This Europa is in a junkyard near me - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

This Europa is in a junkyard near me

This post was originally about a junkyard find. A few here had the problem of confusing the words "Thank you" with "What's the big secret."

After being met with such overwhelming appreciation, I made a decision and called the junkyard, telling them the car had been posted on an international forum and they should carefully weigh the value of it before just dumping it. I pointed out to them that this model was near extinct and could command a decent price from an interested buyer.

Big smooches...

Last edited by wdonovan; 09-09-2015 at 04:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 05:35 PM

Garage
So sad to see. But let's face it. These cars were loved but the level of skill, cash, patience and determination it took to keep them going almost always exceeded these resources of the owner. Many, after repeated failed attempts to fix them, wound up just whereever they could sit until the magical day that a way was found to have the cash and skilled hands to mend them.

Not that it was impossible, many have been maintained well including the fantastic example we kept for a while. But they are fragile and it takes Love to keep 'em right.

And most all cars eventually have this fate. At some point it just costs more to keep them going than to just have a nice newer car.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:42 AM

Series 1 1/2? My dream start for a salt flats car.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 04:55 AM

Where is this located?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 06:38 AM

Is there some secret bout its location?

looks like an S1
would be a labor of love to bring it back to running

why not just give its location and hope someone sees it and goes and does something with it
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldster View Post
Is there some secret bout its location?

looks like an S1
would be a labor of love to bring it back to running

why not just give its location and hope someone sees it and goes and does something with it
True enough, but you could just PM him as he asked...

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
looks like an S1
It's an S2 judging by the side windows. S1 side windows were 1 piece and removable. S2 are 2 piece with the main portion electric lift.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

P.S. This would be a huge undertaking to restore...

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 01:26 PM
BDA

Quote:
P.S. This would be a huge undertaking to restore...
Hopefully somebody takes on the responsibility for putting another Europa on the road!

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Last edited by wdonovan; 09-08-2015 at 08:06 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 04:26 AM
Absolute power does what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdonovan View Post
@oldster - Why the accusatory remarks "Is there some secret bout its location?" I saw this car and posted it here, thinking that maybe someone in the forums may want it or need parts. And this is what I get??????? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU??? I don't actually know the official name of this junkyard and didn't want to waste my time researching if no one was interested but now I guess I have to google it up and post it here so idiots like "oldster" will shut the hell up. Thanks, moron.

Oh yeah, to ward off the next attack READ THIS DISCLAIMER.... I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH THIS BUSINESS. I only posted this to be a nice guy. Man you have pissed me off. Here's the name of the shop:
Cosmos
Bayville NJ
COSMOS Recycled Auto Parts

Buy now
@wdonovan You really need to calm down here, @oldster didn't attack you or act rudely to you in anyway. He simply asked why the secret to it's location and while you might not like that question he didn't act in a negative way at all. Not sure why you freaked out over his post but you're massively overreacting to what was a simple question. If you didn't like his tone for some reason, etc. that doesn't give you the right to lash out like this. You could have simply replied with the information you did about spending time Googling, etc. without acting as you did calling him names, etc.

So let's all take a chill-pill here and get back on topic, okay?

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 05:39 AM

Wow

I have been a Lotus owner for over 30 years and have been involved in Lotus internet forums for as long as there have been Lotus internet forums.

If I wished to call you out, trust me, I know how.

I was not calling you out for anything. All accusations are strictly in your imagination

You have no location listed, so this could be in my backyard or Arkansas or Saskatchewan

As to my post, you realize there are actually reasons that one might not want to post a location, like the owner is a freakin lunatic and you need to warn a person, but maybe posting that the owner is a lunatic on a public forum is a bad idea.

Being in the Lotus world long enough one realizes that a car such as this could be there for another 10 years at which point PMing you is futile[because postings on the internet are forever] or the guy may grab it with a front end loader and toss it in a dumpster tomorrow, in which case waiting for a return PM till you get back from your hike in the Sierras is too long.

Some decades ago I was up at a tiny local junkyard and noticed a familiar engine, a Renault Gordini. I quickly went and posted to the Lotus Cars mailing list and gave its exact location and a guy had it home 2 days later. junkyard had no idea what they had, would probably have scrapped it if not for quick action

That is how I chose to deal with a similar situation, just for reference.

Oh, and thanks for the negative seller rating, were I that type of jerk, I would return the favor, but you are not worth my while
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:13 PM

Well, anyway to be back on topic and although the pics are gone it had the single wiper, no door handles and lack of turn signals, I would have to see the taillights to be sure

IT does make a difference because an S1 might actually be desirable enough to be worth restoring.

I think they are the prettiest of them, with lower fenders, one really has to see S1/S2 TC together to notice the change in the fender line as well as the jacked up suspension
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 03:43 AM

I'm going to take my ball and go home!

Power doesn't have to show off. Power is confident, self-assuring, self-starting and self-stopping, self-warming, and self-justifying. When you have it, you know it.
- Ralph Ellison
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdonovan View Post
This post was originally about a junkyard find. A few here had the problem of confusing the words "Thank you" with "What's the big secret."

After being met with such overwhelming appreciation, I made a decision and called the junkyard, telling them the car had been posted on an international forum and they should carefully weigh the value of it before just dumping it. I pointed out to them that this model was near extinct and could command a decent price from an interested buyer.

Big smooches...
Wow. Just wow....
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 09:19 AM
give me my second cam!

I want that Europa!

05 Saffron yellow,LSS ,hard top and nothing else! 91 Mazda Miata se British racing green with hard top
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 04:29 AM

Well the OP does deserve thanks, both for ensuring that the car does not end up in the dumpster and displaying his true nature if any of us had any plans on interacting with him.
I personally expect anyone I do business with to know the value of what they have, so no harm no foul.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
I'm going to take my ball and go home!

And leave a black mark for a person who does not deserve it.

I suppose mine is next.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 07:51 AM

Well I disputed it and it disappeared so in the end no big deal.

people is funny
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Well I disputed it and it disappeared so in the end no big deal.

people is funny
It has been taken care of.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 10:31 AM

I'm thinking maybe this whole thread should be 'taken care of'.......doesn't hold a lot of meaning at this point..........except for the address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Other Lotus Models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in