DYI 06 LED Tails on 05 Elise Step by Step?? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
2005 LB Lotus Elise

DYI 06 LED Tails on 05 Elise Step by Step??

I have seen many threads about this, but still have not found a step by step clear DYI. Anybody willing to write one up? I am looking to install 06 LED tails from an 06 Exige on my 05 Elise and wanted to double check on the exact steps and what I needed. Is it plug and play? I know Theres also a Flasher relay. Can anyone help me with the exact steps?

Thanks in advance!

2005 Laser Blue Lotus Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:07 PM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Be sure to get the new $100 solid state relay flasher per the updated bulletin.

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | Monolites/R888R | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | shiftR111/LETSLA/SSC Cables | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 06:30 AM

Garage
Wow, you really need a $100 relay? I put LED lights in my 05' and used a CF13-GL02 LED Flasher Relay off of EBay for $8.95 and it works great. Please make sure you get a CF13-GL02 and not a CF13-JL02. The JL will not work on our cars even though some sites state they will. The difference is + and - pins are swapped. Good luck on the LEDs!

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
2005 LB Lotus Elise

So Im getting the LEDs from an 06 EXIGE. DO I have to buy this flasher relay or can I just use the stock one being used on the 06 Exige on my 05 Elise? @InfernoLotus @XtinctElise

2005 Laser Blue Lotus Elise
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
Wow, you really need a $100 relay? I put LED lights in my 05' and used a CF13-GL02 LED Flasher Relay off of EBay for $8.95 and it works great. Please make sure you get a CF13-GL02 and not a CF13-JL02. The JL will not work on our cars even though some sites state they will. The difference is + and - pins are swapped. Good luck on the LEDs!
The alternate relay worked for few months then the common fast flashing issue appeared. Lotus has acknowledged this and this is their offical fix, it has lower resistance and does not affect the load like the stock relay. You loose the clicking sound though.

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | Monolites/R888R | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | shiftR111/LETSLA/SSC Cables | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:13 AM

Get the relay off of superbrightleds for $10. I've been using it for five years. You will have to either update the relay or add a resistor, but the relay is easier and far more correct.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Get the relay off of superbrightleds for $10. I've been using it for five years. You will have to either update the relay or add a resistor, but the relay is easier and far more correct.
Is that $10 relay a solid state relay?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtinctElise View Post
Is that $10 relay a solid state relay?
You don't need a solid state relay. My guess is that the SSR fixes a different problem - electrical behavior shouldn't change with time with analog pieces like a relay and lights. If it works for a month and then stops working, something else happened.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in