Ever had an Eclat? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
View Poll Results: Do you now, or have you ever, owned an Eclat?
Yes 10 23.26%
No 33 76.74%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanG View Post
I believe that there are a few of these running around with V8 power. That would make it a super cool car.
There was a seventies Elite with a Rover V8 in our parts years ago. Unfortunately it was lost in a shop fire along with 13 other cars including a comp-prepped Europa Series 1.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 01:43 PM

I have one! It's yellow, and living in my garage. It's a 1975, 520, sitting on 13" mag wheels. The interior is complete, but a mess. The engine apparently runs, but I've been removing all the superfluous vacuum lines and hoses. The air box will be ****canned and in its place ,perhaps a couple of smaller air cleaners. It's got strombergs. It has the 4 speed which makes me happy because I hear a lot of grief about the 5 speeds. I've flushed out the gas tank and attempting to replumb the fuel lines to the carbs in order to start it. I believe there may be some heater issues, so have removed the lines to the heater and blocked them off from the block. I intend only to use this in fair weather- in a boy racer style. I might end up tearing out the back seats and just go with the two front ones. The body is in great shape, but needs paint. Question: can I remove the foam on the bumpers ( federal style) and will it leave me with the euro style behind it?
To sum up, I quite like the car, great lines, sort of a cheap exotic! I know they have warts, but what car doesn't? ( don't answer that). I believe they will become quite collectable someday, but right now, for me, it's the right car!!
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subungal View Post
I've been removing all the superfluous vacuum lines and hoses. The air box will be ****canned and in its place ,perhaps a couple of smaller air cleaners. It's got strombergs.
Most of the superfluous vacuum hoses have something to do with emissions equipment. Even if you live in an area where passing an annual emissions inspection isn't a requirement, your future sell market will be limited if the car won't pass emissions.

The engine will breathe better through the stock airbox than it will through a pair of open K&N filters. The under-bonnet air temperature gets quite high, the open K&Ns are just sucking in hot air, and that hurts performance. The stock airbox actually breathes quite well, includes a inlet flex-duct that draws cool air from forward of the radiator bulkhead, and K&N sells a direct-fit flat panel filter replacement (33-2784) that is a dimensional clone for the OEM filter. It's best to stay stock with a K&N replacement filter.
Quote:
It has the 4 speed which makes me happy because I hear a lot of grief about the 5 speeds.
Second gear is the Lotus-Maxi 5-speed's Achille's Heel. Teeth pop off, and I've got one like that now. The 4-speed is really buzzy at freeway speeds, and the overdrive 5th makes a big difference. I've pondered converting to the later Getrag 5-spd, but it would take some custom fabrication to the chassis. If I'm going to do that, I'm thinking a modern 6-spd would make the effort more worhtwhile.
Quote:
Question: can I remove the foam on the bumpers ( federal style) and will it leave me with the euro style behind it?
The Federal bumpers are self-skinning foam. The surface skin that forms is very thin and soft, and would not hold it's shape if you were to remove the foam from behind it. And no, there is no Euro bumper hiding inside. Remove the foam, and there is nothing inside that would be cosmetically pleasing.
Quote:
I believe they will become quite collectable someday, but right now, for me, it's the right car!!
Invest in the car because you like it, and enjoy driving it; but don't think for a moment that it will make a profit for you, or even return your investment when you sell. The Elite and Eclat just have not enjoyed the popularity of some of the other Lotus models. Individuals like us enjoy them, but the broader market has pretty much forgotten them.

Regards,
Tim Engel

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 09:46 AM

Thanks, Tim, I will follow your advice. I'll clean up the bumpers that are not too bad anyways! I'll rethink the air box situation too. The emission lines will be there if someone wants to reconnect them. I appreciate your help!!!
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 06:32 AM

the yellow Beauty above features all epoches of the Eclat/Excel:

A S1 Eclat with S2 rear bumper, front spoiler, Riviera bonnet, LC rear Spoiler, wheels and MY86 rear spats this all combined with federal lighting. You cant get more out of it

"Always look on the light side of life"
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 07:23 AM

And it has a hotrod 2.2 liter engine.

