[Instrument Cluster Modification] A brief guide to upgrading your needles and LCD - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Terry
 
t955152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,183
here's the how to paint your cluster needle write up i found
How to Paint Gauge Needles — revlimiter.net
t955152 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 33
Just received these! They look amazing (actually got to see the finished/operational cluster) and it just freshens up the look of the cluster so much.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting all the materials I need to complete the swap.
pegasixi is offline  
post #23 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,337
Got mine from Terry. These are definitely OEM quality...and I don't mean Lotus OEM. More like BMW OEM. It's probably the only part on my car that isn't going to fall apart. I got the aluminum surrounds and the gauges finally looks like it matches the car.
Nessal is offline  
 
post #24 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 03:44 AM
Registered User
 
Riceburner98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Natick, MA
Posts: 542
Good writeup! That thread I started got so long even I can't find things in it!

Here's a link to the LED ring installation if anyone needs it - http://www.home.comcast.net/~ricebur...stallation.pdf Most importantly it shows where to solder your wires to for power inside the cluster.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise
Mod list: Stainless shift knob.
Riceburner98 is offline  
post #25 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 06:35 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner98 View Post
Good writeup! That thread I started got so long even I can't find things in it!

Here's a link to the LED ring installation if anyone needs it - http://www.home.comcast.net/~ricebur...stallation.pdf Most importantly it shows where to solder your wires to for power inside the cluster.


Rice, sent you a PM.
Nessal is offline  
post #26 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 07:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
Nice write up. Does anyone know if these newhaven displays work in the 08's? The display readouts look slightly different.
gavant is offline  
post #27 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Such moderate
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 6,707
Garage
I've cleaned up the thread. Please keep the discussion civil and on topic.
Doge is online now  
post #28 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 26
Newheaven just quoted me $21.90 for
NHD-0216K1Z-NSW-FBW-L-D6 guessing that's before shipping, btw
formfollowsfunction is offline  
post #29 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Terry
 
t955152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by formfollowsfunction View Post
Newheaven just quoted me $21.90 for
NHD-0216K1Z-NSW-FBW-L-D6 guessing that's before shipping, btw
I just ordered 5 of them just now, i apologize for not mentioning about the $10 pin soldering fee. The LCD itself costs $11, and they charge $10 to solder the pins specifically just for our cars. I'll go ahead and update it
t955152 is offline  
post #30 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Terry
 
t955152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner98 View Post
Good writeup! That thread I started got so long even I can't find things in it!

Here's a link to the LED ring installation if anyone needs it - http://www.home.comcast.net/~ricebur...stallation.pdf Most importantly it shows where to solder your wires to for power inside the cluster.
Thank you Bob!
t955152 is offline  
post #31 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Arch. Project Manager
 
surferpkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sarasota, FL.
Posts: 1,090
whats the difference between the standard header?

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
surferpkt is offline  
post #32 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Registered User
 
Riceburner98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Natick, MA
Posts: 542
The standard header uses pins that are too big to fit the receptacle Lotus uses on the circuit board.. The cluster needs the machined round pins (from Mill-Max) rather than the typical square-post type of pins that would plug into breadboards, Arduinos, etc... You can get the pins from Digikey / Mouser / etc, but if you're ordering just those it's probably $10 in shipping anyway..

Mill-Max type pins: (Digikey P/N ED6816-ND 'should' be gold plated pins)



Standard square pins:

2005 Chrome Orange Elise
Mod list: Stainless shift knob.

Last edited by Riceburner98; 10-03-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Riceburner98 is offline  
post #33 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Terry
 
t955152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner98 View Post
The standard header uses pins that are too big to fit the receptacle Lotus uses on the circuit board.. The cluster needs the machined round pins (from Mill-Max) rather than the typical square-post type of pins that would plug into breadboards, Arduinos, etc... You can get the pins from Digikey / Mouser / etc, but if you're ordering just those it's probably $10 in shipping anyway..

Mill-Max type pins: (Digikey P/N ED6816-ND 'should' be gold plated pins)



Standard square pins:
Thanks Bob!
t955152 is offline  
post #34 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20
amazing !
thanks for the info !
Sylver is offline  
post #35 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Such moderate
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 6,707
Garage
Just an FYI, the listing for those harley needles ended and I don't see another listing with that part number.
Doge is online now  
post #36 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Terry
 
t955152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by doge View Post
Just an FYI, the listing for those harley needles ended and I don't see another listing with that part number.
can't believe he sold like 40 needles in a week lol I just checked, New Harley Davidson Speedometer Gauge Cluster Pointer Needle Only 16241536 | eBay

this one might actually work better! the original harley needle in the discussion is only 3mm longer. this one is almost identical to it except it's 3mm shorter. there are 10 available so jump on it quick.

The LCD company also just receive a huge order from us lately and the current lead time is 2 weeks.
t955152 is offline  
post #37 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Registered User
 
SLKado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Woolwich, NJ
Posts: 254
Garage
You should be asking for a commission from these guys! You're single handedly driving up their monthly sales.

2005 LRG Lotus Elise
SLKado is offline  
post #38 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Arch. Project Manager
 
surferpkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sarasota, FL.
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by t955152 View Post
can't believe he sold like 40 needles in a week lol I just checked, New Harley Davidson Speedometer Gauge Cluster Pointer Needle Only 16241536 | eBay

this one might actually work better! the original harley needle in the discussion is only 3mm longer. this one is almost identical to it except it's 3mm shorter. there are 10 available so jump on it quick.

The LCD company also just receive a huge order from us lately and the current lead time is 2 weeks.
Digital dash solutions on ebay has two different posts for that needle. Both had 10 sets available and were selling. They'll take an offer of 2 at $10 each($20) shipped.


"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
surferpkt is offline  
post #39 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Terry
 
t955152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferpkt View Post
Digital dash solutions on ebay has two different posts for that needle. Both had 10 sets available and were selling. They'll take an offer of 2 at $10 each($20) shipped.

that's a steal!


Quote:
Originally Posted by SLKado View Post
You should be asking for a commission from these guys! You're single handedly driving up their monthly sales.
oh yeah they should haha
t955152 is offline  
post #40 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Terry
 
t955152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,183
I just made a little comparison between some of the needles that can be purchased from eBay/Alibaba:

from top to bottom:
1) dodge intrepid
2) purchased from forum, but can be found from Alibaba, $50 for 100 needles.
3) Harley needle
4) Harley needle painted in fluorescent red

#4 is the closest to what's in the 2008+ elise/exige clusters.
t955152 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome