Unique '73 Europa - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By BondoRobert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Unique '73 Europa

A long time customer of mine has brought her '73 back to me for a new life. She is the original owner. Got it Virginia and drove to Cal. and stayed there for 3 yrs. This is where story gets interesting. When I first started maintaining this car for her 15 yrs. ago. She told me she gave her car to some Italian guy who would install a sunroof for her. He had the car for 2 yrs. while he developed the sunroof. Once it was done she came back to Mass. She wanted to leave Cali a year sooner but had no car. Car has never had a radio. Must've been a boring drive to/from Cali. When I asked her if the Italian guy was named Claudius, she said yes and wondered how I knew. I told her I been doing Lotus since '78 and heard of Claudius sunroofs but never seen one. It appears her car was the development conversion mule. How cool. The sunroof is done very well, fits nice and actually is water tight. Not possible to have the roof off and take a passenger, it only fits in the passenger seat. The car is titled as a '73 TC Special but has a vin prior to all 3 of my '72 TC Europas. It does not have a Special dash. Oddly it has a 336 model tranny not the 352 as all mine had. The driver door ID plaque has a unique small tag riveted to the door below the ID plaque that states the VIN number does not denote year of manufacture. I immediately felt this tag was phony but the font is exact as the ID plaque. I've heard stories that Lotus had a pile of Europas in the back lot and as they sold them they grabbed the closest one, not from the back as you would expect. Car has been sitting for 6 yrs. and she has gotten a bit older and larger since last drive. Had her get in my Exige couple days ago and she had bitch of a time getting out. I think she knows her Lotus days might be over but cannot accept it. Car is not for sale. Its gonna end in my collection for safe keeping. I'll post some photos of car shortly.
glb, Turbopun, REKIII and 1 others like this.

Last edited by BondoRobert; 08-24-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Other Lotus Models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in