INSTALLED: Passenger Airbag Disable Switch - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 05:54 PM

I installed the switch today in my 2005 Elise. It took me 7 hours between a run to the hardware store, a walk with the kids, lunch, and a nap. Thank you Dave and Lotus Talk for this good solution.

The switch seems to work. I taped it under the dash and tapped power for its indicator lights from the fuses under the dash.
1. I removed the little access panel and the speaker.
2. I could not unplug the airbag wire connector.
3. I pulled the yellow airbag wire with another wire from the speaker hole to control it. From the access panel hole I stripped the yellow airbag wire with a pair of 9 inch needle nose pliers. I was basically pinching the yellow wire until I stripped a sufficient length of it, maybe 1 inch. I damaged the interior wires a bit, but not so much that there could be a short.
4. I cut the gray wire (I think either one is fine)
5. I held each wire snap connector with my left hand through the speaker hole and watched through the access panel, and once the connector was in place I snapped it shut with the needle nose pliers. I could not snap them with my left hand, so I had to hold them closed and then snap them with the pliers. I applied the provided glue to the connectors, but I'm not sure it does anything or that it was even meant for that.
6. I threaded the wire through a passageway between the aluminum and plastic to the foot well and glued the switch on the aluminum beam.
7. While I was there I extracted the alarm antenna wire, added another 12 inches, and laid it on the dashboard.
8. Air bag light is not illuminated and there is no problem turning the switch key on and off while the car is running.
9. I ordered a Harmony v6 backless booster seat from One Step Ahead that should fit in the Elise seat. Found it referenced on Lotus Talk. One Step Ahead calls it "Kids V6 Backless Booster Seat".

What helped
1. Two flashlights, one attached to my head.
2. Thin work gloves
3. Disconnect the battery

Glad that's over. See photos of the finished job.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:16 AM

Going to do this mod. Anyone have any feedback?
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck5 View Post
2. I could not unplug the airbag wire connector.
If you come across the above problem, it may be beacuse you are trying the pull the plug towards the front of the car. This plug is actually "L" shaped and plugged into the side of the airbag. So you need to pull the plug towards the passengers side. I also removed the purple clup in the plug shown in Redduck's picture above. I cannot recall if this is needed.

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Switches are back in stock, and all backorders shipped out yesterday

Universal Passenger Airbag Disable Switch - Electronix Online - Computer and Electronic Parts and Supplies
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:39 PM

OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuyasu View Post
Does anyone know if it matter which one of the wire you splice? I'm asking because it seems the airbag connector has some sort of coil inside of it and this may make a difference in which wire you splice. See Dave's diagram and my picture below.

Update - I showed Dave's diagram and the below picture to a friend of mine, who's a certified eletronics guys, and he told me it does not matter which wire you splice and Y connect. If I remember correctly, he said the coil was there to provide clean power. As to what exactly what he meant by this is beyond me and I didn't ask further as he gave me the answer I wanted.
You went way to deep into this thing! Just follow the instruction that come with it and it works!..........

[B]05 Lotus Elise REV400, Stage II, BWR TB, OBX header, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, Carbon Fiber Spliter, GRP Side Scoops, CF side skirts, , S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, Allitech, CF interior, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam, Light Flywheel, ATI pulley, 2010 Exige Cup mirrors
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 PM

Final solution to my saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt0302 View Post
what a PITA...........there is little room and the yellow wire is way to short........then when I finally got done and happy with the install.........my son drops the keys down the side sill where the cooling lines are...........so good luck trying to get them out..........almost had a nervous breakdown.........quickly packed up everything.........got my guns and went to the indoor shooting range and let some steam off...........!!!!!..........now I need to find new keys!!! .........what a ****ty day!
took it to a lock smith and had them move the damn thing to the off position. My son loves riding in the car!.........he waves at everybody that goes by!......great upgrade!

[B]05 Lotus Elise REV400, Stage II, BWR TB, OBX header, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, Carbon Fiber Spliter, GRP Side Scoops, CF side skirts, , S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, Allitech, CF interior, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam, Light Flywheel, ATI pulley, 2010 Exige Cup mirrors
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

More switches in stock, all backorders going out today
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 06:09 AM

Curious if you have any more left?

A wise man once said "All you need is what's around you" Well, when I looked around I saw a pimp with a shiny pair of shoes and a 49 Mercury!
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 06:37 AM

Ditto.
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:27 AM

I bought one but didn't end up installing it. PM me if you want to buy it.
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 05:04 AM

This is a great mod! and very cheap!
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 12:11 PM

I just installed mine yesterday, 11" pliers are a must!
Childrens seat installs fine using a mity tite car seat tightener
I could not figure out how to disconnet the wire from the air bag so I did the wiring with it plugged in. PITA until I got longer pliers!
I got power for the LED from the wiper motor fuse in the Interior fuse block.

2005 Bordeaux Met #21 (HT, Touring, Quicksilver ext, TRM F1 wheels, Stan Stud, HID lights, BWR S/C,Filled motor mounts, catch can, no camber shims, Tillett saddles)
2004 Audi S4 Sedan (Tip, GAIC Chip, AWE Cat-back, Team Dyanmics Pro 1.2 wheels, H-sport sway bars)
2002 F-350 (Powerstroke, 4x4, Banks power pack, 6th alternator)
Couple nice bicycles, way too many snow skis.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 02:12 PM

I have only owned my 2005 for 4 days now and this was my first mod, it was awesome to see the smile on my daughters face when she took her first ride in elise. I would recomend this mod to any owner with children. Thanks for the info guys
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 05:38 PM

Quick question for those who have done this. Is it significantly easier to do this by pulling the airbag cover off rather than trying to do everything from the access panel? It seems like is should be, but I can't tell from the pictures.

Thanks!!!
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 PM

Garage
Are there any shops in SF bay area that can perform this mod?
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanf650 View Post
Quick question for those who have done this. Is it significantly easier to do this by pulling the airbag cover off rather than trying to do everything from the access panel? It seems like is should be, but I can't tell from the pictures.

Thanks!!!
Anyone?
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 12:10 PM

Okay...so I did this and have a problem.

First of all, it is a PITA. There is very little access and the yellow wire is very short. Getting the little clamps around the wires and on securely is very difficult. It doesn't help to take the airbag cover off. The wires are not accessible from the front because there is a riveted plastic piece that surrounds the airbag. I got it all installed and everything was fine until I turned the switch to the 'on' position. Then the airbag light came on.

I took it to Rob at Dietsch Werks (who was great, as usual) and he hooked it up to the scanner and we determined that there was indeed a problem with the airbag when the switch was on. I figured I must have screwed something up, so I took the car home and double checked that everything wired correctly. It was, but then I noticed that the airbag connector comes out very easily. I think I must have screwed it up when I was disconnecting it to pull out the yellow wire. Then I noticed that the connector has a locking mechanism--this little flappy strap that inserts into the top. Well, I didn't pull that little strap when I yanked the connector off. Does anyone have any experience with this connector? Did I screw up the connector or the airbag? Ideas?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in