No power to fuse 17 - LH Dip Beam (Headlight) is dead. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Question No power to fuse 17 - LH Dip Beam (Headlight) is dead.

Trying to diagnose/fix the reason my LH headlight (dip beam) is not receiving any power. RH works fine.

Multimeter on the connector at the headlight = no power
Multimeter on Fuse 17 (LH Headlight) = no power. Fuse 18 (RH headlight) has power.

I'm at a loss what to test next or where the source of the issue may reside.

Anyone have any ideas why one fuse in my fuse box is not getting power? I can't tell from the wiring the diagram if this is a switchpack issue or something else. No idea how to test that theory out either.

Also, can I just "bridge" fuse 18 to 17 to get power flowing? Is that safe?

I need some help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Update: As it turns out the fuse box is receiving power. I apparently have a short/break in the wire between the fuse box and the actual headlight.

Does anyone know what is between the fuse box and the actual headlight? The wires in/out of Fuse 17 and 18 are brown, yet the wires running to the headlights are blue and red. So something must be in the middle. switchpack?

Interim solution: I tapped the power line for the RH headlight and ran a wire over to the LH unit with an inline 10amp fuse. Still have to test this out; however it should work.. The power draw on the RH light alone is ~4.0amps running on a 10amp fuse.

................................./-> RH Headlight
Battery --> Fuse 18 ---
.................................\-> New Inline 10amp fuse --> LH Headlight.

Last edited by mwehnes; 08-01-2016 at 04:44 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:38 PM

I had something similar happen to me last year - I thought it was just a bulb so I asked the dealer to handle it while it was in getting new tires mounted, but it was some kind of a headlight control module widget that had to get replaced... I confess to not asking a lot of questions because well, they just fixed it. Perhaps someone else has had first-hand experience with it?

-M

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:51 AM

I had a similar problem, but the RH rather than the left side. The problem is likely the switch pack,
specifically, one or more relays have failed. This link details the removal and repair -

How to Repair a Lotus Switch Pack ? Or, why don?t my Elise?s parking lights work? | Z-Car

If you do the repair, the small relays are available on ebay; the larger ones are available from Amazon.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Wow.. Could they have picked a worse place to locate the switch pack or what? Why not next to the fuse box under the access panel.

Thanks for the replies.. Fortunately my interim solution outlined above works! Cost me about 1hr of time and $10 total to fix it (I used waterproof connectors otherwise cost would have been $4).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post
Wow.. Could they have picked a worse place to locate the switch pack or what? Why not next to the fuse box under the access panel.

Thanks for the replies.. Fortunately my interim solution outlined above works! Cost me about 1hr of time and $10 total to fix it (I used waterproof connectors otherwise cost would have been $4).
Did you ever manage to find the solution? I'm in the same boat as you and really sick of trying to trace this issue. My Switch Pack is good to go and so is the fuse. So it's something between the fuse and the connector...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacarrier View Post
Did you ever manage to find the solution? I'm in the same boat as you and really sick of trying to trace this issue. My Switch Pack is good to go and so is the fuse. So it's something between the fuse and the connector...
As far as I know it is the switch pack in my case. I never found anything between the fuse and light. The wiring diagram didn't show anything, if I recall correctly, and I was not about to pull the front clam to investigate.

The fix I outlined works great and takes no time to perform. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in