Finding a sidelight wire - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Finding a sidelight wire

Should be red orange if I believe the wiring diagram

I am adding a pair of gauges, and wish to have the lights wired as the others[but without dim]

Anyone know a convenient place to tap into this circuit as near the gauges or behind switch panel area as possible?

The switches themselves supply the switch pack and don't appear to have a connection to the output side of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 04:34 PM

I checked my installation notes for the oil temp and pressure gauges I installed in a BWR gauge pod (from Feb. 2007). I tapped into the illumination circuit that goes to the radio...Red Orange wire as you referenced.

2006 Exige - Phantom Black

Last edited by Lotusmotion; 01-25-2017 at 04:44 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 06:21 PM

Garage
I couldn't find a side light wire easy to connect to with out drilling thru the dash as I located my gauge pod below the AC/heat control panel as no orange red is below radio level.

So I connected the gauge lights to the Ignition power/Aux. this means the gauge lights are on all the time car is running.
I have orange LEDs so longevity and brightness is not an issue.

If anyone has found an Orange Red available please advise.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 08:01 PM

XM595, you can tap into a Red Orange wire behind the Elise / Exige dash and route it to a gauge pod located below the climate controls (such as a BWR gauge pod)...with no drilling of the dash required.

Route the wiring through the rear area of the dash to the space behind either (L or R) dash side access panel. Then, route the wiring out toward the foot well side of either (L or R) door sill panel. Then, route the wiring across the underside of the dash over to the gauge pod. Hide the wiring in convoluted cable cover (available at any auto parts store) and secure it with double sided adhesive cable clips (available at Radio Shack or other electronics suppliers).

I route wiring this way for my Exige's oil pressure and temperature gauges, sub-woofer, LED interior lights, shift light, and cruise control...no drilling of holes required.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

SO my gauges are going to be mounted right up by the gauge cluster, so I didn't want to go over to the radio

Not all red/orange wires are created equal, the one in the CAN bus connector on the back of the cluster is not a sidelight wire, but a it must be a dimmed wire for the heater controls, won't light a lightbulb, drops to basically zero under load, must be an LED driver

The RO wire on pin 6 of the larger black blue connector on the back of the cluster is the input to the cluster so it works.

Too bad as I have the crimp pins for the CANbus connector since they are the same as the heater actuator connectors, and it would have been cuter. Had to use a scotchlock into the harness right at the cluster.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
The RO wire on pin 6 of the larger black blue connector on the back of the cluster is the input to the cluster so it works.
The RO wire that I tapped was also on pin 6 but at the radio. The wiring diagram indicates that they are different points of the same circuit.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Oh there's a ton of them, all originating at the hidden splice K
i probably could also have sliced the harness open at the doorpost, as there must be at least one going back there, but it spelled trouble to me.

this is what I was up to:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/o...gauges-398377/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in