All of your hard work is paying off. The engine compartment is looking great. Painting the cam cover made a world of difference. So much so that I'm thinking of stripping the factory black crinkle finish from mine and painting it matt black similar to yours. My thermostat housing looks almost as bad as yours did; think I'm going to try grinding and polishing to improve its looks. My alternator just bit the dust, so I get to rebuild it. Going to give that a bit of a polish, too, since it's apart.
I haven't posted much in this thread, but I've been watching each update with interest (ditto TheKid#9 and his project). The experiments with gauge panel lighting is particularly interesting. My computer is in the garage near my Europa. Reading the Europa activity on here during my breaks is inspiring, and sometimes feels like I'm working alongside fellow lotus projects. Keep up the good work. Cheers.
Yeah I guess this is a pretty exclusive club to be in; people restoring a Europa. Glad to have the fellowship!
I took ownership of a europa just days before you started this thread. I have enjoyed reading and watching the progress you've made. great work on the car!
I am very limited in budget, space and time, however i will have much to be proud of if my car turns out half as nice as yours.
Thank you, very nice of you to say so! Just take your project in small steps; over time, you'll see it all start to come together.
Speaking of small steps....
I took apart the front running lights, cleaned them, cleaned the connections, put 303 on the rubber seals (which were in pretty good shape; the 303 made them look like new). Put the incandescent bulbs back in the tach and speedo, and pulled the car out for a drive.
Here's a shot of the dash with the engine running and the incandescents back in the tach and speedo.
I also removed the front hood, cleaned the hinge bolts and replaced the rubber discs that were between the hood and the body. Put a small amount of grease on the rubber grommet that the hood brace fits into and....voila! The squeaks in the front are gone! When doing a test drive the car was the quietest it's been and ran pretty well.
The suspension still needs to be properly aligned and the engine/carbs need tuning but the car is steadily getting better and better.
I'm going to try some local shops here in town to see what kind of price I can get for getting the interior redone. The body and paint however, it looks like I'm going to just have to bite the bullet and spend at least $6k to get a quality paint job. That's double what I had originally anticipated (shows how long it's been since I've done anything like this) but that's apparently the way it is now.