Looking for Recommended sandwich plate adaptor for gauges - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By exlondoner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Looking for Recommended sandwich plate adaptor for gauges

I am going to install a oil pressure/temp gauge on my 2007 Exige S. Looking for part brand/number and where to buy quality sandwich plate adapter with two ports for gauges.

I plan to use the MWR threads to address known OEM bolt faults also
MWR Oil Filter Union Kit ? Lotus Elise Exige 2ZZ All | Monkeywrench Racing

Current 2007 Exige S TOURING PACK, TRACK PACK, LSD, Aspen White, BOE Torque300, Tank,2bular muffler, Larini header/Decat, RLS Intercooler, Intercooler Vent Ducts/tubes PENSKE SINGLE-ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS, CUPdiscs-Front ULTRAdisc rear, Lotus AP 4 Pot Calipers, Fidanza lightweight flywheel, ACT HDSS Clutch......way too much to list..

Past 2014 Arial Atom
Past Lotus- 2005 Elise, BOE REV400TVS,Nikasil SB, Arias pistons,....et cetera-track monster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:07 AM
UK Exile

Go with Glowforge, been running the plate for a few years and it comes with a few ports.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:20 AM

I just went through a similar hunt but decided on going with the BOE oil pan instead of changing the sandwich plate. That pan has a bung for the temp probe, and I am going to use the factory pressure location. Just the nightmare of getting that original pan off is enough to make me wish I had just gone with just a different sandwich plate. When I used to live up near you (assuming you are in Lake Orion as your profile says on here), my first stop was always to see if MWR had any used parts lying around

@exlondoner I think you were a victim of autocorrect there. Did you mean the Mishimoto plate?

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:29 AM
UK Exile

Appologies it's been a few years, I mean't GlowShift sandwich plate.

It's an excellent plate and a simple install, it is the route I would recommend.

Max speed is also another reputable brand.

Last edited by exlondoner; 04-22-2016 at 05:37 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
I just went through a similar hunt but decided on going with the BOE oil pan instead of changing the sandwich plate. That pan has a bung for the temp probe, and I am going to use the factory pressure location. Just the nightmare of getting that original pan off is enough to make me wish I had just gone with just a different sandwich plate. When I used to live up near you (assuming you are in Lake Orion as your profile says on here), my first stop was always to see if MWR had any used parts lying around

@exlondoner I think you were a victim of autocorrect there. Did you mean the Mishimoto plate?
I have the GPan that has one bung Ican use for temp hook up. I will look where the factory pressure location is but might be more easy for sandwich plate? Yes in Lake Orion, MWR is a 30min drive for me and a go to place for OEM gaskets and parts on the fast.

Current 2007 Exige S TOURING PACK, TRACK PACK, LSD, Aspen White, BOE Torque300, Tank,2bular muffler, Larini header/Decat, RLS Intercooler, Intercooler Vent Ducts/tubes PENSKE SINGLE-ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS, CUPdiscs-Front ULTRAdisc rear, Lotus AP 4 Pot Calipers, Fidanza lightweight flywheel, ACT HDSS Clutch......way too much to list..

Past 2014 Arial Atom
Past Lotus- 2005 Elise, BOE REV400TVS,Nikasil SB, Arias pistons,....et cetera-track monster
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

OK now recommendations on a single Oil pressure/temp 2" gauge, I ordered the BWR gauge bracket.

thanks, Alan

Past 2014 Arial Atom
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 06:16 AM

I went with this but am still in the process of hooking it all up:

I'd lean towards the temp sensor in the pan rather than the sandwich plate. The sandwich plate will read a little colder, more so the closer the probe is to the return line.

The tricky part I'm hitting now with the pressure sensor is that I don't have a socket set big enough. I ordered a 24mm from what I could find, so I'll find out tonight if that was the right size or not. As a first principle, I don't like adapters, but sometimes it is worth it given how much more work it would take to do it without one.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post

Are you going to replace the factory Oil pressure hook up or do some kind of T fitting to have both? starting to like this option vrs sandwich plate @cyow5

Past 2014 Arial Atom
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz5gxt View Post
Are you going to replace the factory Oil pressure hook up or do some kind of T fitting to have both? starting to like this option vrs sandwich plate @cyow5
The stock oil light really just comes on once the engine is hosed anyways, so I have no qualms with removing that connector. Rather than T in, I am just going to really on my programmable pressure gauge to give me a warning earlier than the stock one would've anyways. I've been lazy so far and not looked into how the stock pressure switch works, but my guess is that it grounds to the engine block when pressure drops below the threshold. If that's the case, simply unplugging it will keep that light off and all will be dandy. Otherwise, I'll just manually ground it out. Shouldn't be too hard to trick the ECU into thinking the sensor is still there.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 06:55 AM
UK Exile

I wouldn't remove the factory warning sensor...

What happens if your aftermarket gauge sensor decides to fail? Yes it happens, the factory should come on around 2-5 psi and offer some protection.

I also don't recommend using a T adaptor at the factory point if you do decide to tap into the pan and use both (stock and aftermarket), the vibrations will definitely make it loose, and we all know what to expect thereafter.

Using a sandwich plate is a simple and proven method.

Good luck with whatever you decide
qz5gxt likes this.

Last edited by exlondoner; 04-22-2016 at 09:55 AM. Reason: mobile phone typos
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 07:17 AM

Looking for Recommended sandwich plate adaptor for gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlondoner View Post
I wouldn't remove the factory warning sensor...

What happens if your aftermarket gauge sensor decides to fail? Yes it happens, the factory should come on around 2-5 psi and offer some protection.

I also don't recommend using a T adaptor at the factory of you don decide to tap into the pan and use both.

Using a sandwich plate is simple and a proven method.

Goodluck with whatever you decide

If the aftermarket gauge fails, then I'll handle that then. It would only be a problem if the gauge fails and the engine gets a leak at the exact same time, which I'm comfortable with those odds. I'd rather be able to see the problem coming than only get a warning after it has grown to be a huge problem. Plus, I'd rather use the location that Toyota used rather than a location elsewhere that may have a different pressure reading anyways.

I honestly don't remember; what was the oil pressure scare you had a while back? Is that applicable here?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 08:20 AM

I have the glowshift oil pressure gauge and the sandwich plate. The only issue I have is that every couple of years I have to replace pressure sending unit as The vibration kills it. It may be just poor quality unit but they are pretty cheap at $15. I just buy a couple to have on hand. I would like to put sender at factory port with a T. Tommy

05 elise ardent red sport touring VF1 s/c, pro rad, arquay twin, etc etc etc
05 elise GG sport touring BWR s/c Charliex s/p dent in chassis=total loss
17 BMW 428i conv wifes car
03 GMC Yukon
90 eclipse gsx 420 whp sold
04 civic si sold
13 Ford focus ST
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

If I go with glow shift which thread size sandwich adapter is for our cars? (Lotus Elise/Exige)

Oil Filter Sandwich Adapters

Past 2014 Arial Atom
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 10:18 AM
UK Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz5gxt View Post
If I go with glow shift which thread size sandwich adapter is for our cars? (Lotus Elise/Exige)

Oil Filter Sandwich Adapters

Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter - 3/4 unf-16
Item# GS-AF2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in