New LED tail light replacement option for Elise/Exige - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool New LED tail light replacement option for Elise/Exige

I just completed my LED tail light replacement project today. It came out better than I expected! I posted a video on YouTube. I needed all new tail lights for the Silver 05' Elise I am working on so I worked this as an option to OEM. I like them so much I put a set in my Chrome Orange 05' Elise. I can produce these for others if there is any interest.

Thanks for watching....
Attached Images

CloudySkys likes this.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I took this video at dusk because my attempts to film in the dark did not work well. Does anyone have any tips on the best way to film very bright object in the dark?
Thanks in advance for any help!

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:04 PM

Wow nice work! I'm subscribed for when mine go out!

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So I added up the numbers and I think I can put together a full kit for around $250 for anyone interested. There are other possible configurations too.
  • Silver inner/silver outer as in the video. (my favorite) Outer does all functions except B/U lights.
  • Red mirrored outer/silver inner. Same function as above, just changes the color of the outside lens.
  • Red mirror outer/Red mirror inner/additional LED light for B/U functions. Would have the same functionality as the standard Lotus lights but moves the B/U to a seperate light fixture
I have not done the last configuration but it would be simple to find an additional B/U light to mount above the license plate. Wiring to that light would be simple. I can put up videos for configuration 2 if there is any interest. Option 3 might take a little more work because I would need to source that fixture. I had no plans to go that route on my cars.
Thanks for the interest.

Central Florida
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 06:43 PM

Nice! Interested....
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Reviving this thread. I can do kits for $225 because prices went down on the supplies. Anyone interested? Complete kit with 4 lights and wiring harness. Plug and play, just unplug yours and plug in these.

Central Florida
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 07:54 PM

Do you have a picture/video of the second option with the red outer?
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 11:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yue Du View Post
Do you have a picture/video of the second option with the red outer?
AGREED^^
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry, I missed the post by Yue Du. I will try to make a video in the next few days. I will PM both of you when I have it up on YouTube.
Happy New Year,
RL

Central Florida
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:31 PM

If you do make a video, can you please post a link? I'm sure others would like to see it as well.

Thanks for developing new products for our cars!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliponthetele View Post
If you do make a video, can you please post a link? I'm sure others would like to see it as well.

Thanks for developing new products for our cars!
I certainly will. I will be putting it on YouTube, just like I did with the original mirrored option.

Happy New Year!

Central Florida
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay, finally got the video up for the Red Type 2 tail lights at
The lights are actually very very red but the video does not capture that. The original tail lights posted are now termed Type 1 because they were the original. Hope you like them!

Central Florida
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:37 PM
The Enforcer

Do the Type 2 not have backup lights, or am I missing something?

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
You are correct and very observant. These require a extra backup light. I ordered the oval version of these and will mount/wire it up when it comes in. I'll post photos then.

Central Florida
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:39 AM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
You are correct and very observant. These require a extra backup light. I ordered the oval version of these and will mount/wire it up when it comes in. I'll post photos then.
Thanks. I prefer the red version myself. I think your pricing is very reasonable.

Thanks for posting the cigarette plug to USB ports and voltage indicator modification thread. That should probably be a sticky in the Uberpost.

San
shay2nak likes this.

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Thanks. I prefer the red version myself. I think your pricing is very reasonable.

Thanks for posting the cigarette plug to USB ports and voltage indicator modification thread. That should probably be a sticky in the Uberpost.

San
That would be cool. How do I do that?

Central Florida
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:46 AM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
That would be cool. How do I do that?
I just did it. Uberpost -> MODIFICATIONS -> Replacements -> 21. Cigarette Lighter to Dual Outlet USB Receptacle with Digital Voltmeter

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/...31/#post567607

San
shay2nak likes this.

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Fantastic, thanks. You may want to add the following to #3 on the list. https://www.gregsraceparts.com/produ...-lid-strut-kit Love mine, took the lidbone off because it rattled and rubbed my spark plug cover. GRP's kit is awesome.

Central Florida
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:08 PM

Garage
These lights look great, I like the Type 2. I will likely be contacting you to order a set in the next couple months. Interested to see how you do the reverse lights.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:36 PM

I'd be interested in a set of the ones posted above in post 12 pending how to get backup lights to work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in