Alternator harness schematic? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Alternator harness schematic?

As a victim of the dread alternator brace destuction through installing the Katana supercharger I fried the alternator harness when the $%^# thing hit the car firewall on the track. Points to Sector 111 for faxing me the pully diagram at the track, don't leave home without it!
Does anyone know the schematic and color of the wires for the original harness plug and the hookup destinations? I installed an emergency alternator and different harness to get me home and now I'm lost in a maze of cascading electrical problems (why does this sound like a British car?). Reporting to the electric dumb light doesn't work, the alternator tries to charge over 15.4 and the engine then runs irregularly. I'm trying to get a new harness and schematic from British Motors but I suspect the schematic will not be forthcoming unless I give the car to them. They have had it once and when I drove out the alternator was dead. I now have four batteries and several dead alternators and don't want to continue for fear of cascading electrical falilures (I started with an MGTC and know where this leads). Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Fast TrackSaffron Yellow

Last edited by loki; 04-14-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 06:22 PM

I only have the wiring diagrams. Can't find anything else.
2005:
Name:  2005.JPG
Views: 20555
Size:  95.1 KB
2006:
Name:  2006.JPG
Views: 12644
Size:  96.4 KB
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 07:16 PM
OSX Black hat

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...05&postcount=2

tim posted the colour key.

Black Exige S / Elan M100. Don't run a smaller pulley without an upgraded fuel pump! http://www.goth.am ecu stuff.. New reflash box coming soon!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Much thanks to RoadDad and Charliex, that will get me started. I called British Motors this AM and asked for a replacement harness plug for the alternator. They allowed as how they "Didn't service that part" but I could order the entire engine harness wiring for around $1,700.00. Remember that when you fry any harness plug!
I love the quick response and depth of information available on this forum.

Fast TrackSaffron Yellow
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 02:18 PM
OSX Black hat

jeez i have one of the plugs spare i think, since i've got a chopped up engine wiring harness in my garage

Black Exige S / Elan M100. Don't run a smaller pulley without an upgraded fuel pump! http://www.goth.am ecu stuff.. New reflash box coming soon!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex View Post
jeez i have one of the plugs spare i think, since i've got a chopped up engine wiring harness in my garage
So I could get the part for, say, $1500??
Thanks Charlie, I'm going to try modifying the wiring in another plug first and then if that doesn't work I'm back to you!
You have to love Lotus on this kind of pricing, yes?

Fast TrackSaffron Yellow
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:13 AM
OSX Black hat

if you need it, let me know and i'll drop it in the mail.

yes they're not cheap

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 05:36 AM

WTF? Kantana SC kit can cause the alternator to hit the firewall and fry?
Seriously?
That's a crappy design.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žob View Post
WTF? Kantana SC kit can cause the alternator to hit the firewall and fry?
Seriously?
That's a crappy design.
Just to be clear on the Katana kit...I am an early adopter, I got the kit from the shop in SoCal and installed it myself with the help of a friend. That voids the warantee since Sector 111 has "official" installers. Sector 111 found problems with the alternator brace and sent out replacements unsolicited to all buyers. My brace failed but I would have a hard time arguing if it was mechanical or an installation problem that I caused. Anytime you modify a car as limited in production as the Elise you are taking a risk. Any mod might have problems that are not apparent until more widely distributed. You pays your money and takes your chance. The Katana is still a great mod for the buck.

Fast TrackSaffron Yellow
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 02:27 PM

Electrical problems like that are not to be taking lightly - they can destroy an entire car. Hopefully you are OK.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žob View Post
Electrical problems like that are not to be taking lightly - they can destroy an entire car. Hopefully you are OK.
I am, but the problem is not yet fixed. Wiring problems were much easier befor ECUs and such. This is a slow methodical process. I asked my local dealer for some pages out of the Lotus Shop manual and they allowed as how they didn't have one! Not confidence inspiring!

Fast TrackSaffron Yellow
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
I am, but the problem is not yet fixed. Wiring problems were much easier before ECUs and such. This is a slow methodical process. I asked my local dealer for some pages out of the Lotus Shop manual and they allowed as how they didn't have one! Not confidence inspiring!
If you are working on an Elise/Exige there is really no excuse for not having the Factory Service Manual. You can download it from the LCU web site for $25 - it has everything about the car (except the engine and transmission internals as they are Toyota manuals) including the wiring diagrams. The internals for the engine and the transmission are in the Toyota Celica manuals that you can find "bootleg" copies of on line and download.

