Anyone in Phoenix Area Interested in Showing Off Their Elise? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Anyone in Phoenix Area Interested in Showing Off Their Elise?

Hi, new to the board.

Warning: Long story.....

My wife and I just bought a Subaru BRZ limited MT a few weeks ago.....only to have the car sold out from under us (by a dealer in CA for $7K over MSRP) who was supposed to ship it to us......after giving the local Phx dealer $4200 in cash, trading in our old car and signing all the paperwork.

Turned out to be a blessing in disguise as the BRZ/FRS is having some first year production issues with cam gears and ECUs throwing CEL and exhibiting rough idle.

Which brings us to Lotus. For YEARS I've loved the Elise. The wife has always liked them too and before we bought our Lexus IS250 in 2007, we considered getting one but went with the 'practicality' of 4 doors for those rare times when we have family in town. We also have a Jeep Tj, 4x4 Cummins 3/4T, Toyota 4Runner and a street legal rockbuggy....so we have other vehicles (and only 2 drivers) for when family is in town.

After the deal fell through for the BRZ, we started looking at other options and I just about had her talked into a used Elise....until she found videos online of people trying to get in and out of one.

I'm 6', 216 lbs. I'm not tiny, but I'm not huge either. I'm thinking the Elise may not be very comfortable, but I don't mind sacrificing comfort for performance either.....the rockbuggy is probably just about as small inside (46.5" wide inside).

My wife is concerned that she won't be able to get in and out of the car....it'll likely be a daily driver for her and she's a trooper about performance over comfort as well....so she *may* still be on board if we decide to get an Elise.

The point of my post is to find out if you guys have a local club meeting where she might be able to see your cars and (with proper instruction, of course) sit inside one just to see if it's going to be completely impractical for her to own.

We live in Mesa, and we have somewhat regularly seen a red and an orange Elise around here.....I'm hoping perhaps one of the owners locally will be kind enough to let us take a look.

If that's possible, please post up and we'll arrange a meeting time/place.

Thanks very much for reading.

Take care,
Sean King
Mesa, AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Elise Guru

Sean,

We can find a few minutes to get together to show you my car. We'll be at Tempe Diablo stadium parking lot Saturday for a PCA autocross if you want to stop by. I'll even give you a spin around the autox course so you can see what the car can do. This is our "street" Lotus, not the XP monster.

Cheers,

Fred

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 AM

Sean,
As a note, there are several 6 foot plus people who drive an Elise on the forums. Some have purchased "tall rails" to get a tad more headroom (when they wear helmets).

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
Sean,

We can find a few minutes to get together to show you my car. We'll be at Tempe Diablo stadium parking lot Saturday for a PCA autocross if you want to stop by. I'll even give you a spin around the autox course so you can see what the car can do. This is our "street" Lotus, not the XP monster.

Cheers,

Fred
Fred,

That is one VERY generous offer....I'm super excited about the possibility. Thank you.

However, a very close friend of mine just called last night (guy is like a father and a mentor to me) and needs help on Saturday with calculating the IC, roll axis, anti-squat/dive, roll centers, oversteer/understeer, etc. on the 4 link suspension on a buggy he's building.....I told him I'd be up there (in Wickenburg) at 8:30am on Saturday.

What time would you be at Tempe Diablo Stadium? I may be able to push the time back with my friend.....or make it back down to Tempe in time to meet after going up to Wickenburg to meet my friend.

I live in east Mesa, so it takes me about an hour and a half to get up to his place in Wickenburg.

It all depends on when you are available. I really appreciate the offer and I hope I don't come across as an inconsiderate jerk for asking to see your car and then seemingly dictating terms. That's not my intent, but I've already said I'd help my friend out and I'd like to keep my word if at all possible.

Hope you understand....

Please let me know a time and the wife and I will definitely try to make it. I will also not leave you hanging....once I know the time you'll be there, I'll either commit 100% or tell you it's a no-go for Saturday....that way you're not waiting around for us.

Thanks again. Very kind of you to offer.

Sean
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 AM
www.theapexinn.com

Getting in / out is 100 % technique....( Believe me ! )

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel74 View Post
Getting in / out is 100 % technique....( Believe me ! )
Ya, from the videos I've seen, it seems like stepping in (if you're limber) is easier....but you see a lot of people leading with their rear end.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by addertooth View Post
Sean,
As a note, there are several 6 foot plus people who drive an Elise on the forums. Some have purchased "tall rails" to get a tad more headroom (when they wear helmets).

I searched "tall rails" but only came up with posts about seat rails. I take it these are rails for the soft top that sit higher?

Thanks,
Sean
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Fred,
You never replied about the time and when I looked up autocross for Tempe Diablo for today, I got a website but no time frame.

Justracing Event Calendar

MotorsportReg.com : PCA - Arizona announces Autocross #2 (Sat 20, Oct 2012) info at Tempe Diablo Stadium, Tempe, AZ 85282 (3547)

Arizona Region Porsche Club of America - Home Page

Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to find the time for when the races would start. So....just wanted to let you know if you see the thread that my wife and I won't make it so don't wait around for us or anything.

I sincerely appreciate the offer, and hopefully we can meet up at another time.

Thank you again for being so kind.

Take care,
Sean King
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 09:34 AM

Sean K,
Exactly right.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Bump.....just wondering if anyone is still interested in showing off their Elise and letting my wife try and sit in it.

Thanks,
Sean
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 PM

Sean, If you are willing to meet me half-way in Tucson this Saturday I will be happy to help you out. I live about an hour south and east of Tucson.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:29 PM

Sure

I'm putting a larger fuel tank in this week.....i am in Glendale! Pm me and we can work something out

[B]05 Lotus Elise REV400, Stage II, BWR TB, OBX header, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, Carbon Fiber Spliter, GRP Side Scoops, CF side skirts, , S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, Allitech, CF interior, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam, Light Flywheel, ATI pulley, 2010 Exige Cup mirrors
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Guys, let me get with the wife and find out if she wants to head down to Tucson or over to Glendale. She has a charity walk on Saturday morning.....so I'm not sure how that will factor in.

As soon as I know more, I'll post up.

Thanks so much for the offers.

Sean
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Just spoke to my wife....her walk is going from 8:30a to 1p or so.....so heading to Tucson is going to take too long and be too late in the day.

Addertooth....thanks so much for the kind offer.

lt0302....I'll send a PM about trying to set up a meeting whenever you are available.

Thanks again guys....much appreciated.

Take care,
Sean
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to publicly thank lt0302 for showing us his Elise this evening. He's a heck of a nice guy and his Elise is absolutely sick! It's even better looking in person!

Andy took time to really explain everything about the Elise platform and some of the many mods he's done to his car.....

My wife and I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you, Andy.

Sincerely,
Sean and Stacey King
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Southwest Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in