Engine Lotus Europa S2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Engine Lotus Europa S2

Hi Guys,

can someone tell me something about the engine in the enclosed picture?

Itīs from a lotus Europa S2 - the car should be delivered to Germany but has a federal VIN. Normaly the S2 had 1470ccm Renault engine for Europe or the 1565ccm for Federal but all used engines didnīt had a crossflow layout. The one in the pic should be a Renault type too but I donīt know definetely which one. As I read there where different changes common for example the type 807 or 843 but all pictures I found in the net for these had two carburetors - I think this one has only one? (just a guess from the pic) So would be great if someone could tell me anything about the shown engine cause I think of buying the car maybe...

Many thanks!
Calavera
Attached Images

Last edited by Calavera; 05-01-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 AM

I am far from an expert on the Renault engines. Actually, I know very little about them. You are correct that (at least as far as I know) all Renault engines fitted to Europas were non cross flow. However, modifying the Renault engine to crossflow spec was common. The Renault engine is very light (lighter than the Lotus/Ford Twincam engine), and with proper mods, including a crossflow head, could easily make more power than the Twincam. I don't know if the crossflow head automatically assumes Gordini parts and assemblies, but it would be worth a google for Gordini to see if more can be learned, especially if you plan to modify your Renault engine, or maintain a Gordini modified engine.

Hopefully someone with proper knowledge of the Renault and Gordini engines chimes in here to give you more solid information.

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in its proportion.
- Sir Francis Bacon
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bainford! Well - the car is a realative early S2 with only one tank and a black badge. Because I think about buying this one it would be great to know something more about the the engine - for example if it was just modified or completly changed. And if changed which one was planted in? I donīt want to find out that it is just a original Renault16 engine with just 60bhp or something like that...

The actual owner got the car just as is and donīt know anything about engines or any changes...

I could find only one pic in the net with a layout like the shown (reg. air filter and carb.) and nothing was mentioned about the changes and the power which was applied there... I donīt disslike modifications - WHEN they are of their time and NOT dangerous for the engine...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 04:07 AM

Hi,
it's not possible to know something about the specifications of this engine, without seeing the plate with the engine number or opening it...
The 1565cc and 1647cc engines look the same from the outside. The only thing, which seems clear is that it is no 1470cc engine, because there were no crossflow-head for this engine made (as far as I know).
And the carbs can be changed easily. I think you don't find many pics of an crossflow-engine with single carb, because double carbs are used to make the engine more powerfull. (Im Klartext: Wenn sich jemand schon die Mühe macht und den besseren Zylinderkopf kauft, dann holt er sich meist auch Doppel-Vergaser dazu, um noch etwas mehr Leistung rauszuholen. Der Querstromkopf mit den normalen Vergasern wäre dann "halber Kram". Darum findet man wohl selten Bilder von dieser Konfiguration.)

I think, it would be the best to visit the owner and have a closer look at this car. What kind of car are you searching for? An original one or one with a "better performance"?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 04:11 AM
www.theapexinn.com

Jut a few words of advice ( speaking from experience !!! )....DON'T do an engine swap !!!! Rebuild & modify the engine that's already IN it !!! Believe me, it'll cost you a LOT less in the long run !!!

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Hi Mecky - we know each other from the german lotus forum right ;-)

So - an engine upgrade would be no problem for me if it is "of itīs time" I donīt want to have an 20XX engine in an 1969 car. The one which is now in the car should definetly be one of its time - but it should furthermore not be weaker then the original one so I try to find out a little bit more. Well based on your comments the car has further potential to bring a little bit more power out when used double-carbs... thats nice to know.

Greets
Calavera
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 AM

Engine appears to be from a Renault R17. Common & easy swap for the S2 Europa.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel74 View Post
Jut a few words of advice ( speaking from experience !!! )....DON'T do an engine swap !!!! Rebuild & modify the engine that's already IN it !!! Believe me, it'll cost you a LOT less in the long run !!!
I agree with this. The Renault is a good engine and ahead of it's time with aluminum block and a Hemi head if you have the Gordini. I've seen people turbo this engine with a mild boost (10 psi) and have a very fun car to drive. As mentioned above the Renault engine is lighter and arguably more reliable than the twin cam.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM

A cross flow engine is definitely preferable to the original engine in the S2. The condition of the engine would be the most important consideration. If it's ok, then you would have a great engine for an S2.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 01:58 PM

It is Renault R17 Gordini cross-flow motor. I know since it's the same as mine.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 04:58 PM

Is the car a type 54 or 65? Just curiosity, I much prefer the 54's with tow headlamp/suspension.

Yes, appears to be a R17. I have a Turbo cross flow Renault that I sold to a guy (with 5-speed) a LONG time ago.

2005 Elise, nightfall blue gone, unfortunately--2005 Ducati Multistrada, custom-- OSSA Explorer 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Other Lotus Models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in