Oil Temp Indicator - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 03:17 PM

That's basically what I'm going for, although I'm going for a center console display rather than a cluster replacement and I'm going ARM for the CPU (probably a Freescale Kinetis part) since I don't think the price/performance of AVRs is very competitive anymore.

Initially I was going to do a full cluster replacement, either with my own display or by using an '08 dash, adjusting the speed, and pushing oil temp / pressure into the cluster using the fault display messaging.

But then I realized that my car would have not actual / tampered mileage as soon as I pulled the cluster, and I decided to go for an accessory view instead. I'm working on a set of shift lights that mount to the dashboard and a display to replace the radio in the center console.

Keep us updated as your project sounds awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri3d View Post
But then I realized that my car would have not actual / tampered mileage as soon as I pulled the cluster...
Damn. Had not considered the odometer issue. Maybe I'll look into keeping it powered and incrementing in parallel with a replacement dash.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
Thanks for the resources. I'm working on the idea of a 7" LCD from 4D Systems, an arduino mega2560 (for multiple serial communications), the OBDII UART adapter and an array of analog sensors to build a replacement gauge cluster.

Something like this feature set would be awesome:
- RPM bar graph with shift light(s)
- Digital speedo (corrected/calibrated using GPS datalogs)
- Fuel level from stock sensor
- Water temp from stock sensor
- Oil temp from non-stock sensor
- Oil pressure from non-stock sensor
- RPM (and temp?) based low-oil-pressure warning system
- CEL display (maybe even the code # displayed)
Saw this recently in Grassroots I believe: Stack 7" ST9918 LCD Display

I believe I saw that it can have an odo/trip display, fuel level, shift light, CAN integration, etc..

2005 LRG Lotus Elise

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:02 AM

The AIM gear Phil runs seems to work really well, too, but it's just not as much fun if I don't make it myself!

Plus I think that Stack setup is $4k or more - I certainly won't have 1KHz datalogging when I'm done, but I'll be in at well under a tenth the price.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 06:08 PM
because racecar

Really cool. Saw this in person and wondered what it was about. I actually specialized in this sort of stuff in university, before arduino was a thing. One of my professors wrote the book on AVRs helped with design, etc. We used atmels software and codevision instead of arduino. Did a lot of atmel based projects.

I think a little LCD with actual temperature readout would be functionally better but how you have it in the car looked stock.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 07:43 AM
He's on fire!

question - why did you go with AEM 30-2012 vs AEM 30-2013?

I'm a little torn

the 2013 has a lower temp range (302 F) but comes with a nice weatherproof DTM connector.
the 2012 has a higer temp range but the connector isn't as nice

Yes there's a panel that helps keep the elements out, but I imagine it still gets pretty wet down there if you drive in the rain.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:06 AM

An alternate approach, if you don't need the flexibility that Arduino provides (such as data logging), you can use discrete analog electronic components: with a dual comparator (LM2903, ~$1) and a handful of resistors, you'd have high & low oil temp awareness. Feed that to a dual-LED, and you're done. Could do the same thing for oil pressure, but feed it to an LED at eye level.

Here's what I used on my custom dash for my Seven-ish clone in case someone wants to try it. The Yellow LED stays on until oil is 170F. Both LEDs are off from 170-280, and the Red LED comes on at 280F. Granted, the resistor values and thresholds depend on the resistance behavior of your chosen sensor, which for me was a Speedhut G-SNDR-07, 1/8"-27 NPT.

Name:  Oil_Temp_2903.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  46.6 KB

Regarding sensor resistance, in testing multiple sensors (even two of the same part number), I found up to a 10% variance from the supplier's published datasheet. To measure, I got some olive oil, a meat thermometer, and tried not to burn the place down. With the temp vs resistance data recorded, it ensures that my circuit reports the temperature accurately.

Name:  Sender_calibration.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  149.7 KB
Turbopun likes this.

2014 Stalker XL, #22
"If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Toedrag... there are definitely some simple ways to accomplish a similar end result. Thanks for the info. Another characteristic to keep in mind is that these type of fluid sensors have a time constant, i.e., the time required to react to a step change in the temperature. I believe the 30-2012 from AEM is a 10 second time constant to reach ~63% of the step change. Oil and water temperatures are pretty much quasi static, so it shouldn't make a significant difference in application but could show up as variance when doing a bench top calibration if you don't give them enough time to stabilize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
question - why did you go with AEM 30-2012 vs AEM 30-2013?

I'm a little torn

the 2013 has a lower temp range (302 F) but comes with a nice weatherproof DTM connector.
the 2012 has a higer temp range but the connector isn't as nice

Yes there's a panel that helps keep the elements out, but I imagine it still gets pretty wet down there if you drive in the rain.
Sorry I missed this question. It's been long enough now that I don't remember... I can think of two possible answers:

1. maybe the 30-2013 wasn't available when I selected a sensor
2. maybe I chose the 30-2012 for the larger temp range since I've seen cars reach well north of 300 F at various motorsport events (Corvettes at auto-x in the summer).

2006 Lotus Elise
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:49 PM

Garage
I am glad this thread got bumped, really got me thinking...

I would like to have oil temp, oil pressure, boost pressure, and a knock light. This might be the way for me, seems like a fun project.

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:54 PM

I thought it would be fun to have a pass through to my 7 inch rear view screen to overlay the oil pressure temp etc over the camera image maybe turn the whole screen red on low oil pressure
You guys get to work on that
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:03 PM

Places like Auber instruments have platinum rtd sensors that are about the best you can get for accuracy for less than 30 bucks in stainless pipe thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in