2011 Elise Instrument Cluster Death and Revivial - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

2011 Elise Instrument Cluster Death and Revivial

A few months ago, the instrument cluster in my 2011 Elise stopped working. LCD, Tach, Speed, indicator lights.. all dead. So I suspected maybe a fuse was blown. I turn the car off, pull every fuse in every location (front clam, passenger well, and rear clam) checking for a blown one. All were fine. I start the car up and, woila... instrument cluster works again. Weird coincidence I thought.

Well, last week, the cluster died again. I have been driving the car several days and miles waiting for it to start working again, but it has remained dead. So I decided to start pulling/replacing fuses along with turning the key on EVERY fuse to see if a certain one did the trick.

...and, my answer is the "Battery Services" fuse under the front clam. When that fuse is pulled and replaced, even though the fuse is NOT blown, the instrument cluster comes back to life.

Anyone have a clue about what's going on here?

2011 Phantom Black Elise SC (Superman)
1999 Honda Civic (Lois Lane)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 06:18 PM
08 Elise SC

Just a guess, but I'm thinking that "battery services" is basically "dark current" for the cluster and other things to keep their memory. Pulling that fuse cuts all power to the cluster and clears the memory returning everything to the initial state. To me, that would imply bad cluster....but all just a guess....
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouston23 View Post
A few months ago, the instrument cluster in my 2011 Elise stopped working. LCD, Tach, Speed, indicator lights.. all dead. So I suspected maybe a fuse was blown. I turn the car off, pull every fuse in every location (front clam, passenger well, and rear clam) checking for a blown one. All were fine. I start the car up and, woila... instrument cluster works again. Weird coincidence I thought.

Well, last week, the cluster died again. I have been driving the car several days and miles waiting for it to start working again, but it has remained dead. So I decided to start pulling/replacing fuses along with turning the key on EVERY fuse to see if a certain one did the trick.

...and, my answer is the "Battery Services" fuse under the front clam. When that fuse is pulled and replaced, even though the fuse is NOT blown, the instrument cluster comes back to life.

Anyone have a clue about what's going on here?
I've the same problem, and the same reaction... ;-) checking fuse and relay... in my humble opinion it's a computer bug in the stack.
Sometimes, i've an half lcd display, i've to get off contact key while i drive on a straight road, (because it's dangerous) and get in, and display appears !

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 02:44 PM

I had the same problem with my 2011 Elise SC at about 5000 miles. I pulled and replaced the battery services fuse, and the instrument cluster came back to life. I'm curious to see if it happens again.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:07 AM

This is exactly what happened to me on my Lotus Elise SC 2011. My cluster died twice. First time during im driving and noticed everything goes black. I returned home and restart the car. It came back normal again.

The secondtime was during my start up just 5 mins after when i get off to get something at a gas station. This time i have noluck on restart the engine again. I took to a garage and check for fuse.. no blown fuse. Then we took off the cluster and plug it back it... walla!!! It work again. Its been 3 months now that it is working ok. Have no idea when the problem will appeae again..... why?!?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:37 AM
Nein Kinder

Is the battery services fuse under the exterior access panel at the base of the windshield? If pulling this fuse resets the cluster, momentarily disconnecting the battery might work too.

Has anyone had a low battery or connected a charger to the battery immediately preceding the instrument cluster failure?

Glen (2011 Elise SC)

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Dealer said mine is a bad cluster and needs replacement. This is occurring next week under warranty. I would encourage you to do the same. I suspect, over time, the fuse trick will cease to work and you'll be stuck with a dead cluster permanently if you don't address the issue..

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:04 PM

I had mine go dead also while in route at about 7k.. Disconnected the battery and back only came and haven't had it happen again. I have 13k+ miles on it now. The Dealer said they have pulled others with the same phenom and found nothing. Good luck and keep us posted if anything is found.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Mine has failed 3 times in the first 8 months (2000 miles) of ownership.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 09:25 PM

Hello from AZ! My 2011 Final Edition (14/15) Elise SC instrument cluster went completely dark last week. I was having battery issues (wouldn't hold a charge for 5 days), so I was going to swap the battery myself before this issue popped up. Brought it to AZ Lotus dealer (great guys in service). After about 20 minutes of diagnosis they called and said they had to replace the cluster. Should be installed tomorrow hopefully that's the end of it.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 PM

Update - New instrument cluster (and battery) installed by AZ Lotus. Great job, looks great, works perfect!

