28-$35 there. My car has taken First and several runner spots to Shelby Cobras, 1950 Mercedes and several top 10 at shows here in South Texas. Maybe this will give you an idea what it could be worth.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 02:02 AM

Buy it from the shop. Looks pretty good compared to the ones I've bought. Nice starting point to make a great Europa. Its only gonna cost more the longer you hesitate and others show interest. If you have never owned one you won't regret it once you drive it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Other Lotus Models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in