Radar Absorbing Paint? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB
I had an interesting experience with this last week. I was accelerating away from a stop sign and noticed one of those roadside speed monitor signs . I was about half way between the stop sign behind me and the speed sign when I first saw it. I was going about 45 mph at the time, but the sign was slowly advancing 23, 24, 25. As I got almost on top of the sign, it jumped from 26 to 46 (50 indicated). As I was wondering what's up with that, I noticed a Lexus GS 470 about 10-12 car lengths behind me also accelerating away from the stop sign. The roadside radar was locked onto the Lexus until I was right on top of it!
so... your saying if your going to speed, do it around somone elses car?

too bad the elise pulls away from most any car on the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempai
so... your saying if your going to speed, do it around someone else's car?
Many years ago, one of the car magazines did a test of radar absorbing panels. The attached flat radar absorbing panels* onto the front of a 911 and tested how various radars locked on to the car. Completely impractical, but a fun test. There approached the radar at a set speed of around 35 MPH and measured where they got the lock. During one of the tests, the radar suddenly locked on at 65 MPH. Then they realized that an 18 wheeler had just crested the hill, and the radar had locked on it even though it was very, very far away.

The point that they made was that if you could make your car "invisible" to radar, you could end up getting someone else's ticket since the cop would think they were clocking you. Then they commented on the fact that if you were going to go to the trouble and expense to make you car "invisible", you would probably be better off with someone else's ticket anyway...

*The test used flat panels of radar absorbing foam of some kind. Not water proof, ugly as all get out, and very expensive.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen
Then they commented on the fact that if you were going to go to the trouble and expense to make you car "invisible", you would probably be better off with someone else's ticket anyway...
"Your honor, that radar signature can't possibly be mine, my car is certified to be invisible to radar." Yeah, that'll work.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 01:11 AM

The triangle cones used in radar ranges are a little large but there are thinner absorbers available. There is a Camaro project car which took this approach: RCS: Radar Cross Section and Stealth - CamaroTech.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in