Dealership is 25 miles from home all freeway driving. The Lotus is so harsh on straight boring freeway drives - jarring bumps, cockpit squeaks and the car generally complains - but pile it into a corner at ridiculous speeds, drifting alllll the way through the apex with the tail wayyyy out chasing the nose...it's absolutely perfect....
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Nein Kinder

Hypothesis: Cause of Dark Instrument Cluster

I had to refer to this thread to fix the dark instrument cluster on my 2011 Elise. Pulling and replacing fuse 8 worked the first time. I thought about recent activity in the car and remembered this bit from section MP in the service manual (pg 17):

Quote:
Disconnecting the Battery
If the battery is to be disconnected, the following precautions should be taken:
i) Wait for at least ten seconds after switching off the ignition to allow the engine management system to
adjust the setting of some components ready for re‑starting.
Just prior to the instrument cluster going dark, I had been at a rest stop eating lunch. I got my car's electrical system confused with another...I thought that if the radio was on and you turned the ignition off, the radio (normally operated by switched power) would stay powered until you opened a door. When it didn't work that way, I switched the ignition on and off about 3 times (starting the car maybe once of those 3 times), experimenting with different conditions to verify that functionality was not present. I'm pretty sure I switched the ignition on and off at less than 10 second intervals. The next time I stopped and then returned to the car, the instrument cluster was dark.

So my hypothesis is that if you switch the ignition on and off at less than 10 second intervals (and in my case, not always starting the engine), you may induce a condition that causes the instrument cluster to go dark.

If this is a programming bug, it would probably be something like a file needed for start up is corrupted, and another program depends on no errors in that file before it will enable the instrument cluster. Then once the instrument cluster fails to work, it stays dead until it gets reset by removing power (pulling fuse 8). If in fact a start up file (that is written to in that 10 second window) exists, corruption is apparently not a problem for the rest of the system...the car always started and ran normally throughout the sequence of events I experienced.

So if you experience a dark instrument cluster and stumble on this thread to fix it, reflect on what happened in the immediate past and chime in with whether or not you might have had a similar experience to mine.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 05:01 AM

Unhappy dash power up issue

Hya,

I have similar issues, battery went down and after recharging, dash won't power up unless I reconnect battery terminal with ignition switch in the on position. Guess this is similar to removing/installing battery services fuse.. Anyway, this is a royal pain in the ass.. any similarities solutions ??
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 05:02 AM

mines a very late 04 k series 111s btw
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 10:49 AM

Yep. 2011 SC cluster not working after I left the gym today. Pulled and put back in (didn't replace) battery service fuse under the exterior access panel at the base of the windshield. Seeing a lot of 2011 SC's in this thread. Hmmmmmm
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 03:41 PM

Read this thread only because there aren't a lot of 2011 elise threads - BUT 3500mi today the cluster went dark on an errand.
I returned home (cluster still dark after 20 mins at Lowe's), disconnected the battery, left it for 10 mins, then reconnected and restarted for another trip after a few minutes - everything returned to 'normal'.

I still have 1 month on warranty apparently - going to call on the oil line recall & log this issue too.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 03:47 PM

Still happening

I had a similar thing with my 2014 SCR Elise, Started car, cluster went off and the clocks took it in turn to go from rest to 12 o'clock with a little display flash along the way. Turned off and back on still doing it. Took Earth lead of battery and replaced all back to normal.. Very strange
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 11:52 PM

I think if nothing else works the magic trick is to disconnect and reconnect the battery. I only had to disconnect the black (negative) cable. Its always worked the few times i had problems with dashboard and dadhboard lights"sudden death". Strictly follow the manual instructions on disconnecting battery
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 01:05 AM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geometa View Post
I think if nothing else works the magic trick is to disconnect and reconnect the battery. I only had to disconnect the black (negative) cable. Its always worked the few times i had problems with dashboard and dadhboard lights"sudden death". Strictly follow the manual instructions on disconnecting battery
My recommendation is if you're going to remove the negative battery terminal, after doing so press on the brake pedal for at least five seconds before reconnecting the negative brake terminal.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 02:00 AM
fLA

I have 2009 Elise 111R (almost 8000km total).. and after 4 week "resting".. (I was on holidays)
The cluster went "mad".. always reseting, off and on, needles move on "check", All cluster lights on then off, no distance counting (not bad for total counting mileage...ehheheheheh), the worse... no Fuel gauge working properly, always "full" when lit on.

Work in progress.

I put the battery off and charging with a CTEK battery charger from last night (complete charge).
The battery is off the charger now and on hold.

I will then fit it back in the car.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Flavio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in