INSTALLED: Passenger Airbag Disable Switch - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

INSTALLED: Passenger Airbag Disable Switch

Had some time to kill yesterday and installed a passenger airbag disable switch. Used a Dremel to cut a hole in the passenger pillar cover (above change cubby) and trimmed with rubber diffuser molding. I was able to access the airbag wire through that opening and by removing the speaker. Was very tight for my large hands - removing the dash top would be an easier way. Tapping the wire is simple considering this is a single stage airbag with only 2 wires (see diagram below). My company actually sells these switches now, see here:

Universal Passenger Airbag Disable Switch - Electronix Online - Computer and Electronic Parts and Supplies

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Diagram:

Attached Images

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 08:02 AM

I am sure that its just my paranoia....
But man would I be nervous of the bag going off while installing that. Sort of like the time between setting the mouse trap and setting the trap down.

Thanks for the writeup

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_porsche View Post
I am sure that its just my paranoia....
But man would I be nervous of the bag going off while installing that. Sort of like the time between setting the mouse trap and setting the trap down.

Thanks for the writeup
Of course the first thing you do is disconnect the battery. And for those not comfortable with a DIY job, by all means take the kit to someone who is qualified to install.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 AM

sweet! great resource - thanks for the diagram and write up

2006 Aspen White Elise
http://projectelise.com - blogging the Elise
Ongoing Elise & Exige Price Trend Spreadsheet (OPEN SHEET IN EXCEL! Google Docs butchers it and shows errors...)
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 09:13 AM

Dave

don't you have to mail the NHTSA your installation copy and I thought it has to be a qualified/certified installer?.........

[B]05 Lotus Elise REV400, Stage II, BWR TB, OBX header, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, Carbon Fiber Spliter, GRP Side Scoops, CF side skirts, , S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, Allitech, CF interior, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam, Light Flywheel, ATI pulley, 2010 Exige Cup mirrors
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 AM

What is the benefit of disabling the passenger airbag, are you trying save some weight?

"I take life one pixel at a time"-RENDERMAN
Adobe Photoshop CC and Autodesk Maya Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
My work:
http://www.wilsart.com/
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Jor

If you disable the passenger airbag, you can safely install a baby seat or take a child in the car with you.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt0302 View Post
don't you have to mail the NHTSA your installation copy and I thought it has to be a qualified/certified installer?.........
Hey Andy, assuming if you do a DIY yourself, this (like 90% of the other Lotus aftermarket parts) would have to classified as a track use only modification. I'm not selling a specific Lotus product, just distributing a universal kit that is manufactured by AOI that I tested on my Elise.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

For those wanting the airbag switches, I have 7 of them coming in on Tuesday. Price has been lowered as well to $99.95. See link in first post to order.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Switches now back in stock
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 07:00 PM

Just finished reading the NHTSA bulletin on installing the airbag delete switch. Interesting info, and you do in fact need to mail in a form

2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera

Krypton Green Exige S
Factory Cup Roof (full mohawk), Stage 3 Exhaust (Sold)

2007 Ardent Red Elise (Sold)

Last edited by livethedream; 02-17-2011 at 07:06 PM.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:48 AM

This is a great idea. I hate most of my passengers. haha.

Beat the sun with the Taylor Mesh Top for the Lotus Elise and Tesla Roadster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUPS5FY5uVg
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 03:04 PM

Bought one, thanks. Will report back about my installation. Thank you Dave.

My local independent shop refused to install an airbag switch for me just last week. And I was ready to pay him $600 for that.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Of course the first thing you do is disconnect the battery. And for those not comfortable with a DIY job, by all means take the kit to someone who is qualified to install.
The SRS (airbag) is activated by capacitors in the airbag control unit so that if the vehicle battery is dissconnected or damaged in an accident the airbag can be activated. Wait at least 10 minutes after the battery is dissconected to allow the capacitors to discharge. Make sure that there is no one by the airbag when the battery is reconnected. The capacitors will recharge after the battery is reconnected.

BTW have you had any fault codes with the airbag off?

Now I lay me down to sleep
Beside the bed a Glock I keep
If I awake and you're inside
The Coroner will give you your last ride
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 06:51 PM

Dave,

Do you also have the "remote status light" available?
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmoney View Post
The SRS (airbag) is activated by capacitors in the airbag control unit so that if the vehicle battery is dissconnected or damaged in an accident the airbag can be activated. Wait at least 10 minutes after the battery is dissconected to allow the capacitors to discharge. Make sure that there is no one by the airbag when the battery is reconnected. The capacitors will recharge after the battery is reconnected.

BTW have you had any fault codes with the airbag off?
Good points, and no to the airbag light...it satisfies the 2 ohm requirement that the module is monitoring.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Dave, do you also have the "remote status light" available?
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 06:15 PM

Installed today

what a PITA...........there is little room and the yellow wire is way to short........then when I finally got done and happy with the install.........my son drops the keys down the side sill where the cooling lines are...........so good luck trying to get them out..........almost had a nervous breakdown.........quickly packed up everything.........got my guns and went to the indoor shooting range and let some steam off...........!!!!!..........now I need to find new keys!!! .........what a ****ty day!

[B]05 Lotus Elise REV400, Stage II, BWR TB, OBX header, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, Carbon Fiber Spliter, GRP Side Scoops, CF side skirts, , S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, Allitech, CF interior, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam, Light Flywheel, ATI pulley, 2010 Exige Cup mirrors
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Does anyone know if it matter which one of the wire you splice? I'm asking because it seems the airbag connector has some sort of coil inside of it and this may make a difference in which wire you splice. See Dave's diagram and my picture below.

Update - I showed Dave's diagram and the below picture to a friend of mine, who's a certified eletronics guys, and he told me it does not matter which wire you splice and Y connect. If I remember correctly, he said the coil was there to provide clean power. As to what exactly what he meant by this is beyond me and I didn't ask further as he gave me the answer I wanted.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nobuyasu; 04-17-2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Updated Information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in