The definitive "how to disable the airbag light" thread - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By cyow5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My car: 07 Exige S
Ok bear with me here as I know there are tons of threads on this. But they are far from clear, with info scattered across pages. I'm attaching an image of the dash cluster connector (the big one) that annotates the "wire that should be removed to disable to the airbag light" based on several forum threads.

However there is one post where a fellow claimed to remove this wire and reported that the light stayed on.

Can I get someone who knows for sure which wire to remove to disable the airbag light to confirm that I am circling the correct wire? And if not can you tell me which one is the correct wire? In that case I will update the illustration.

My situation: driver and passenger airbags removed. Airbag computer is removed. <<Do I even need to worry about the wire in this case (my car is apart with no battery at the moment so I cannot test). I assume the airbag light is generated by either the ECU or the dash control module, not the airbag computer itself. But thought I'd ask.
Attached Images

-Smoky

Last edited by Smoky; 09-13-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hmmm...are the lack of replies because this is such a rarely done mod that the right person just hasn't logged in yet, or is it that this simply won't work and that's why there is no answer?

I would also be fine with simply removing the LED from the board. I am pretty good at soldering and desoldering. But the instrument pack seems pretty solidly placed inside the case and doesn't easily pop out. I am concerned about ruining the instrument pack by not knowing what to expect or even the proper way to remove it from the case. I can get the case open of course, that is easy. Just not confident in exactly how it should all be extracted.

Seems a lot more straightforward to assume the "thinking" about the airbags is done in a separate module and the display pack is just receiving a signal regarding which LED's to illuminate. But which wire?

-Smoky
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:51 AM

I think that's why no one has replied - there might not be anything more to be done. Just hook up a battery real quick and see.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
I think that's why no one has replied - there might not be anything more to be done. Just hook up a battery real quick and see.
I'm a ways off from that yet in this project (hooking up the battery, that is). But it is an optimistic suggestion. You are thinking that because I have removed the airbag ECU there will be no signal sent to illuminate the LED on the dash? So no wire to remove, no further steps to take?

-Smoky
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
I'm a ways off from that yet in this project (hooking up the battery, that is). But it is an optimistic suggestion. You are thinking that because I have removed the airbag ECU there will be no signal sent to illuminate the LED on the dash? So no wire to remove, no further steps to take?
Right; the wiring diagram shows that the wire has to be grounded out to light up the dash. Without a way to ground it out, no light. The wiring diagram shows that the wire is colored "BP" which is black and purple though if you really want to cut it.

I don't think there is a definitive "right" way to do it though. What you are doing is never going to pass a safety inspection in states that require it (unless you get a slack inspector) which is fine in many cases. Not a one-size-fits-all though. In states that require an inspection, you'll need the light to briefly turn on then go out, so, in the case of having removed the stock belts, you need a 2.2ohm resistor across the old pretensioner connector.
Smoky and Kamsden like this.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Right; the wiring diagram shows that the wire has to be grounded out to light up the dash. Without a way to ground it out, no light. The wiring diagram shows that the wire is colored "BP" which is black and purple though if you really want to cut it.

I don't think there is a definitive "right" way to do it though. What you are doing is never going to pass a safety inspection in states that require it (unless you get a slack inspector) which is fine in many cases. Not a one-size-fits-all though. In states that require an inspection, you'll need the light to briefly turn on then go out, so, in the case of having removed the stock belts, you need a 2.2ohm resistor across the old pretensioner connector.
Gotcha. Ok then I will try it first without pulling the wire. And if it lights then I will pull the black/purple as that jives with what comes up in other posts (although there is that one post where it didn't work...but maybe he pulled the wrong wire).

And when I say definitive I was hoping for just that, a simple "do this one thing to eliminate that airbag light" for folks who, like me, are going the custom wheel/I hate airbags route. As far as inspections, by this point most of us "know a guy" if you live in one of the states where "knowing a guy" can actually help.

Thanks! I will follow up (prob in about a month) once things start going back together.

-Smoky
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Confirmed:

Wire "B12" (Black/Purple, the one indicated in the first post) must be removed to disable the airbag light.

Removing the airbag computer does nothing. The light is triggered from within the cluster dash module. Disconnect that and you are g2g!

First remove the blue clip. Then you just insert a small screwdriver into the outer slot on the connector side of B12 and wiggle it around while wiggling on the black/purple wire and the connector will eventually unlock and slide free. Tape the connector, reinstall, and you're done. Takes minutes.

Thanks everyone!

-Smoky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in