Regards,
Tim Engel
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanG View Post
I believe that there are a few of these running around with V8 power. That would make it a super cool car.
I used to own one, and it was an automatic! To be honest while whoever did the conversion did a reasonable job it wasn't the best driver as it got to 100 very quickly then ran out of revs due to the V8 having a lower red line, here are a few pics:
Attached Images

post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 07:05 AM

Garage
Several Eclat(Elite) project cars - no connection - just passing info on

1977 Lotus Eclat (Elite) 3

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 08:09 PM

Garage
yep and no

I bought an eclat on ebay two years ago over Christmas. I won the auction, paid with paypal and with the holidays and busy schedule never picked it up.

About three months later I had lost the guys contact info and never got the car :-)

So he sold me the car, got paid, and probably sold it again... My fault, my loss..

1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1991 Lotus Elan M100
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 08:33 PM

Should be able to resolve that or at least get his contact info through PayPal.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 12:05 PM

Hi Guys

I am new here, i am not from the USA but from the Netherlands,
i am just turned 28 years old, and i have a rare car,

the eclat S1 is build till 1980, then the S2 arrived
the S2 is build till 1982, so only 2 years,
into its final year the car has a rare option, its Called Riviera,
there are 80 cars build, and the change was:

= boot lid
= front bonnet
= and ofcourse the take out roof from the factory

and all options are on the car, (airco, full leather, power-assisted steering)
so there are 80 build, but only (around) 10 Left Hand Drive cars, (LHD)
so thats rare!

i own a very orginal LHD Lotus Eclat Riviera LHD automatic,
there is only one automatic Riviera build 1 of the 10 LHD cars and thats mine,

pictures show how orginal the car is:

(IT HAS NOW A NEW EXHAUST SYSTEEM)

(pssstt... it comes for sale and i have good contacts for shipping did it many times before a automatic will be a good car in the USA...)
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 01:01 PM

No, but I just bought this

I am awaiting arrival.
Attached Images

Don.Hasi likes this.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 12:53 PM

I had an Eclat with Rover V8 and a Tremec 5 speed that I bought off eBay, drove home to Colorado from New Hampshire with a stop in Lime Rock for the vintage races. I got it back home and found I couldn't get it past the CO emissions test, not because it put out too much HC or Carbon Monoxide but because it didn't have the homologated emissions air pump or catalytic converter. If I could have converted it to EFI with later Rover parts, I might have gotten it through under an engine swap with later controls exemption, but there wasn't enough clearance under the bonnet for the EFI plenum and I didn't want to fuss with it anymore so it went back on eBay.

While I had it though, it was a hoot! It sounded like a NASCAR stocker and pulled like one too. The A/C didn't work and some electrical stuff so I could only use it on cool spring and fall days or the occasional cold snap in summer without heat prostration. I do miss it a bit though...sigh.
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 08:59 AM

Just a word of support for the Eclat, it is the Cinderella of the range and so remains cheap to buy, mine is a 1978 which was the Lotus development car. It was used by them for a couple of years and then issued to a company employee. It was bought by another company man who kept it until 3 years ago when I bought it from him.
It has a few nice features, the first Riviera roof, boot spoiler and other Mk 2 details. The gearbox is a close ratio ZF. No air on.
The dash is totally non standard.
Like all Eclats in the UK it was painted white when made but the company resprayed it in metallic blue.
It is a great car to drive and a friend of mile who,works on Lotus cars for a job, says it is the best everyday model of them all
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 09:34 AM

A 1978 Riviera? Unbelievable please show some pictures. And how is your VIN? Very interesting story!

"Always look on the light side of life"
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 04:19 AM

I owned a 1980 metallic blue Eclat in the late '90's. Very nice car as I recall but the interior bits were very flimsy and the engine was pretty hard to keep in tune. I decided to convert to Rover V8 and had all the adapter plates and motor mounts fabricated before finding a Turbo Esprit that I wanted more. Sold the unmolested Eclat to a friend.

BUT - for those who are interested, here's your chance to buy a very nice looking survivor:

Lotus Eclat Classic | eBay
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:32 AM

Just bought one

Loving it
Attached Images

Don.Hasi likes this.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 03:44 PM

I just bought one. 1979 Sprint.

My apologizes on the photos. They were take the day I took possession of the car. It does run and drive though!
Attached Images

post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 03:46 PM

A few more photos.
Attached Images

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 09:58 PM
zlx

Hi Peter

Nice car! Hope it has a working A/C (Tucson ;-)

Everyone else with those cars: very brave men! (I own an Elite...)

In my opinion, they are not as unreliable as their reputation! Depends all on maintenance. They were always cheap to buy, but need some attention and maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Other Lotus Models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in