[Instrument Cluster Modification] A brief guide to upgrading your needles and LCD - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 05:17 AM

Nice comparison! Do you know the heights of the needles, and if there's any work to get the plastic cover sheet to fit? I honestly still haven't installed my plastic over the Harley needles..

2005 Chrome Orange Elise
Mod list: Stainless shift knob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 06:29 AM

Terry, what paint did you use to paint the Harley needles? This picture is exactly what I'm looking for.
post #43 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 07:05 AM
Arch. Project Manager

Nessel look at post #18 for your answer

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.

post #44 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 08:09 AM

Don't know how I totally missed that post. Thanks!
post #45 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner98 View Post
Nice comparison! Do you know the heights of the needles, and if there's any work to get the plastic cover sheet to fit? I honestly still haven't installed my plastic over the Harley needles..
if you chop the stem part of the needle partially, they'll all clear the space for plexiglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Terry, what paint did you use to paint the Harley needles? This picture is exactly what I'm looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferpkt View Post
Nessel look at post #18 for your answer
looks like someone answered it
just FYI, i find sanding paper useful for removing the existing paint.
Also, it'd be good to blue tape/mask the sides.

Last edited by t955152; 10-07-2014 at 10:26 AM.
post #46 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 11:10 AM

So I got a couple people asking which needles I have. I honestly thought they were either Harley or GTO needles. From the pics posted for comparison though, it looks like the Alibaba needles are the closest match.

I think I got mine from Kamsden (I must have Alzheimers I swear) and mine came white, presumably stripped and repainted. They look fine to me and I want to get more sets so if anyone has an actual Alibaba (or whatever) link to those style needles - even if they're red, please post it!
post #47 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 12:37 PM

Does it look janky being painted by a brush or is the paint self leveling? Would it be a better ideal to toss in some reducer and spray it in a airbrush gun?
post #48 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 11:09 PM

I like the Harley needles. t955155 do you happen to have an extra set of those?
post #49 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 07:14 AM
Arch. Project Manager

Below are 2 e-bay posts for the 27mm Harley needles. Both have more than 10 available. They are slightly different than the original 31mm Harley needles. The light pipe used to light the needles is half way covered by a hat connected to the shaft causing low lighting of the needle(see below).
My thoughts are if you could drill/dremel some openings in the hat(underside) and remove the white paint in those areas of the needle it would allow more light to enter the needle. I ordered a set to experiment with and will post the results once received and I have spare time.

Harley needle version 2

Harley needle version 2

Remember to offer $10 a piece when ordering 2 needles through make an offer.

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
post #50 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 08:36 AM

Did anyone try and message him to see if he has the older style needles?
post #51 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Arch. Project Manager

Quote:
Did anyone try and message him to see if he has the older style needles?
I'm not sure anyone has extra that didn't already sell them. I'll tell you what Nessal if you can find me a set of the white alibaba needles, I'll trade you either my 31mm or 27mm Harley needles, your choice!

2005 BRP ELISE:
post #52 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 12:30 PM

I actually have a set of the original needles posted here. Was just wondering if people who need them actually emailed him about it. Appreciate the offer though.
post #53 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldking View Post
I like the Harley needles. t955155 do you happen to have an extra set of those?
no i dont

Quote:
Does it look janky being painted by a brush or is the paint self leveling? Would it be a better ideal to toss in some reducer and spray it in a airbrush gun?
they look pretty good! if can help you paint them if you want haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferpkt View Post
Below are 2 e-bay posts for the 27mm Harley needles. Both have more than 10 available. They are slightly different than the original 31mm Harley needles. The light pipe used to light the needles is half way covered by a hat connected to the shaft causing low lighting of the needle(see below).
My thoughts are if you could drill/dremel some openings in the hat(underside) and remove the white paint in those areas of the needle it would allow more light to enter the needle. I ordered a set to experiment with and will post the results once received and I have spare time.

Harley needle version 2

Harley needle version 2

Remember to offer $10 a piece when ordering 2 needles through make an offer.
they look great as well!
post #54 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Arch. Project Manager

Another thought on the 27mm Harley needles that Bob had mentioned a while back was to widen the opening in the display to allow more light to hit the existing light pipe since its located away from the shaft. I'm going to try and look at some options over the weekend.

2005 BRP ELISE:
post #55 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 06:36 AM
Such moderate

Garage
I can't get my lcd to seat when it is actually mounted in the cluster bracket. I pulled the new lcd out and pushed the pins into the board myself and it works just fine when I plug in the cluster. But when I actually mount the lcd with the four screws, and put the cluster board back on with the screws, the lcd won't come on. The header pins on the new lcd are pretty much the same length as the old one. Anyone have a trick for this?
post #56 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doge View Post
I can't get my lcd to seat when it is actually mounted in the cluster bracket. I pulled the new lcd out and pushed the pins into the board myself and it works just fine when I plug in the cluster. But when I actually mount the lcd with the four screws, and put the cluster board back on with the screws, the lcd won't come on. The header pins on the new lcd are pretty much the same length as the old one. Anyone have a trick for this?
I replied in the gauge cluster modification thread. If you still run into snags and want to know more about my method just ping me with a PM and send some pics if it's still not clear.
post #57 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 01:15 PM
Arch. Project Manager

[Instrument Cluster Modification] A brief guide to upgrading your needles and...

27mm Harley needle Update!

Did some slight mods to the underside hat. Shaved the hat at the back of the shaft keeping the structural integrity intact(improved lighting). Also I drilled two holes in front of the shaft toward the edges of the needle itself(marginal improvement). Note there are two dimples at the front that need to remain. I taped the needles in place on the display and used a single LED light to simulate the light rings at the base of the shaft. You can also make the gauge display openings slightly larger for even more lighting improvement if you choose. I have not done that in these pics. Sorry for the poor cell phone pics.
Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1413148287.193138.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  74.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1413148316.076806.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  566.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1413148343.793230.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  574.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1413148369.644243.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  724.4 KB

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2005 BRP ELISE:

Last edited by surferpkt; 10-13-2014 at 05:47 AM.
post #58 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Arch. Project Manager

[Instrument Cluster Modification] A brief guide to upgrading your needles and...

For those that like the Harley needles but missed out on the 31mm version.
With slight modification good lighting can be achieved with 27mm Harley needles that are still available for purchase.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2005 BRP ELISE:
post #59 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 02:38 PM

nice work on the gauge Terry! it's a quality product.
post #60 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinvb View Post
nice work on the gauge Terry! it's a quality product.
thanks justin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in