2005 Multi Function Relay Unit different from other year? Lotus only shows 1 part # - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kickinoutyo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

2005 Multi Function Relay Unit different from other year? Lotus only shows 1 part #

This is even more confusing to me now....
Long story short, I have issue with my Injector not getting power and looking in to MFRU is at fault.
My car is 2005 Elise and my MFRU has blue bottom and expose relays inside the box. (Manufacture TRW part number YWB 100970 2405)
I had spare one from different year car (2006) I believe has black bottom and enclosed relays inside the box. (Manufacture TRW part number YWB 100800 0705)
However, Lotus only has 1 part number for all year Elise and exige! This is very concerning because when I plug in the black color MFRU. Car crank over on it's own and stuck cranking when key was at ignition 'On' position! I had the car in gear and starter launch the car forward and damage the clam. This could have been very dangerous if someone was in front of the car! Not sure why Lotus has two different parts and does not offer any information or warning. Anybody have similar experience?
Attached Images

Ryno likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Well, I just found out that there are two of this unit exist on the car. One in the rear just below ECU and other is located in the front next to Fuse box.
One I swapped in for the engine bay might have been the one form the front. I had no idea there are two of them and they both plug in to front or rear!
This could be very confusing and dangerous!
Weird thing is that I have seen rear MFRU color is also black just like front. I haven't yet to see blue one like the one from my car.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Ok, Did some more digging... For future references...
There is two unit in the car that looks exactly the same except the color.
For the Rear MFRU it's Lotus part number A111M6024F and manufacture part number YWB 100970 (Blue base)
For the Front which it's called fan control unit Lotus part number B117M0038F and manufacture part number YWB 100800 (Black base)

The confusing part is that, I've Rear MFRU with black bottom which looks exactly the same as the fan control unit. That's why I didn't think much of it
to use the fan control unit for MFRU. They have same fitting and fit bis-versa! I also have seen people selling Fan control unit as 'MFRU' This is very dangerous because car could launch with key at ignition.

I hope this helps for people in the future to prevent mistake I made...sigh

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:17 AM

Garage
The center, plastic alignment pins look to be keyed different (I would assume to keep you from doing exactly what you did - putting relay A into the slot wired for relay B)

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue (sold)
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet (sold)

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habious View Post
The center, plastic alignment pins look to be keyed different (I would assume to keep you from doing exactly what you did - putting relay A into the slot wired for relay B)
Yes, That is the main difference. However, they both plug in fine in the engine bay harness.
I think it might not plug in to fan control harness though.
I'm at the fault here ,but Lotus should have done more to prevent mixing up these two.
They should have kept the color difference through out all year and made those alignment pin more obvious ,so they won't plug in to wrong harness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in