There are stickys in the "Maintenance" section with information on how to get the various manuals.

As for the dealer "not having the manuals" is could be one of two things. They don't want to let customers use their manuals, or they have a subscription via Lotus to access the manuals on-line as needed (in which case they wouldn't have paper copies).

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen View Post
If you are working on an Elise/Exige there is really no excuse for not having the Factory Service Manual. You can download it from the LCU web site for $25 - it has everything about the car (except the engine and transmission internals as they are Toyota manuals) including the wiring diagrams. The internals for the engine and the transmission are in the Toyota Celica manuals that you can find "bootleg" copies of on line and download.

There are stickys in the "Maintenance" section with information on how to get the various manuals.

As for the dealer "not having the manuals" is could be one of two things. They don't want to let customers use their manuals, or they have a subscription via Lotus to access the manuals on-line as needed (in which case they wouldn't have paper copies).
Tim I have the downloaded manual from Lotus but I thought that the shop manual might be more detailed than that. Perhaps I was looking for the old style manuals with more illustration/details not just RandR stuff.

Fast TrackSaffron Yellow
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Fixed! Many thanks to those on this Forum, RoadDad and particularly Charliex whose complete electric schematics of the model year (mine were too generic) allowed us to find the culprit, and help from Cade Wilson of Sector 111. The problem was the Toyota alternator (there are several) being wired incorrectly which caused the ECU to throw misleading error codes blow engine fuses and the engine and alternator/battery to choke on bad codes. Once the Toyota leads hooked up correctly to the Lotus wire all was well. This compares favourably to Lotus SF replacing the engine wiring harness for $1700 and alternator for $1400. Minus labour of course. Thanks again, I love this forum.

Fast TrackSaffron Yellow
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:41 AM
OSX Black hat

do you still need the plug ? i sent you an email asking ?

glad its working otherwise.

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
do you still need the plug ? i sent you an email asking ?

glad its working otherwise.
Is this the gray 3 pin plug that connects from the harness to the alternator?
I may be needing one of these.

2005 Bordeaux Met #21 (HT, Touring, Quicksilver ext, TRM F1 wheels, Stan Stud, HID lights, BWR S/C,Filled motor mounts, catch can, no camber shims, Tillett saddles)
2004 Audi S4 Sedan (Tip, GAIC Chip, AWE Cat-back, Team Dyanmics Pro 1.2 wheels, H-sport sway bars)
2002 F-350 (Powerstroke, 4x4, Banks power pack, 6th alternator)
Couple nice bicycles, way too many snow skis.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:12 AM
FIL

If you still have the plug, I am in need of one. I have the BWR supercharger kit and the wires sheared from the plug.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:29 AM
OSX Black hat

I'll check see if i still have it.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 AM
FIL

plug

Quote:
I'll check see if i still have it.
If you do PM me or preferably shoot me an e-mail [email protected]

Thanks!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
The problem was the Toyota alternator (there are several) being wired incorrectly which caused the ECU to throw misleading error codes blow engine fuses and the engine and alternator/battery to choke on bad codes. Once the Toyota leads hooked up correctly to the Lotus wire all was well.
AHHHH! My car is in the shop right now with a failed alternator. This wiring you describe, is it factory wiring done by Toyota internal to the alternator, or wiring done by the installer of the SC Kit? If its wiring done by the installer, i'm going to have the tech at the dealer document it, so i can take that up with them. Mine was installed by a certified installer. I don't think my amp killed it, it's only 80watts to power my sub. Oh, yeah, my horn stopped working about the same time... fuse.....?

My dash lit up like a fireworks display. Started with the battery indicator flickering at idle, then it progressed to airbag, abs and flashing of the tackomoter. Mind you this is 2000K after the SC install. The car has run fine up til now.

It damaged the car battery, which is holding enough charge to start the car, but it will have to be replaced. Dealer quoted me $1200 for an alternator that i can get at a toyota dealership for 314 bucks. I might be lucky to get this fixed for 900 bucks with labor including the install of my new BWR Alternator mount bracket!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in