Tonight I made a bit more progress. Got the valve cover on; tried the "slow tighten" trick. It's interesting because you can feel the difference in compression every 30 mins when you go to tighten it a little more. You tighten until they're all snug, then 30 mins later they're slightly loose feeling when you go to tighten them again.
I also replaced the pink zip ties that were on the plug wires to mark which plug wire went to which cylinder. I put green zip ties on which are kind of like British Racing Green. I may change them to black later on, or even gold if I can find some gold ones. At any rate these look a lot better than pink!
I just wish the engine had been grey instead of Fisher-Price blue. But, since I don't feel like pulling the engine just to paint the stupid thing, I'll just have to live with it. At any rate, the engine compartment certainly looks better than when I started!
I have a replacement hose to replace the one connected to the thermostat housing, so that's next and I think I'll pull the thermostat housing, check the thermostat, replace it if necessary, and strip the blue paint off the housing and either polish it as a natural aluminum or paint it grey.
Test drive tomorrow; hopefully there aren't any leaks around the valve cover!